40 and older with 10lbs or less to lose

Options

Replies

• singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Dead Metabolism!!!!!
    My story; I've been at a relatively healthy weight most of my life. Last year I QUIT SMOKING! Gained a little. 6lbs! (I knew I would) all was well for about a month. Then all of a sudden my hormones went crazy and my Thyroid decided to take a dump and my metabolism has all but SHUT DOWN. And I'm now 15 lbs heavy then I was just 1 year ago. All of this has been a little dishearten but I am pleased to say that I AM SMOKE FREE. It's been almost a year!!!!
    I've been working HARD the last couple of months but without much success. Does anyone now how to kick my metabolism into gear?:huh:
    This sounds quite serious! I trust that you had this checked by a Doctor. What is your typical workout? Is your total caloric intake and Carb/ Prot/ Fat ratios appropriate? I've found out long ago that balancing proper nutrition while doing fitness training is very difficult. If you are not eating enough good calories, you also may sabotage your metabolism. Perhaps a nutritionist could help you with all of this, especially if you are taking meds for your condition. Best of health!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    OntheEdge Congrats on being Smoke free for a year! You should be very proud. I'm sure there are lots of good tips for boosting your metabolism but some I live by are remember what boosts your metabilism. Eating, drinking cold water, exercise - I've always heard you should eat within an hour of waking to get that boost. I follow an almost diabetic eating schedule I try to go no longer than 4 hours before eating something. My meals usually are 200 - 300 calories and snacks 100 - 200 calories.

Lisaleigh: I'm sure a spin class would really be great. I can't do any though because a few years ago I told my darling hubby that if I ever signed up for spin class that would mean I was cheating on him with a younger man.:huh: I guess if your husband is younger then I was kind of right about the people crazy enough to endure those kick-butt workouts.:bigsmile:
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,789 Member
    Options
    Dead Metabolism!!!!!
    My story; I've been at a relatively healthy weight most of my life. Last year I QUIT SMOKING! Gained a little. 6lbs! (I knew I would) all was well for about a month. Then all of a sudden my hormones went crazy and my Thyroid decided to take a dump and my metabolism has all but SHUT DOWN. And I'm now 15 lbs heavy then I was just 1 year ago. All of this has been a little dishearten but I am pleased to say that I AM SMOKE FREE. It's been almost a year!!!!
    I've been working HARD the last couple of months but without much success. Does anyone now how to kick my metabolism into gear?:huh:
    Like singfree, I hope you've talked to your doctor about your thyroid situation and are currently doing what you can to address that issue.

I think in order to help you, you might need to outline what you mean by 'working hard'. Are you working out? Doing what and for how long? What is your caloric intake? Is it balanced? Are you eating your exercise calories?

I described this in another post on this board, but I will here as well. I was completely alarmed when I learned how few calories my body needs in order to function. Outside of fitness, my life is pretty sedentary. I'm 43 years old, and 5'2". Given my current weight, I need only something like 1550 calories a day to maintain my weight if I don't exercise. That's pretty low. Given that, it is actually impossible to create much of a calorie deficit in order to lose weight without fitness. At most, if I don't workout, I could lose about 1 pound every two weeks through diet alone (eating the minimum of 1200 calories a day....and I should eat more than that because my body needs 1300 calories a day to just lie there).

That's a pretty scary figure in my mind. So my situation is that I can't eat all of my exercise calories if I want to create a bigger deficit of calories (between 500-1000). And I need to exercise to create the deficit needed to lose weight.

You may be in a similar situation. If you want help trying to figure this out, let me know.

