40 and older with 10lbs or less to lose

Options

Replies

• ontheedge50
    ontheedge50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm.....anyone know why my ticker showed up twice? What did I do??????
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    I think that we condition ourselves to a certain way of thinking (lo cal, lo cal, lo cal), and when we should eat more, we feel guilty. I know that I am on the right track now, and eating more good quality food is going to help me. Isn't it amazing that we are talking about aerobic being easy? What a great life!

I am so with you on the conditioning of our minds on the whole “low cal, low cal, low cal” ~ I have kept my diet that way for so long and couldn’t understand why I didn’t see the results I wanted. I know it is still a work in progress getting my mind sorted around the idea of eating more is sometimes better; of course as long as it stays clean!
    I still struggle with the thought of “it’s ok to eat your exercise calories” … I have a tendency to feel like I still shouldn’t. I’m trying to trust that it will work! :embarassed:
    So if I don’t see the results in following that idea my question is – do I cut back and not eat the exercise calories or eat more?! That’s the confusing part for me. Right now I am either under (maybe 50 – 150) or right at my calories. Always under on my carbs though …… I will be weighing in again in about a week (when I finish up this phase of the workout I am doing). I’m making progress definitely in my “inches” just want to make sure I’m doing it right on the calories of eating. :wink:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,807 Member
    Options
    Congratulations ontheedge!!! Be proud of your 'double ticker' since it shows your weight loss. :laugh: (In other words, I don't have a clue why it showed up twice).

Swissmiss, I hope you are continuing to improve. I hope you don't think too much about your weight right now and, instead, just focus on getting better. And remember that having surgery and being on medications (if you are on any) can impact your weight (the body can retain fluids after surgery and such). So don't panic if you step on the scale tomorrow and it shows an increase. Chances are it may be, at least in part, temporary. Hopefully that won't happen, though.

And, yeah, it is possible that you dropped your calories a little too low for losing the last bit of weight. I'm not one of these people who is too concerned about starvation mode in many circumstances, but I do believe the body does want some extra weight on it naturally (that only makes sense), so I don't think the body responds well to the combination of fewer calories when there is little weight to lose.

Singfree, I totally agree about how we've been conditioned to think eating more is something to feel guilty about. I really have to wonder how food has gotten so wrapped up in emotions for humans. That's just a strange, but very real, phenomenon that I can't explain. I'm really working hard to see food for what it is--fuel--and nothing else. I don't feel guilty when my car needs fuel and I fill it up. So I'm not so sure why I should feel guilty if I need a little extra fuel and decide to increase my fuel intake, especially if I'm making good food choices. But that guilty mindset is a difficult one to break away from, that's for sure.

I'm working through a bit of a foot injury right now, so I'm going to be lifting weights today and maybe doing a bit stretching. For all my talk yesterday about cardio being easier, it looks like I might be off of cardio for a few days. But I should be able to continue doing my weight lifting (lower body as well) so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    So if I don’t see the results in following that idea my question is – do I cut back and not eat the exercise calories or eat more?! That’s the confusing part for me. Right now I am either under (maybe 50 – 150) or right at my calories. Always under on my carbs though …… I will be weighing in again in about a week (when I finish up this phase of the workout I am doing). I’m making progress definitely in my “inches” just want to make sure I’m doing it right on the calories of eating. :wink:

If you are seeing improvement in your body measurement, then I say you are doing things right. Because, ultimately, that's what matter more than any number on a scale.

However, regarding your question about calories, including exercise calories, if your current plan isn't working for you, I would highly recommend you learn things about your body like you BMR (Basil Metabolic Rate) and your AMR (you Active Metabolic Rate). I think these would give you an idea as to whether you should be eating all, some or none of your exercise calories.

There are no hard and fast concrete rules that can be applied across the board for everybody regarding these issues since all of our bodies are different. As I've described earlier on this thread, I don't eat my exercise calories because my BMR/AMR numbers are so low that I can't create a calorie deficit big enough to lose weight from cutting calories alone. I HAVE to create a deficit using exercise.
    But not everybody does, and you might be one who doesn't.

MFP has a BMR calculator (in the tools section). You can google AMR and find a calculator OR you could calculate your AMR based on the following activity levels (NOT including exercise, but just your daily non-exercise activity level):

BMR x 1.1 for sedentary (ex. secretary)

BMR x 1.2 for mildly active (ex. salesman)

BMR x 1.3 for moderately active (ex. fitness trainer)

BMR x 1.4 for highly active (ex. construction worker)

So, for instance, if your BMR is 1300 and you lead a mildly active lifestyle, your AMR would be 1560 (1300 x 1.2). That's how many calories your body needs to do your normal daily activities. From there, in my opinion, you can more accurately assess the deficit you want to create through diet and the deficit you want to create through exercise. So, for instance, let's say you are eating 1300 calories a day and want to lose one pound a week. Your diet alone is creating a 260 calorie deficit per day (about 1/2 pound a week). So you would want to create the other 240 calorie deficit from exercise, so you could eat back all but 240 of your exercise calories a day.

