40 and older with 10lbs or less to lose

Options
Hey gang!!! Are you in your 40's or 50's and need to lose 10 pounds or less??? It is sooooooo tough!!!! I am 45 and I need to lose the last 5 lbs. I have joined other challenges or support groups but I cannot compare with others who are younger than me or need to lose more weight...it just not the same if you know what I mean. Want to join a group??? Help each other out???? We can set up something combining good nutrition and exercise, check ins, support, etc...are you in???? :flowerforyou:

Replies

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hey gang!!! Are you in your 40's or 50's and need to lose 10 pounds or less??? It is sooooooo tough!!!! I am 45 and I need to lose the last 5 lbs. I have joined other challenges or support groups but I cannot compare with others who are younger than me or need to lose more weight...it just not the same if you know what I mean. Want to join a group??? Help each other out???? We can set up something combining good nutrition and exercise, check ins, support, etc...are you in???? :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    I think I'd like to try a new group - I kinda got lost in the one I joined as there were just SO MANY members with such vast goals.

I like this idea :smile:
  • ontheedge50
    ontheedge50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 50 and I know exactly what you mean! My goal is 15 lbs. Is that too many to join your group? If it's not too much I'd like to get in on this. What a great idea.

Look my best at 125lbs 1987. hahaha
    I'm at 150lbs. I feel best around 135lbs.
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I am sooo with you guys. Frustration led to cinnamon buns...I am crying, depressed and hate my scale!:sad:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Yeah!!!! I'm not the only one!!! I don't feel lonely anymore!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Ok, any ideas for our group?? What are you doing right now?? What has worked best for you in the past? Not when you were in your 20's or early 30's but lately, anything? How about your diet? What do you need help with the most?

This is what I am doing now:
    I workout 6-7 days a week. I do cardio most days, different routines. I try to vary it as much as possible because I tend to get bored and also, as you may well know, your joints don't do that well in your 40's!!! :grumble: I also lift 2-3 days a week. If I go to the gym I lift heavy, if at home not so much. Heaviest dumbells at home are 20lb dumbells for back exercises, chest press and squats. My workouts are usually 45mins to 90mins long. Some are pretty intense.

I eat all my exercise calories, eat 5-6 meals, try to have a good combination of carbs, protein, healthy fats, fiber in my meals (not always that great though). I drink a lot of water, 13-18 cups of water a day.

What works best for me is to really monitor my diet, try my best to not give into temptations (I have a sweet tooth and I am a social and emotional eater). Increasing the intensity of my workouts help me balance out my eating habits and have helped me in the past reach my goal as I did this last Sep 08. I went down to 125lbs. I was very strict with my diet, monitoring it like a hawk and being strong to temptations. I did the Shred every other day, 2-3 levels at a time, and extra cardio on non shred days. By the end of Sep I reached my goal of 125lbs. Then Oct came and as a "birthday gift" to my husband I decided to step away from MFP and try it out on my own (he was a little jealous last year of me spending so much time here and losing weight, he is over it by now :laugh: ) And of course I let myself go, took down my guard, the Holidays came and I gained 9 pounds. I have lost 4 so far...

Sorry this is long but I wanted to give you a little background...let's think of our challenge and a name for our group!!! :flowerforyou:
  • alf1163
    Options
    I am sooo with you guys. Frustration led to cinnamon buns...I am crying, depressed and hate my scale!:sad:

What happened???? Tell us about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Options
    I need help getting my "full switch" to work! I feel like I could eat continually all day long and NEVER be full. I've been trying my darndest to stick to the healthier foods, and eat smaller portions and wait half an hour for something else... but I just CAN NOT seem to do this! Or if there's a treat at work, I seem to be unable to turn it down. I'm managing to stay in my range of maintenance calories most days, but that doesn't exactly help one LOSE weight!

I've only lost 2 pounds since the beginning of the year (OK, 3 - then gained one back!) because I seem to have no self control when it comes to food.

Oh yea, exercise too.... I'm trying my best to get in at least half an hour of cardio 3 times a week, never going more than 3 days in a row without doing SOMETHING. But having a hard time even with that! Once upon a time not too long ago I was jogging 3-6 miles or riding my elliptical 45 minutes at a time 5-6 days a week, I'd lift weights, hula hoop, jump rope, dance around my house, do calisthenics while watching TV - then I got a promotion (last June) and am working different hours and WHOOMP my exercise world turned upside down and I just lost it all.