Outside of that, in terms of fitness, there are some great ways of boosting your metabolism. Circuit training is a great way of challenging the body. Lifting weights, over the long run, is great for boosting your metabolism (because of the added muscle). Circuit training involving a mixture of weights and aerobics, IMO, is one of the absolute best ways of working out, especially when trying to 'shock the body' into responding.
  • ontheedge50
    ontheedge50 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't miss smoking at ALL! Should have quit long ago! It's been tough but I'm not giving up. I've been taking a winter ski conditioning class. It's pretty versatile. Arms Legs Core. But it's over now. I work out on my own 5 days a week. Cardio 30 mins. and strength training 30 mins. One day arms and core. Next day legs and core. Keeping track of EVERY BITE! UGH! Keeping my calories around 1200. Lots of water.
    If I'd done what I'm doing now to loose 5 or 10 lbs. just 2 years ago. I would have already reach my goal. Damn! Middle age sucks! lol
    Thanks for the encouraging words! You guys are very inspirational here! :0)
  • ontheedge50
    Options
    Dead Metabolism!!!!!
    Like singfree, I hope you've talked to your doctor about your thyroid situation and are currently doing what you can to address that issue.

I think in order to help you, you might need to outline what you mean by 'working hard'. Are you working out? Doing what and for how long? What is your caloric intake? Is it balanced? Are you eating your exercise calories?

I described this in another post on this board, but I will here as well. I was completely alarmed when I learned how few calories my body needs in order to function. Outside of fitness, my life is pretty sedentary. I'm 43 years old, and 5'2". Given my current weight, I need only something like 1550 calories a day to maintain my weight if I don't exercise. That's pretty low. Given that, it is actually impossible to create much of a calorie deficit in order to lose weight without fitness. At most, if I don't workout, I could lose about 1 pound every two weeks through diet alone (eating the minimum of 1200 calories a day....and I should eat more than that because my body needs 1300 calories a day to just lie there).

That's a pretty scary figure in my mind. So my situation is that I can't eat all of my exercise calories if I want to create a bigger deficit of calories (between 500-1000). And I need to exercise to create the deficit needed to lose weight.

You may be in a similar situation. If you want help trying to figure this out, let me know.

Outside of that, in terms of fitness, there are some great ways of boosting your metabolism. Circuit training is a great way of challenging the body. Lifting weights, over the long run, is great for boosting your metabolism (because of the added muscle). Circuit training involving a mixture of weights and aerobics, IMO, is one of the absolute best ways of working out, especially when trying to 'shock the body' into responding.
  • ontheedge50
    Options
    PS.....Yes I'm under a Dr.'s care for my Thyroid. And HRT's from my GYN. The combination has just really thrown my system into a whirl and I haven't been able to get things going.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Hello to all of the new ones!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: I am glad to see everyone helping and supporting each other!!! Love all the suggestions!!!

Ontheedge, way to go on quitting smoking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've lost track of how long I've been smoke free. That is wonderful!!! Now, are you eating your exercise calories???? You might not be eating enough and that tends to plummet your metabolism.

I agree with the suggestions on the cheat day/meal. I would not go overboard with that. For example I already know when I am going to use my cheat meal, on Sat evening. I am going out with my girlfriends to this puertorrican restaurant, lots of fried appetizers, so that would be my cheat meal but I will still work it in the calories for that day. Another thing that I am researching is to zig-zag the calories, Check out this site: http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm# It was suggested by my beachbody coach, thanks Jess!!!, I think it is a great idea, check it out and if you have gone over just count it as some of the days that you are allowed more calories according to this site. Now, remember try to avoid junk/crap foods!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eating clean to me is to avoid processed foods as much as possible, the longer you do it the better you get at it. And the less you miss those types of foods. Try to cook as much as possible using fresh ingredients, eat more natural foods, fruits, veggies, meats, eggs, whole grains...coffee is not really bad for you, it is what you put in it. And caffeine affects everyone differently so you know how much is too much for you...

Wolfena, you need to stay away from the break room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: Tell us how we can help you avoid the trap!!! Were you hungry at the time? What caused you to lose will power? And I am not picking on you, I just want to help. :flowerforyou:
  • lisaleigh
    Options
    Can someone define clean eating for me please?

