40+ Workout Challenge (New Every Month)!

Options

Replies

• fitnfun1
    fitnfun1 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The winter wonderland vacation was fun. The snow shoeing was a big calorie burn. Bikeskiing not as much of a burn, but it was loads of fun. I didn't have time for the ice skating.

It is good to be back home too since I can get back to a more normal routine.

Sherrill - I am glad you are healing so quickly. Air squats are great, and I love the one leg hula hoop idea. Be careful when you do get to put some weight on it.

Mspix- Yeah, this time of year is challenging with workouts and calories. Glad to see you mixing the workouts up.

Elimay- 30 Day Shred workouts are fab. Can you tell us what you mean by power knees? Is this similar to a squat? I also like stationary biking. I use a rowing machine and a Nordic track when I am pressed for time and want to watch tv.

I hope you are all enjoying this holiday week too.
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    We had our holiday plans early this year since my step daughter was only here until Saturday. That's okay. I had a lazy day yesterday, but today I am back at it with the 30 Day Shred. I might take a walk today too.

I hope you all have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy Hanukkah and Good Kwanzaa!

:O)
  • mspix
    mspix Posts: 153
    Options
    Hope you all had a fabulous holiday, I sure did! I missed my workouts for FOUR days! Holy cow! Back at it today with the good old dependable Turbo Jam!

I am thinking about ordering another Amy Dixon workout, 'Breathless'. Looks fairly intense, definitely not dancey, but easy to grasp moves so that you can concentrate on the sweating. I like the idea of mixing something like that in periodically.

So, for today:

40 min TJ Cardio Party 2

Here is to a great week!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Okay, level 2 of Cardio Shred is definitely a little bit tougher. On this one, I don't feel like I'm going to die until the very end. Whew! I might do some rowing tonight while watching tv.

Mspix - I'll wait until you get the 2nd Amy Dixon before I decide. I saw the sample and it is not dancey, like you said, but she is inventive with her moves like Chalene.

I wish Chalene would come out with a 40+ workout. The cardio and ST combo in one session is making a HUGE! difference.

I don't think I will ever again do a cardio alone or ST alone. It doesn't work as fast.

Sherrill - I hope you are mending well. How are you?

I hope the rest of you chime in this week. It's the holidays, but it is also a good time for taking time for yourself too! :flowerforyou:
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    December's Challenge:

40 minutes of cardio 3-4 days a week
    3 days of Strength Training/added 10 minutes of yoga/Tai Chi/Pilates/stretching

Hey All! I decided to join this challenge because I really need motivation to add ST to my workout plan. Get me on a cardio machine or outdoors walking and I can go on and on but I resist (pun intended) lifting weights. This is kinda crazy because when I do get in there and get started I really do get into it.

Sunday: 47 Brisk Walk;
    Monday: 30 walk moderate pace;
    Tuesday: 30 Eliptical Machine & 30 Minutes Treadmill (4.0 pace)

7838983.png
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Abfit- Thanks for joining us. We actually need to figure out our January challenge soon. The ST has been key for making a difference for our over 40 age group. I am finding that cardio combined with ST produces great results.

I think the elliptical would count as both if you can change up resistance. Love the pun, by the way!
  • mspix
    Options
    Abfit: Welcome! I relate to your resistance (lol) to strength training. However, as Fitn said, I have discovered that the combo of cardio and ST has really sped up the progress! Also the addition of stretching on a regular basis has really made a difference in my flexibility!

Fitn: I am totally rooting you on, the Shred sounds like a killer workout. I don't care for Jillian, so I probably won't pick up her workouts, but I do admire the results I have seen others achieve! I agree with you in the continuation of combining ST+Cardio whenever possible.

I am rethinking the second Amy Dixon, and may go with a more formal kettle bell type workout. I really like the two segments that mimic the KB (she uses regular handweights).

I would TOTALLY buy a 40+ workout by Chalene!

Sherrill: Looks like your mending well! Keep up the good work!

Wednesdays work: All Amy Dixon: 40 min cardio/st combo+ 15 min stretch
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    So, next week is January. What should we do for next month's challenge? I'm wondering if we all have kettle bells if we should give this type of workout a shot for the month.

What do you think? Any thoughts?
  • sherrillg
    sherrillg Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi All! Sorry I've been a little overworked and under rested and been hitting the sack early the past week.

I got my stitches out yesterday and was given the ok to walk! YIPPEE! I can get my running shoe on but it isn't nearly as comfy as my Crocs! still pretty tender on the outside of the foot and the shoe pushes just a bit there. But...I'm walking :smile: Heck I was nearly dancing yesterday. Doc was very happy with the X-rays and said not to do anything rash and not to do anything that hurts...i just looked at him and smiled! He knows me too well!

I'll start posting my workouts again next week, hoping that I"ll be back to a reasonable schedule by then.