I feel so overwhelmed, it's only 6 freakin' pounds I want to lose and I CAN'T do it! I wonder how the heck I EVER lost all the weight I did - it seems like such an impossible task for me right now. I mean, I know I can do it if I try - but my energy, movtivation and willpower seem to be lost!

OK, I'll stop rambling... but hey, you asked! :laugh:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Wolfena, I hear you I hear you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know exactly what you mean, I have been there!!!! It is also very hard for me to turn down food. As I mentioned in my post I am a social and emotional eater. For example today I knew I was going to a birthday party with my family. I worked out this morning but did not burn too many calories. So I tried to not eat much for breakfast and lunch, had no snacks and said to myself, what ever they have I will eat the healthier options and when they give me cake I will only eat half of it...yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grumble: They had Pizza Hut everything, the pasta dishes, all kinds of pizza, the caesar salad, cake, cookies, candy...I ate 2 slices of pizza, pasta (chicken alfedo, not a lot though), a little bit of the salad no dressing...then came the cake, I ate the whole piece they gave me, ate half sugar cookie with my husband and a piece of candy. I went over my calories today by about 400 cals....here at home my husband offered me a drink but I said no...

Going back to you...what helped you in the past? What kept you motivated? I have read your posts before and know you lost a lot of weight in the past and have kept most of it off HEY CONGRATS FOR THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU'VE DONE IT BEFORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Is it that deep inside you are comfortable with your weight now? You mentioned a new job, do you think stress is lowering your energy and motivation to concentrate on yourself? Hey you can rant and ramble all you want, we are here to listen and help each other!!!!

One thing that has helped me in the past is to plan my meals early and log them in the morning. Make sure you pack your lunch and snacks for work. That has helped me control what I eat at work and try to resist temptations. I know it is hard, it does not always work for me. Most people at work know that I count calories and plan accordingly so they try to be supportive. They tease me sometimes but I try to stay strong.

What would you want from a support group/challenge? :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Options
    Seeing the number on the scale go down was motivation enough back then!! I do pack my breakfast, lunch and snacks every work day still - it's dinner and night time that seems to be the problem now. I don't know - I'm kinda comfortable here, felt better a few pounds lighter - am super aware that one pound adds up quickly, which is how I got back to the 150s. I was 140, then 143, then 146, then 148 - and they were all weight gains of "only a pound or two", no big deal - right? Well - I'm afraid of them becoming a big deal! Hitting 150 again brought me back into the "overweight" BMI category.... I'd like to be back to "normal".

I still plan my meals, still cook healthy - it's all that food I eat that's NOT in my plan that's the problem! :laugh:

Hmmmm... group challenge. Do we all have anything in common? I ride a bike, walk, jog, have an elliptical, rower and recumbent bike. I jump rope, have a hula hoop - we could have some sort of mileage or exercise time challenge.

Or a particular food we're all trying to avoid? (sweets?) Maybe a day to day challenge to see who can avoid it the longest.

I think I'll do that anyway. It's only 10:20am here right now, but it is day one of my "no chocolate or candy" marathon! :bigsmile:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    This is the group I was hoping to find on this site. I have been really frustrated with losing weight in my 40s. It just seems like you have to work twice as hard to lose half the weight. Plus, one tiny misstep and the ceiling falls in on you.

I have 4 lbs to reach my goal but now I'm starting to reconsider my goal weight. I guess age plays a roll in that as well. It just seems like even this close to my goal there is more flab than I want. My goal weight would put my BMI in the 22 range so I'm considering losing another 5 to get it more in the 20-21 range. Anyone else struggle with what your ideal weight in your 40s should be?
  • alf1163
    Options
    Welcome Duffy!!!! I agree with everything you said. Losing weight in your 40's and beyond is a different struggle than when you are younger. If you are in your 20's and 30's and you are reading this post hear us out, it is no joke!!! Try to lose the weight you need to lose and try as much as possible to maintain it before you hit 40!!!!!!!!

