40 and older with 10lbs or less to lose

Options

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Welcome phetzgetfit to our ever growing, er,expanding...you know what I mean, group.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hello, phetzgetfit--you and I are the same age. My birthday was Jan.29. When is yours? The fact that you were not feeling well points to the fact that you were not eating enough. I had the same problem up until last week. I had surgery then and haven't been able to exercise at all so I had no extra calories to eat. I continued with the same calories that I was eating and guess what !!!! I lost three pounds. I am sure that I will not be able to continue this way though, so I will have to change things as soon as I am fit enough to work out. Good to have you here. Hope you enjoy the group.
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    hi swissmiss. my birthday doesn't come around again until Nov. 14. That's interesting about your surgery and your calorie intake and weight loss. It's a very good age to be, particularly as we explore how to care for our bodies better. I had no idea how tuned out I was most of my life regarding doing that. Never too old to learn though.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Not so sure about the age being good. That is what has contributed to my need for surgery. Well, that and the fact that I gave birth to eight children.:laugh: But, yes, we seem to have more of a desire to keep ourselves healthy. And we really need to keep this in mind. I hope that the two of us will be able to help each other out in our endeavors.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Good morning everyone. I shouldn't even admit this but I had chocolate cake for breakfast. A very nice lady who I work with brought us dinner last night. The cake was included. Well, now that I have that over with for the day, I will do better.:wink:
  • singfree
    Options
    Forget about it!! Today is a new day, learn what triggers binge eating and stay away from it. I cannot keep any junk in the house or I KNOW I will eat it.
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,789 Member
    Options
    Welcome phetzgetfit! I found your situation really interesting in that you've routinely not been eating enough. I'm really happy to hear you've discovered what was going on and that you are doing well now.

I've been eating pretty low calories for a couple of months and upping them over the past two weeks. Last night I was going to bed and thought to myself 'But I'm not tired', which is the first time I've felt that way in quite awhile. And it dawned on me, after reading your post, that it could simply be that I'm eating more now!! I've only been on lower calories for a couple of months, and just the couple hundred calories I've added back are making quite a change. I can't even begin to imagine how much better you feel.

singfree, kudos on dropping the pounds, but even bigger kudos on increasing your fitness levels!

I've got a busy few days ahead of me, but I'm focused on continuing down the path I've been on. My foot is feeling better, so today I'm going to do some step aerobics to see how that feels. I'm baking a cheesecake later today for a charity auction I'm attending Friday night (my cheesecake is being auctioned off!). Baking a dessert like this feels a little strange given that I've been off anything sweet since January. But at least I know I won't be tempted to bid on it! I hope. :tongue:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Hump Day to all and welcome to the newbies.

Speaking of Hump day - anyone losing more humps than you want? I've reached that point in my weight loss/ exercise program that I still have areas I want to improve but I'm starting to lose inches from my bust that I really hate to see leave. Oh well - just a mini-rant for the day.

Plus, wondering when we need to start a new thread? Hate to start one while Alf is still in Puerto Rico but I figure it is getting close to time.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Don't know what is happening. I do have an infection that I am fighting but I sure am tired. Can't think too well. I think I need to just go to bed. Good night.
  • phetzgetfit
    Options
    Hi stiringwendel (ooops i'm not sure i got your name right and now I don't know how to go back wtihout losing this post...so 'll just hope)

thanks for your note. It is amazing how much more energy I have from eating more (and better) foods. Also, I don't get shaky like I used to cause I'm eating more regularly...so I'm not making as many rash food decisions from feeling sick as i used to. I think the thing I really love is I don't feel rigid about my eating anymore...or deprived. If anything, I feel really satisfied and sometimes forget that it's time to eat again (now that's a switch...cause i used to ALWAYS be thinking about food before....mostly about how I shouldn't have it). Now I feel like I can eat in abundance if I just stay with good food and get in my exercise and that's really a nice feeling. I'm also enjoying cooking for the first tme in years. I swear I never liked to cook before because i couldn't wait that long to eat!

Contnued good luck to you.
  • singfree
    Options
    OK, this has not been the greatest week for me. I usually hit the gym daily at 5 am and noon. Due to outside factors, I did not get to the gym (5 am) for 3 days. I did do a few days of bicycling outdoors. It feels good to break it up a bit. I also had a few "cheat " treats. Nothing earth shaking, but I was disappointed in myself. Today I am back on track. I think my body needed the rest for a few days. My thinking is that the change of pace will help in my never-ending quest for fat loss.