Everyone take care and have a Wonderful New Year!!
  • mspix
    Options
    Excellent news, Sherrill! :flowerforyou:

Fitn: I think the inclusion of a couple workouts dedicated to kettle bell would be great, if everyone agrees. I also think it might be fun to challenge ourselves with creative ways to workout without dvd's...like hula hooping, jumping rope, stair running, etc. Maybe just 10 minute intervals that we squeeze in whenever opportunity strikes. I am really finding a love of the 10-20 minute workouts and am always looking for something different (a little ADD? maybe, lol!)
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Today I did level 2 of Cardio shred. I'm thinking I would love to find a circuit that is either old school aerobics and weights or dance moves and weights. I'm looking! I am trying to be creative with Jillian's moves and put a little more dance into the cardio moves. As long as my heart rate is up, right?

Sherrill - Fantastic news! I agree with the Doc though, don't do anything rash. I did, and I ended up with a few more months recovery. You are doing great. Light and easy walking is good too.

mspix - We are so on the same page. I've been thinking about the shorter workouts too. Although, I do like my DVD's for those spurts as well. :wink: I have a few of the 10 Minute Solution DVD's as well as a few 20 minute workouts in my library.

So, maybe we should try a schedule like this?

January's Challenge

5-10 minute meditation in the morning - set an intention for the day! Breathe slowly.
    5-10 minute meditation in the evening - gratitude session (count your blessings), positive thoughts and prayers for others. Breathe slowly.

6 days on, one day off

Sunday Warm-up 3 min.- 10 minutes of cardio - 10 minutes of strength training - 10 minutes of cardio - 2 min. of stretch
    Monday 20 minute kettlebell workout (let us know if you do not have a kettlebell or need a good workout) - 10 min yoga
    Tuesday Warm-up 3 min.- 10 minutes of cardio - 10 minutes of strength training - 10 minutes of cardio - 2 min. of stretch
    Wednesday 20 minute kettlebell workout - 10 min yoga
    Thursday Warm-up 3 min.- 10 minutes of cardio - 10 minutes of strength training - 10 minutes of cardio - 2 min. of stretch
    Friday Day off or fun exercise day 20-40 minutes (I will be doing a dance workout or going outside to play)
    Saturday Day off or fun exercise day 20-40 minutes

Your circuit days (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday) can be done at different intervals during the day or all at once. I do know, however, that doing it all at once will challenge your body faster than if you take a break. In the spirit of fitting it all in to a busy schedule, do what is best for you, and if you are able, do movements that combine different muscle groups at the same time.

Does this challenge sound good for January????
  • mspix
    Options
    I'm in for January! Sounds like a fun challenge with lots of variety to keep me from hitting the boredom wall!
  • sherrillg
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan!

I'm ecstatic tonight! I just walked 2.5miles at a 4.5mph pace!!! WooHoo! I got in a relatively good ST session yesterday but my joints are all swollen because I had to withhold my biological drugs for the past month and can't resume until the 10th. That felt good too! I feel almost human again!!!

Newbies...I'll be friending you before the end of the night! Welcome and glad you're here to join us!

Let's kick some butt and start 2012 off right!!!!

Happy New Year and be safe!
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Posting this again for any newbies.

2012 - January's Challenge

5-10 minute meditation in the morning - set an intention for the day! Breathe slowly.
    5-10 minute meditation in the evening - gratitude session (count your blessings), positive thoughts and prayers for others. Breathe slowly.

6 days on, one day off

Sunday Warm-up 3 min.- 10 minutes of cardio - 10 minutes of strength training - 10 minutes of cardio - 2 min. of stretch
    Monday 20 minute kettlebell workout (let us know if you do not have a kettlebell or need a good workout) - 10 min yoga
    Tuesday Warm-up 3 min.- 10 minutes of cardio - 10 minutes of strength training - 10 minutes of cardio - 2 min. of stretch
    Wednesday 20 minute kettlebell workout - 10 min yoga
    Thursday Warm-up 3 min.- 10 minutes of cardio - 10 minutes of strength training - 10 minutes of cardio - 2 min. of stretch
    Friday Day off or fun exercise day 20-40 minutes (I will be doing a dance workout or going outside to play)
    Saturday Day off or fun exercise day 20-40 minutes

Your circuit days (Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday) can be done at different intervals during the day or all at once. I do know, however, that doing it all at once will challenge your body faster than if you take a break. In the spirit of fitting it all in to a busy schedule, do what is best for you, and if you are able, do movements that combine different muscle groups at the same time.
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Sherrill - glad you are starting to feel like yourself again.

I went to Target today to get a few new things for the year that we have put off. Of course I had to visit the exercise/dvd section. I found a new Leslie Sansone 5 mile walk that has two strength training intervals. I also picked up the Ripped in 30 - the next set in the Jillian Circuit training series.