Wolfena, I understand what you are saying. I used to not pay attention to little gains here and there, 1 to 2 lbs, but they accumulate and fast!! And before you know it you have gained 10 pounds in a month or two. It is very frustrating. It seems like the older you get the stricter you have to be with your diet and even a minor slip can accumulate somewhere in your body JUST NOT FAIR!!!! :grumble: :grumble: :noway:

Ok, we can keep this same thread and continue to post to it. Let's post our workouts, calories burned, the foods we are avoiding and how we did. You can post whenever you want to. I am planning on posting every day and check on you guys. We can support each other this way.

I weighed myself this morning: 131lbs again!!!! I was at 130 on Friday morning...(SEE WHAT I MEAN!!!!)
    I did the Jillian Michaels video 30 day shred, all three levels, total 1hr25mins 632 cals burned.
    I had a hearty breakfast!!! I was starving by the time I finished my workout!!
    No sweets today meaning chocolate, cake, candy, etc. Believe me, I have all these at the house right now after Valentine's!!! :frown: Looking at a bowl full of chocolate right now...
    :flowerforyou:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Do you mind if I join?

Here's my (long) story. Up until a few years ago, I was always able to manage my weight between 120-130. 120 is my ideal weight. I'd gone up higher than 130 back in late 2001 because of a back injury and a move from Italy to Washington State (my husband is in the military and on that particular move, we were in a hotel--over Christmas--for more than two months. Not good for weight OR fitness!!). But I got all of the weight off in a few months once we were settled and maintained it for the next four years.

But back in 2006, I dislocated my left arm and over the course of a couple of months, pretty much lost all of the use of my left arm. I actually managed to maintain my weight through that until they put me on Celebrex, and then the weight started coming on. Combine that with ANOTHER long move (from Germany to Alaska), and I put on some pounds (that first winter in Alaska, I survived on peanut butter/chocolate and wine!). It didn't help that I was still extremely limited in what I could do in terms of working out because of limited use of my left arm. But last year I managed to get back down to the 'last ten pounds' (again) when we got notified of yet another move (this time to California).

I gained five pounds in the move (last June), maintained that, and then due to a back injury, a cold, the holidays, etc., gained another five pounds. Since the first of the year, I've gotten those 10 pounds off, and sit here at 130 staring at those 'last ten pounds'--again.

I've learned since coming here to MFP that my biggest problem is in not adjusting my calories in those times when I can't workout! It seems pretty simple, but I have a tendency to eat through our moves, my injuries and such just like I do when I'm able to workout all the time. That doesn't work for me. :tongue: But I'm learning quite a bit about the number of calories in food and what I can reasonably take in when I'm not being as active and still not gain weight. That should help me in the future, but right now, I need help getting down to a more ideal weight for me.

Right now, my problem is motivation. I'm doing well....haven't cheated once on my diet in over a month. But my clothes fit, I look okay, so, mentally, I'm having a difficult time with saying to my husband 'No, we're not going out to eat tonight!'. But I also know at my age (43), it is actually better for me to get that 10 pounds off now while I can still lose weight with relative ease. So I'm trying to break through the mental barrier right now more than anything.

I've worked out relatively consistently (minus the moves and injuries!) for 20 years. Right now, I workout 5-6 days a week, alternating aerobics with weights (I have more use of my left arm, but still can't do all weights with it.....but I'm getting better every year). I do all my workouts at home (I'm a Cathe Friedrich DVD user), and usually workout 60-90 minutes a day. I also have a tendency to take long walks during the day which add up as well. I'm currently eating only 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories (depends on the day), but feel fine, have enough energy to workout, and am still losing. So I figure I'll stay on this plan until I hit a wall and then I'll shake my diet up.

The foods I need to avoid when dieting---chocolate and wine! Actually, I have found that my body doesn't metabolize alcohol very well and, for me, that is a key to weight loss. I'm also trying to avoid eating out as much as possible. I haven't had wine, chocolate or eaten out now in 30 days!

I'm definitely up for a challenge!!! I think that will really help with my motivation issues.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I'm a 54 year old male who is taking a different approach. I feel that I need to lose around 10 lbs of FAT, not scale weight. In fact, I've not looked at the scale in the past month. The mirror and my clothing are doing a fine job at tracking my progress.

I eat a fairly clean diet, average around 1600 cals per day. I do cardio & strength training at least 5 days per week, a total of approx. 4000 cals burned per week. I DO NOT EAT MY EXERCISE CALORIES!

In the past month I increased my strength and stamina, and lost 1.5 inches from my waistline. I have abundant energy and can't wait to get to my next workout.

