40 and older with 10lbs or less to lose

Options

Replies

• StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,805 Member
    Options
    Gosh, alf, you flatter me. I wish I had a secret formula, but I don't.

Here's what I know. My current BMR is 1288, and my current AMR is 1417 (because my life, outside of working out, is sedentary). In other words, in order to maintain my weight without working out, I need to eat only 1417 calories a day. So hitting starvation for me, if I don't go below 1200 calories, is actually pretty difficult. These numbers, of course, were slightly higher (about 100 calories) when I started losing weight, but that's where it is right now. And, frankly, that 100 calories hasn't changed much.

What I do is take my AMR and say any deficit created from that is my calorie deficit for the day. So, for example, if I eat 1350 today (which is what I'm planning on eating), I would have a 67 calorie deficit without working out. I burned 530 calories working out today (and it was a TOUGH cardio workout), so my deficit will be 597, which I consider to be in the 'safe' range (just slightly above one pound a week). It would take me burning another 400 calories through exercise for me to get into an 'unsafe' range (and that would be doing a second hour of high impact aerobics....which isn't going to happen :tongue: ) That's why I don't eat my exercise calories.

And that's also why I'm so strict with myself when it comes to what I'm consuming now. While I know my body will absorb a few 'cheats' because I AM working out, I really want to get myself into the mindset that such things NEED to be very rare or else I'm going to be fighting this same 25lb battle the rest of my life....and it isn't going to get any easier as I get older.

I've lost 18 pounds in exactly 9 weeks. But I had gained 7 of those 18 pounds over the holidays, and it was the rapidity with which I gained those pounds that really alarmed me. That's when I knew I needed to change my habits, not just lose the weight. Somedays this really depresses me. Other days I'm very happy about the positive changes I'm making. And many days (like today) it's a combination of both.

I'm curious to see how this all goes once I hit maintenance mode. I find it pretty easy to diet, to be honest. But I've never put myself on a maintenance program (which, of course, is why I had the weight on again!). I'm hoping I can find myself a happy medium ground for maintenance.
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Can I say after reading through some of your posts that you guys seem like the greatest group and from what I have read very much the same in line with what my goals, ambitions, frustrations, eating clean habits are. Not only that the workouts you guys are doing seem similar to my workouts.

Currently I am doing the ChaLEAN Extreme which I am loving. I did P90X last year and thought I would try out Chalene’s program ~ she is a great instructor and motivational. I have found the workouts to be shorter (as you guys were discussion earlier) but I add a cardio workout or ab workout after the initial weight workout. Her interval workouts are great on the cardio days!
    I almost purchased the STS workouts by Cathe – that is so great to hear the success you are having StringWendel! Maybe I will try that one of these days. I too really enjoy a tough workout.

I would LOVE to join your guys group ……I’ve been looking for a group on here to join but just haven’t really found one. I am just about to be 40 (April) :grumble: and trying to be ahead of the program on my weight loss. I have worked out pretty much my whole life due to team athletics and the gym but starting working out at home 14 years ago! Definitely some Cathe workouts in my library! Beach Body (ie: Turbo Jam, P90X).

Alf – I love your description in the beginning of these posts about your “happy” weight …. How your family or friends may say you are being over the top about it. I too don’t like being the weight that I am but people always tell me I look great and in good shape. I would feel so HAPPY if my weight fluctuated between 135 and oh, 130 would be a dream! (So 5 - 10 lbs). I am absolutely willing and want to put in the work, just finding the right combination of my calories and burning them, etc... like all of you. :wink:

Can you guys tell me about zig-zagging? Currently I am eating very clean and sticking to the MFP calorie goals. Should I not be eating my exercise calories to have better results? I was worried from all the reading about that I should eat them or the starvation mode hits!?!?

I have only weighed myself one time in the last 6 weeks and lost 3 lbs. I was kind of happy with that but hope to continue on down the scale.

This seems like a great place to ask questions and get some support as well as share our experiences. :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,805 Member
    Options
    Welcome 2BLean!! I'm really glad you posted!

I'd love to hear more about ChaLEAN Extreme. I've been reading about it various places, and yesterday over on Videofitness.com, somebody suggested that it is more metabolic resistance training (using a traditional 'strength' or resistance exercise as opposed to a traditional 'cardio' exercise to create a metabolic effect) as opposed to strength building (which is how it is advertised). I found this interesting because from what I'd read previously, I thought I wouldn't be interested in the program because I know compound moves just aren't what I need when it comes to strength training. But if the intent is really to boost metabolism through using weights, I might be more interested. So any more feedback or info (like a description of the workouts) you can provide would be great.