That's just an example and, as I said above, it kind of gets a bit dicier the closer you get to your goal weight (because you never want to eat below your BMR when you are close to your goal weight). But I think knowing those things about your body will help you in the long run when you get towards maintenance as well because you'll know exactly how much you should be eating to maintain your weight both with and without exercise.

That's probably a clear as mud! But I hope that helps anyhow!!
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    I totally agree about how we've been conditioned to think eating more is something to feel guilty about. I really have to wonder how food has gotten so wrapped up in emotions for humans. That's just a strange, but very real, phenomenon that I can't explain. I'm really working hard to see food for what it is--fuel--and nothing else. I don't feel guilty when my car needs fuel and I fill it up. So I'm not so sure why I should feel guilty if I need a little extra fuel and decide to increase my fuel intake, especially if I'm making good food choices. But that guilty mindset is a difficult one to break away from, that's for sure.

Again ~ absolutely with you guys on this ... :flowerforyou: It's good to know we are in this together and working through it!
    Hope your foot gets better ...... :smile:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Now that we solved that problem, let's find a remedy for those pesky wrinkles.

You know, now that I can see some light at the end of the fitness tunnel, I'm not going to constantly worry about exact daily calories. Sure, i'm going to track them on MFP, but if I am +/- a few, I'm not going to sweat it. I think the hope of Spring and the time change has changed my mood for the better. Also, we will get to see our 16 month old Grandson on Saturday. That really lifts my spirits. We are truly blessed. Have a great day, all!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    2BLean--Before I knew that we were to eat our exercise calories, I was not eating them. I think that is why I hit a plateau.
    StiringWendle--Thinking about filling our car tanks. Why is it that when we do this our VW Bug doesn't grow into a Royals?
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Since you brought up the subject of wrinkles. Have you notice more as you lose the weight?
  • singfree
    Options
    Actually, no. I am trying to lose the last few lbs of fat while retaining and possibly putting on some muscle weight. My body is getting a nice makeover, even though the scale probably has not moved much. I am an anti- scale watcher. Refuse to look at it. I look in the mirror and watch my clothes get looser. Come to think of it, I don't wear my glasses while looking in the mirror...then I don't see the wrinkles and greying hair.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Ok, then. I have to put in my contacts before any makeup. But, seriously, I have noticed that my face is aging with every pound I lose. The wrinkles are taking over for the fat. Oh well, they are more healthy.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Enjoyed reading the last few posts. I actually say a segment on the Today show with twins and weight. Every twin that weighed more was estimated to be younger. Although I was convinced a lot of the thinner ones were smokers and that is why their faces had aged so much.

Keep drinking your water and the hydration will help some with the wrinkles. I've stopped wearing much foundation because I couldn't find one that didn't sit in the wrinkles. Ah the joys of aging. My arthritis in my neck is acting up again so I'm grumpy but doing a good job of not eating junk to make me feel better. I splurged on a new tea infuser and some expensive tea instead.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I also have been drinking more tea. I have to keep liquids in me and to be honest I just get tired of water. Green tea is said to be great for the metabolism but you may have more trips to the bathroom when drinking it. Oh, hey. More exercise--running to the bathroom.:laugh:
  • singfree
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes I get a bit tired of plain water, especially while sitting at my desk all day. Green tea is a nice change. I try to have at least 2 cups per day. BTW, a few wrinkles doesn't detract from a person's beauty. Enjoy being you!
  • jmw7
    jmw7 Posts: 27
    Options
    I've started drinking white tea. The box says it is good for all sorts of health reasons. Anyone know the differences between white and green?

By the way, there is nothing quite so beautiful as a 40+ year old woman who takes care of her health, yet doesn't feel the need to cover her age with too much make-up. Her self-confidence shines through any signs of age and shows everyone around the little girl inside.
  • singfree
    Options
    Don't forget that today is reporting day. I've been sticking to my clean eating pretty well this week. I can really see the effects of fat loss and muscle gain in the mirror (wife's not complaining either!). I'm starting to drag a bit at the end of the week, will take it easy on the weekend...maybe some walking outdoors. Have a great weekend!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Ok, new here. What does everyone report? And is it every Friday?
    singfree--your reply has made my day.
    I have read recently that those of us trying to lose weight seem to be having some trouble on the weekends. I can see that. We have a refrigerator in the office at work. So, on Mondays I take a week's worth of lunches and snacks. I don't touch anything else. When I am at home and having to feed my family is when I usually slip up.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday!