In reading many posts on MFP, I've observed a few things:

1. People are obcessed with the scale
    2. They worry over small fluctuations
    3. They have weight goals which may not be appropriate for them
    4. Too much cardio, not nearly enough strength training
    5. One's "ideal" weight should not be based on some chart (BMI), because it does not take into consideration how much muscle weight a person has.

This is just an ordinary man's opinion. This is what works for me and my lifestyle. I am not criticizing anyone, just trying to offer my own unique approach. My goal is to become fit. When I reach that goal, I will be a happy camper no matter what the scale says.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Do you mind if I join?

Here's my (long) story. Up until a few years ago, I was always able to manage my weight between 120-130. 120 is my ideal weight. I'd gone up higher than 130 back in late 2001 because of a back injury and a move from Italy to Washington State (my husband is in the military and on that particular move, we were in a hotel--over Christmas--for more than two months. Not good for weight OR fitness!!). But I got all of the weight off in a few months once we were settled and maintained it for the next four years.

But back in 2006, I dislocated my left arm and over the course of a couple of months, pretty much lost all of the use of my left arm. I actually managed to maintain my weight through that until they put me on Celebrex, and then the weight started coming on. Combine that with ANOTHER long move (from Germany to Alaska), and I put on some pounds (that first winter in Alaska, I survived on peanut butter/chocolate and wine!). It didn't help that I was still extremely limited in what I could do in terms of working out because of limited use of my left arm. But last year I managed to get back down to the 'last ten pounds' (again) when we got notified of yet another move (this time to California).

I gained five pounds in the move (last June), maintained that, and then due to a back injury, a cold, the holidays, etc., gained another five pounds. Since the first of the year, I've gotten those 10 pounds off, and sit here at 130 staring at those 'last ten pounds'--again.

I've learned since coming here to MFP that my biggest problem is in not adjusting my calories in those times when I can't workout! It seems pretty simple, but I have a tendency to eat through our moves, my injuries and such just like I do when I'm able to workout all the time. That doesn't work for me. :tongue: But I'm learning quite a bit about the number of calories in food and what I can reasonably take in when I'm not being as active and still not gain weight. That should help me in the future, but right now, I need help getting down to a more ideal weight for me.

Right now, my problem is motivation. I'm doing well....haven't cheated once on my diet in over a month. But my clothes fit, I look okay, so, mentally, I'm having a difficult time with saying to my husband 'No, we're not going out to eat tonight!'. But I also know at my age (43), it is actually better for me to get that 10 pounds off now while I can still lose weight with relative ease. So I'm trying to break through the mental barrier right now more than anything.

I've worked out relatively consistently (minus the moves and injuries!) for 20 years. Right now, I workout 5-6 days a week, alternating aerobics with weights (I have more use of my left arm, but still can't do all weights with it.....but I'm getting better every year). I do all my workouts at home (I'm a Cathe Friedrich DVD user), and usually workout 60-90 minutes a day. I also have a tendency to take long walks during the day which add up as well. I'm currently eating only 1/3 to 1/2 of my exercise calories (depends on the day), but feel fine, have enough energy to workout, and am still losing. So I figure I'll stay on this plan until I hit a wall and then I'll shake my diet up.

The foods I need to avoid when dieting---chocolate and wine! Actually, I have found that my body doesn't metabolize alcohol very well and, for me, that is a key to weight loss. I'm also trying to avoid eating out as much as possible. I haven't had wine, chocolate or eaten out now in 30 days!

I'm definitely up for a challenge!!! I think that will really help with my motivation issues.

Of course you can join!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can relate 100% to your story. My husband is retired ARMY and we also had to move numerous times and it was very hard to settle in a new place. Fortunately I have not endured the injuries you've had, thank God, that is one of my nightmares. I feel for you. I too have been pretty active all my life.

My ideal weight is 125. It was originally 130 from 148. When I got to 148 at the end of 2007 I looked at myself in the mirror and said "NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I could not allow myself to gain anymore knowing that soon it would 150, then 152 and on and one...I joined MFP in Jan 08 and it has been a blessing. I reached 125 in Sep 08 but for about a week or so...:noway: Then I let go during the holidays and gained 9 pounds. I too had to deal with my husband and people telling me "why do you want to lose weight, you look great, you are skinny already, you are obsessed, blah blah blah" Every one is different and they have their own weight goals and a place where they feel most comfortable. I feel fine right now but I lowered my weight goal to 125 so it would help me stay within a comfortable range in case I let go a little.