Next Sat. 3/28 I am getting some routine bloodwork done. This should tell me how I am doing internally.

The experts are correct. The closer you are to your goal, the results become painfully slow!
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Everyone take care - Swiss I hope you are able to recuperate fully. I'm glad the doctor is keeping a close eye on you but definitely be careful as you hill.

Sing: maybe this change of schedule is a good thing. I know what you mean about painful progress. I've been stuck at the same weight for quite awhile now and am trying to focus on the more subtle changes in my body. When I pulled out my old 6 week body makeover journal, I was shocked to see that my measurements are actually better than they were 5 years ago at a weight 5lbs lighter than my current goal.

phetz: Good point about the rash decisions! I know that when I get to that angry hungry point I tend to just grab something anything. Even when I'm eating in the 1200 calorie range, if I eat 6 times a day that doesn't seem to be much of a problem.
  • mcelledge
    mcelledge Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi ,
    I'm right there with you. 49 years old. lost 22 lbs last year Jan 2008-July 2008 have maintained pretty much up and down 1 to 2 lbs. but still want to lose 5 more. It is very hard . I am down to only allowed 1200 calories a day . that is soooo hard. i am staying hungry. picked up bad habit - eating at night. last year i wouldnt eat after 7:30 PM. THis is getting harder. SO!!! i joined Curves for Women I'm hoping it will help me tone up where i've gotten flabby from losing that weight. I have to do this - my daughter is getting married this summer and i want to be the best i can be. So hang in there!! We ca do this. Any ideas send them my way.
  • singfree
    Options
    Welcome mcelledge to our group! You've come to the right place for friendly (and caring) support. Right now, the only question I have is why you are allowed 1200 cals per day. Something tells me that you are not eating enough. Now please don't misunderstand me. I mean, you might want to increase your cals. slightly and see what happens. Evening snacking is not really a bad thing, it's the quality of those snacks that could be the culprit. Maybe something like a smoothie would curb your appetite and satisfy any cravings you might have. Since you joined Curves, you will probably need a few extra cals to fuel your workouts.
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'd like to join, but I have 18lbs to lose. Will you take me? :smile:

I am 47, have always been fit and eaten well. A nasty divorce, coupled with meeting a wonderful man caused me to stress eat and eat because I was happy at the same time! My new man is also 6' 4" and eats junk (he is getting better) and does not put on weight!

We are getting married September 26th so this is a huge incentive to lose the weight.

I have my first dress fitting mid June and would like to be 140lbs by then if not less. I am 152lbs now and I know I can do it. For the wedding I'd like to be about 130lbs.

Keeping up the fitness is tough as i have a job with irregular hours, but i am getting back to it - ran 5K on the treadmill last night.

I've tried joining groups here but not found the right one yet. I have a feeling this may be the one!

I guess my immediate goal is 12lbs so I neraly qualify for the group! :smile:
  • singfree
    Options
    Welcome to you, runningratty2! Don't worry about the amount of weight you want/ need to lose. We are a bunch of like-minded middle-agers who want to be around to see our grandchildren grow! Please continue to post. Your husband-to-be is a lucky man (having you and can eat anything).
  • MrsDanceBartley
    MrsDanceBartley Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Singfree, you made me smile with your comment.

By the way call me Jane or Ratty for short!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    mcelledge--since you are only allowing yourself 1200 calories a day (that is what I am trying for also) be sure to eat more then just your meals. Never, never, never let your stomach become empty. Keep fresh fruits and veggie, fat-free cheese snacks, rice cakes, etc. close at hand. Have one of these between your meals. You will be more apt to not overeat at the next meal and you will be eating healthy snacks.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    By the way--the three pounds I lost the other day have found their way back to me.:sad:
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Welcome Ratty - Congrats on your upcoming wedding.

Swiss: You aren't weighing yourself too often. I understand I'm a scale junky. I'm doing much better only a couple of times of week now compared to daily. The daily look at the number was driving me nuts because it would vary so much despite always weighing at the same time. I'm really trying to let go of the number and focus on how I look and feel.