Again, welcome!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I just got home from the hospital. Had surgery yesterday so I will not be doing much exercising for a while. I could sure use any suggestions on how to keep from gaining a bunch for the next six weeks.
  • kimss
    kimss Posts: 1,146
    Options
    feeling so sorry for you,:cry: I wish I had some good advice. I'm sure someone will. I guess just keep to your calorie goal. I just wanted to give you a shout and say good luck, hope you feel better soon.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Stiring, wow!!!! :drinker: I am even more impressed with you now!! I am going to check out my numbers and adjust it so I can find my happy medium. That after coming back from vacation. :laugh: 18lbs in 9 wks!! That is what I am talking about!! I did reach my weight goal back in Sep, 125lbs, total of 23 lbs lost but it took me 8 months!!! :noway: Way too long!!! And then Oct came and I wanted to "test" myself and see if I could maintain on my own without MFP, big mistake!!! :laugh: From Oct to Dec I gained 9 lbs. I am only 3lbs from goal now, maybe will be more after my vacation...:grumble: :laugh:

2Blean, welcome!!!! We are a very small group but we are a very determined group of healthy 40 and 50 somethings who know that doing it the right way is the key to staying healthy!!! This is the site I use for zig zagging, check it out and decide for yourself if you want to try it. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Swissmiss, I hope you recuperate soon!!!! Just watch your intake, control portions, drink lots of water and try to eat clean as much as possible. Once you get better you can start working out again.

Going to Zumba, gotta go....:flowerforyou:
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    I am going to try to rest. Having quite a bit of pain. Has anyone here had to have their bladder put back and held with a sling?
  • alf1163
    Options
    I am going to try to rest. Having quite a bit of pain. Has anyone here had to have their bladder put back and held with a sling?

Oh Lord NO!!! How did that happen? I cannot imagine the pain!!! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Welcome 2BLean and Swissmiss!

Swiss - sorry to hear you had to have the surgery. My mom had the double whammy years ago. The bladder and rectum. Hate to say it but childbirth is hell on your body. My mom was convinced hers was due to her hysterectomy but I've heard of other women that have had to have the surgery and never had a hysterectomy. I'm actually considered high risk because both of my kids were over 9 lbs and delivered vaginally.

Be very careful and take it easy. My suggestion: follow all post op guidelines especially those concerning lifting and straining. The best thing you can do for a speedy recovery is drink your water and eat healthy. When your restrictions are lifted, start slow and take it easy. The only thing worse than having that surgery is having it done again.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: for your speedy recovery.
  • 2BLean
    2BLean Posts: 2,373 Member
    Options
    Thanks for welcoming me to your group! :wink:

Alf ~ I'll check out that link, thanks! Sounds like a good plan. Just like changing things up in our workouts, the system of calories as well should be changed up. Still trying to work it all out so my body responds.

Swiss Miss ~ I can only imagine the pain, I hope you have a smooth recovery. I can relate to post surgery myself but not the surgery you had. As a couple people have already posted, following the post op guidelines and eating healthy along with lots of water is very important! It helps with the recovery and also to feel better. :flowerforyou:

StiringWendel ~ Happy to share my info on ChaLEAN Xtreme. The idea behind the workouts are to burn fat through muscle exhaustion. Lifting heavy - but very little reps. (12 Max in the first phase, 8 n the PUSH phase and 10-12 in the LEAN phase).
    Here is their description: LEAN PHASING proven circuit training technique shifts your fat-burning focus from cardio to resistance training. 'Lifting heavy weights in 3 phases to ignite your metabolism. Each phase is 30 days (ie:4 wks of training)

PHASE 1: BURN You start lifting weights to jump-start your metabolism and break down those "extra" reserves of fat. In these moderate training workouts, you'll work your upper body then lower body.

PHASE 2: PUSH Lift heavy—beyond your comfort zone—so you build the muscle you need to burn fat. It's easier than it sounds with incredibly fast results.

PHASE 3: LEAN Here is where you really bring it home with new routines and dynamic moves that literally melt the fat off your body.

2 of the days you do interval type cardio and also incorporate a couple different ab workouts! i am currently approaching my 3rd week of the PUSH phase. Because the workouts are 33-35 on the weight training days I usually incorporate cardio or an ab workout.

Hope this helps! :happy: I'll keep you posted with my results. So far I am pretty happy. Losing inches and a few lbs. Anxious to see how i measure up after the LEAN phase.

Thanks again everyone ~ hope you are all having a great weekend! :flowerforyou:
    2BLean
  • alf1163
    Options
    I'm interested in doing Chalean program but I have also been thinking about doing P90X. I've heard good things about both and also Cathe's program. When I come back from my vacation I need to decide what program I want. I really want to increase my strength.