How does your husband deal with you not wanting to go out to eat in 30 days? That would make my husband crazy!!! He has gotten better with all the changes I've made. It was very hard in the beginning, he was actually jealous of MFP :laugh: :laugh: This year he has impressed me and has started working out more and even reading nutrition labels!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My daughter too calls me sometimes and asks me if a particular food is good or not for her. :laugh: She is 24yrs and is active duty ARMY in Ft Hood. She has a baby girl. That is the one in the picture with me, my sweet little grandbaby!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • chilli
    chilli Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hey you lot you can do it, I did.
    I lost my original 11lbs and have aimed for 14 to round it up to a stone. It's not impossible, just a slow slow journey, it's been almost a year for me in March.
    I have exercised and just tried to keep to my cals, sometimes failing as we all do!
    Keep motivated.................:bigsmile: It is achievable :wink:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the Welcomes! It sounds like we have many of the same struggles. Stress eating is a big issue with me and my husband works for the auto industry so you can imagine what the last few months have been like. We moved to Michigan a little over a year ago and I gained about 5 lbs. I ran a half marathon last spring and a full in the fall. After completing the full, I had to deal with some arthritis issues in my neck and pretty much took it easy. When I went to the doctor in January for help with my neck the scale said 150lbs. :sad: I honestly was in shock. That means that in less than 2 months I had gained 13 lbs. My daughter can't understand why I'm so obessed with getting this weight off right now. Her solution - train for another marathon:huh:

Winter weather is my other obstacle. I struggle to get my exercise done because I'd always prefer to be outside running. I know I should do more to keep my metabolism reved but in the winter I really have to push myself. I'm doing the shred and Power 90 tapes right now plus lots of dog walks.
  • sam340
    sam340 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well I'm with ya'll.

I seem to fluctuate in weight every five years. I have no idea why this has been my life pattern. I don't really change my eating habits or exercise but every five years my weight will go up to about 125 at my heaviest and then after five years it will drop down to anywhere between 110 to 116. So right now my goal is to get at around 110-114 and I'll be happy.

I'm 47 years old and have to totally change my way of thinking. In my younger years it was all about reduce your calorie intake! No problem. So I reduced mine before I found this site and was eating about 800 calories a day and then come to find out that everyone is telling me I'm putting my body in starvation mode. So ok I try to eat 1000 calories a day minimum. And then figured in my exercise etc and have been trying to eat at least 1/2 my exercise calories, but not very successfully on some days.

This past weekend we spent two days straight outside cutting wood, stacking it and carrying it to a burn pile. There was no way I could consume all those calories, I just couldn't do it.

I had weighted myself Saturday morning before doing this work and low and behold I gained a freakin pound! I get extremely frustrated to say the least.

So I'm definitely looking forward to talking to other people who are in my age group and in my same circumstance. Also looking forward to talking with menopausal women as I think we have even more challenges at this point in our lives than men do .. sorry guys. Nothing meant by it.

Anyone care to share their meals/snacks for the day? I'm thinking maybe a change in routine would be good for me. Maybe I'm just not eating good foods? Although I don't really do sweets and chips type stuff. I tend to end up going over board on the protein.
  • cszymanski
    Options
    I am 40 and my metabolism is so slow! I am a teacher with 4 active kids so I'm always busy. So its not like I'm sitting around eating and watching tv all day, kwim? I know that consistent exercise and healthy eating is hard to squeeze into each and every day. :happy: I'd love to join the group!
  • Wolfena
    Options

This past weekend we spent two days straight outside cutting wood, stacking it and carrying it to a burn pile. There was no way I could consume all those calories, I just couldn't do it.

I could!!! :laugh:

OK OK.... continue on. :wink:
  • sam340
    sam340 Posts: 5 Member
    Options

I could!!! :laugh:

OK OK.... continue on. :wink:
    But I'm telling you I burned about 850 calories out there working! We worked for 5 hours and I was dog tired. But I have been reading the forums and read that if your body is in starvation mode you aren't hungry! So I'm thinking that is it. I guess I have to just keep pluggin on and get my body out of starvation mode and in the process I will gain a few pounds (from what I've read) Wish you lived close! I would have shared the work load LOL