Tonight, I am sitting down with a calendar to figure out all the workouts to follow the challenge. This is going to be interesting! I hope the changing of the dvd to split up the workouts won't be too much of a pain.

For the Sansone workout, it took mile 4 to get me feeling like I was all worked out. I also added weight to the 2nd aerobic mile interval. I ended at 4 miles since it was about 60 min. The entire workout is 75 min. to get you 5 miles with warm-up and cool down. That's way too much time for the work week.

I'm also going to start something new and post my week ahead of time to set an intention instead of recapping at the end. I think I used to stick with it more when I had my week set up front. Maybe you could try this with me! :bigsmile:

Here's this week:

Sunday: Leslie Sansone's Walk Slim - 5 min. WU - 4 miles 15 min Cardio - 15 min. ST - 12 min. Cardio - 15 min. ST - 5 min. CD
    Monday: 20 min. Reebok Kettlebell plus 10 min. yoga from 10 Min. Solutions
    Tuesday: TJ 20 min. and Level 3 Cardio Shred
    Wednesday: 20 min. Kettlenetics kettlebell workout plus 10 min. yoga from 10 min. solutions Yoga
    Thursday: 20 min. cardio from 10 minute solutions dvd and Level 2 from Cardio Shred
    Friday/Saturday: Day off or Hip Hop Abs Total Body Workout

I had to add more cardio to the 30 Day Shred since you only get about 6 min. of pure cardio. However, her ST does have a cardio effect. It's a little confusing, and I have to do the other workout first since her workout has you wanting to rest afterward. I think as long as we are getting at least 10-10-10 with cardio and ST mixed, it should be great.

I hope you all had a sensational New Year's Eve, and let's do this!
  • sherrillg
    Options
    Sunday 1/1/12: 200 Crunches; 10mins-bike; 40mins-walk
    Monday 1/2/12: 200 Crunches: 30mins-ST; 20mins-bike; 20mins-walk

Feel like I'm starting the year off right!!

My last biological RA infusion was back in early Nov before I went to Japan. I normally have an infusion every 4 wks but had to stop for the surgery and can't resume until the tenth. I'm SOOO swollen and stiff. I try really hard not to complain about my aches and pains (it does me no good and only makes me focus on it more) but seriously...I had to adjust almost all of my ST today because I couldn't grip the handles "correctly" ARRRGGHH! Just 8 more days! :grumble:

OK...I'm better now, thanks for letting me vent! :wink:

Here's to a GREAT New Year!!! Kick it hard and often! We can conquer this!!!

Sherrill
  • Jillubrink
    Jillubrink Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The 40+ Workout Challenge sounds interesting. I am 43 and it seems like its so much harder to lose weight and tone. What is a "kettlebell"?
  • mspix
    Options
    FITN: I will try to follow your lead, I think you are right, it is may be easier to post the workouts pre-week rather than post. I remember it being less worrisome, if I had it mapped out instead of shooting from the hip. I really like your inclusion of the 5-10 minute meditation.

SHERRILL: I am sorry for the frustration, I can only imagine how that must feel. You're on the right track, you got this :)

JILL: Welcome! It is definitely more challenging to tame the over-40 system into submission, but it can be done! KettleBell:

http://www.amazon.com/Gaiam-Kettlenetics-Slim-Tone-Kit/dp/B001EQW8W2/ref=sr_1_4?s=exercise-and-fitness&ie=UTF8&qid=1325558397&sr=1-4

I have only recently started doing those type of workouts, and I felt it immediately. I am a fan!

Okay my week:

Sunday: Nope. Total recuperation from New Year Eve festivities, lol.
    Monday: 20 min Turbo Jam, 10 Min Amy Dixon Upper Body, 10 Min Amy Dixon Core, 5 Min stretch
    Tuesday: 30 min Amy Dixon, 20 min Yoga
    Wednesday: 40 Min ST (Turbo Sculpt) 10 min stretch
    Thursday: TBD
    Friday: TBD
    Sat: TBD

I am leaving the last three days open, as I am hoping to have a couple of new workouts to add to the mix :bigsmile:
  • fitnfun1
    Options
    Sherrill - You are so amazing. Even with RA you are really kicking it! Are you on a special diet for that too?

mspix - glad you are posting ahead of time. It helps with time too since I don't have to think about a workout - I know which one to put in right away! The meditation is helping me already - I seem to be a little more calm and "whatever" attitude. LOL!

Jill - welcome! I think you will like our group. We change it up every month to make sure our bodies are nice and confused into losing the weight. Over 40 is tough, but we can do this!

The Reebok workout really had me sweating today. I can't believe how effective the kettlebell can be.
  • sabrinaselburg
    sabrinaselburg Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I like the layout of this challenge, is it too late to join for Jan. ? Friend me to keep track of eachother. thank you so much