Weight was up half a pound this morning but I snacked late last night on whole wheat pita chips and hummus and it is most likely from all the sodium. I was so thirsty this morning. I blame the final season of ER.

I'm going to try some yoga for my neck pain and then attempt a easy run. I pulled out my old 6 week body makeover folder and am going to focus more on exercising in the fat burning zone. As a runner it is easy for me to stay at a higher cardio level and I know that doesn't necessarily help with burning these last few stubborn pounds. Now that I have my HRM it will be interesting to see what pace keeps me in the fat burning zone.

Still doing the hundred push-ups challenge. Husband is really impressed with the toning on my arms and back. I noticed though that my right arm is looking better than my left. Strange???huh??? I think it is because my left wrist is the one that hurts so I may be compensating by leaning more on the right.

As far as Tea goes - the girl at the tea shop said white tea actually has more antioxidents than the green tea. I bought a nice jasmine green and a white chai.

I've eaten really clean this week. We have plans to celebrate a neighbors birthday on Saturday so that will be my cheat day this week. Goal is to limit alcohol. This woman is a big refiller. You know what I mean your wine glass is half full and she comes along and tops it off. Planning to take my own diet tonic and grey goose. That way I can sneak tonic only and limit the calories.

Everyone have a great weekend. Spring is creeping into Michigan and I intend to take advantage of some warmer weather. I hope you all can too.
  • singfree
    Options
    Swissmiss- Happy Friday. When Alf started this thread several weeks ago, she sugested that we choose one day per week to report on our progress. We all have different weight/ fitness goals, so there is no judgement here. No pressure, just talking among friends. If you are so inclined, just let us know how you are doing with your eating, exercise etc... during the week. We are pleased and encouraged by the posts. As for me, you'll notice that I don't report my weight. Fitness is my goal, and the weight will take care of itself. Actually , I have not weighed mysef in many months. I can hear the collective gasps from everyone, this is blasphemy! So, I report about my eating, how my clothes are fitting, how pleased (or not) I am when I look in the mirror.

BTW, are you actually Swiss? I am of German Swiss descent. My family came here in 1751.
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Down 1 from last week. if we are reporting. But the difference in size is amazing.
    Don't have a belt that fits right now, too big.
    Muscle mass is replacing fat mass apparently.
    Have a great Friday.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good morning everybody! I'm down half a pound this week (4.4 pounds away from my goal of 120), and that makes me happy given that I've been increasing my calories this week as well. I'm really happy with what I'm seeing in the mirror right now and how my clothes are fitting. I went shopping for clothes for the first time since losing the weight yesterday. I love being able to shop for smaller sizes!

Singfree, you won't hear me gasp about not using the scale. Until nine months ago, I hadn't weighed myself in four years. The only reason I started using the scale again was because we had moved, and I was reassembling a set of dumbbells and couldn't remember how much the bars themselves weighed!! I don't want to be a slave to the scale, but I have found it helpful this time around in losing weight. I might weigh myself about once a month after I reach my goal just to make sure I'm not letting an extra 5-10 pounds creep on again. But I also know if I control my eating, that won't happen. So....we'll see.

duffy, I'm curious what kind of results you get from changing the intensity of your running. Keep us posted on that because there is so much conflicting information out there about what type of cardio works best and when. I'm impressed you are still doing the pushup challenge with your neck bothering you. I've been having problems with my neck on and off for about six months, and when it is really bothering me, it is all I can do to lift a glass of water!

Congratulation on the weight loss, InTheMoney! I'm so glad you are seeing suh good results from your fitness regime!

I'm attending a St. Patrick's Day party tomorrow, but plan on eating before (I think there will just be finger food there, which I will hopefully avoid) and not drinking. I'm going to try to keep my eating clean for as long as I can. My husband's birthday is in a month, and I've already promised him a dinner out and whatever dessert he wants that night--and I will share! But my hope is that I'll stay clean until then. Of course, I'm going to this conference in Colorado in a couple of weeks, and I'll be spending the weekend before the conference with my sisters in Denver. I've already told them I'm trying not to drink and eat clean (and they are very supportive), but sometimes when we get together, there is nothing better than sharing a bottle of wine with lots of laughter. I may have to spoil myself with a glass of wine (or two) just one night!

Still nursing a sore foot from too much impact, so I'm going to focus on doing lower body strength training today and maybe some yoga. And I think I'll try a cup of organic green tea with my lunch today!