I did Jillian Michaels Shred video this morning, all three levels. I burned 591 cals. Today is my high calorie day, 1930 cals. Mmmmm!!!! :laugh: :laugh: I had a nice breakfast, old fashioned oatmeal, 1tbs raisins, almonds and fat free milk. I also had a hard boiled egg. I'm planning on eating pretty clean today so I will eat tons of food!! :noway: :laugh:

Have a great Sunday!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I'm like ALF - torn between ChaLean and P90X. I have about 30 days to finish up Power 90 but then I need to find something that works well with running because as the weather gets better I hope to up my mileage.
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    i'd like to be included. Lost 30 in 7 weeks but now stuck, maybe even gained a few without much effort.
    Watching everything. Working out 10-12 time weekly, watching evertyhing in the mouth.
  • ontheedge50
    ontheedge50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    30#s in 7 weeks. WOW! I'm sure someone here can give you some helpful suggestions. (not me) I just want to say that I'm impressed with your dedication! Keep it up.
  • alf1163
    Options
    i'd like to be included. Lost 30 in 7 weeks but now stuck, maybe even gained a few without much effort.
    Watching everything. Working out 10-12 time weekly, watching evertyhing in the mouth.

Inthemoney, welcome!!! I'm also impressed with a 30lb loss in 7 wks!!!! How did you do that? When did you seem to stop losing? How many more you want to lose? I am no expert but I need more info to maybe give you my humble advice. So you workout twice some days of the week? What are you doing? That is a lot of workouts!!! :flowerforyou:
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    thanks. i just decided it was timt to get back to my running and the weight I used to be at when I did run.
    i basicall follow a modified glycemic index regimen, with plenty of wiggle room for special events such as super bowl parties and weekends away with friends. But never miss a chance to workout.
    I started out on Jan 12 with a plan to lose some with straight cardio workouts and recently (2 weeks) started weight workouts about 2-3 times a week. Vary cardio, no two workouts alike or back to back.
    with the idea of calories equal weight gain/loss, I am a little baffled about holding weight the past week and maybe a couple fo pounds gained.
    I'm not trying to stress over it, I think it will pass, but wanted to see if anyone else had the same patterns.
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Thanks, duffyzmom, I actually had my bladder,utheria (not spelled right), uterus and bowel done. Yes, childbirth has a lot to do with it. I have had eight vaginal births. The worst part is the pain in my legs. It is now Sunday--three days after surgery--and am just now able to walk. Unfortunately, I also do not have help.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Welcome to 2BLean, SwissMiss, InTheMoney and anyone else who is out there! Yes, we are the 40+ year old group who likes to share our success and frustration with each other. No pressure, just kindness and encouragemant. Keep up the good work and if you need some friendly advise, just post your questions and comments. We are men and women with similar weight and fitness goals. Again, welcome to all!
  • Swissmiss
    Options
    Alf--how is the zumba coming along? My daughter tried that a few months ago but only went once. She felt out of place. I think she was probably the largest one there. She is half Cuban so I thought that she would be able to do well. She can move it when she wants to.
  • IDGIE
    IDGIE Posts: 10
    Options
    Hello all,
    I would like to join this group if that is ok. My story.... I will be 49 yrs old in June. All my life I have been a size 11/12 and at 5'10 that was a perfect size for me. Over the years I would sometimes gain up to size 13/14, but would never stay that size long and did not have any problem losing it. Within the last year and a half, I have gained 60lbs ! I did not know what was going on. Yes, I did know I was not doing my best at times, but never ever thought I could let myself gain that much weight. I don't know how many of you females have experienced the lovely "change of life", but I have. Talk about having issues. I will not go into too much detail to spare the males, but your body goes through so many changes. The hot flashes are terrible. I believe my energy level decreased and instead of fighting it with more exercise, I went into a downward spiral. I started putting on weight and the more I put on the less I wanted to go out. I didn't want my friends to see my weight gain. Therefore I stayed at home more and became more depressed. I have to travel all the time with my job. Even there, I would get my work done and then go back to my hotel room to escape. Yes my coworkers noticed the change, but I cared less about their opinions then my friends.
    So, what am I doing? Well first of all I got myself to the doctors office with details of what was happening. My doctor put me on a low dose anti-depressant, explained what happens during the change, and starting me on low dose hormones and Lupron shots to help push me along into menopause. Just hearing that she went through many of the same things was so comforting, knowing I was not going insane :0)
    Next, I joined this group. I have never done anything like this before, but it already seems to help. I am also going back to the gym and when on the road will have to utilize the hotel's gym. This is a pain sometimes, because people get up very early to grab the usually 3 machines they have. I have had this job for 6 years and the first 4 years I still maintained my weight, so I know I can do it.
    One thing I really love about this site is the access to information of the foods. My best friend LOVES to eat out every single night, so having access to TGI Fridays and others menu with cal count is really helpful. I also have to eat out a lot when I am on the road.
    OK I have hogged up enough space, but thanks for listening. Sorry for the talk of female problems for the males in the group, but remember, you may have a wife going through the same thing. bigsmile: I hope I can get back to the old me (see ticker picture) instead of the unhealthy me now (see profile picture)