Also I just wanted to say that my brother told me that when he body builds and watches what he eats that one day a week (changes never a set day) he'll blow over his calories. That basically this tricks his body into not thinking he's watching his diet. anyone else ever heard of this?
    Clean eating is staying away from processed and junk foods. Frozen dinners, canned foods, ANYTHING in the potato chip aisle, anything with HFC (high fructose corn syrup) and laying off the sweets. The eat clean shopping rule of thumb is to shop the outside ring of the store and NOT the aisles. In other words, you are buying from the produce department and the meat and fish department etc. After awhile, it just becomes normal. I live in Mexico, so it's always hot which retards my appetite, and fresh produce and gorgeous fruits are inexpensive. I know this gives me the edge! I grew up in NYC and spent years in Boston and Boulder, Co. Cold winters make eating clean alot more difficult. But if you start by replacing sweet snacks with an apple or a pear, pare down your portions and add lots of salad (without the hi cal dressing :laugh: ) you are on the right road! And the trick your metabolism does work! A few times a month you eat all carbs one day, all protein another and all fruit and veggies another. Try It!! :happy:
  • alf1163
    Options
    How is everyone doing today?? I did the shred video today, all three levels. I am not eating all my calories because I am zig-zagging and I am supposed to eat less calories than what I burned. I already planned all my meals for today and log them in. I hope no one or nothing sabotages my plan :laugh: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Wolfena, you need to stay away from the break room!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh: :laugh: Tell us how we can help you avoid the trap!!! Were you hungry at the time? What caused you to lose will power? And I am not picking on you, I just want to help. :flowerforyou:

Hello to everyone from me too! :flowerforyou:

Yes - I DO need to stay out of that break room. I don't know how you can help, it's not only the break room it's also the candy basket next to the fax machine. I wasn't hungry, I just went in there for some privacy while on a phonecall and there the cookies sat so I ate them. Actually ONLY eating four was pretty good for me! :laugh: I think only I can help myself.... and just don't seem to care WHILE I'm eating, it's after I'm done that I kick myself!

Today I didn't eat any cookies, but I have had at least 4 Hersheys kisses out of that freakin' basket. I know I don't NEED that stuff, heck - I don't even like the flavor kisses that are in there but I eat them anyway! Maybe I need closer supervision from a specific online buddy or someone here at home in person to help me out. Just don't know who!

Anyway, I am not doing well in our "avoidance of crap" competition :embarassed:
  • singfree
    Options
    Wolfena, you mentioned Hershey Kisses? Every Monday evening I have a choir rehearsal in downtown HERSHEY, PA! Talk about the ultimate temptation. The Church we rehearse at is literally 1 block from the giant Hershey Chocolate Company, and the smell of delicious chocolate fills the town. Even the streetlights are shaped like kisses! This is not a plug, but if you want a sample of some outstanding music, go to www.susquehannachorale.org, and listen to some of our music.

The biggest derailer for me is the office junk food. Everyone brings in cake, cookies, etc...

If I plan my meals ahead of time, I can usually stay focused...at least 'till the weedend!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Wolfena, you mentioned Hershey Kisses? Every Monday evening I have a choir rehearsal in downtown HERSHEY, PA! Talk about the ultimate temptation. The Church we rehearse at is literally 1 block from the giant Hershey Chocolate Company, and the smell of delicious chocolate fills the town. Even the streetlights are shaped like kisses! This is not a plug, but if you want a sample of some outstanding music, go to www.susquehannachorale.org, and listen to some of our music.

The biggest derailer for me is the office junk food. Everyone brings in cake, cookies, etc...

If I plan my meals ahead of time, I can usually stay focused...at least 'till the weedend!

Yes I know! I only live about an hour from Hershey here in PA. Drive through the town quite often, yes it DOES smell delicious! :tongue:
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Hey all. I made it through day 1 without any crap food. I'm trying to live vicariously through my husband right now and kept telling him all day yesterday that he really NEEDED Dairy Queen. I haven't had Dairy Queen in years, so goodness only knows where that craving came from! The funny thing is I think I wanted him to have one because sometimes just smelling a food can rid me of my craving, which is kind of strange. But my husband is an independent thinker (which is a very good thing) because he remained less-than-convinced that the need I established for him was an actual need and he resisted. He sees right through me sometimes. :bigsmile:

I'm doing good today. I did one hour of weight training this morning (triceps and back), plus about 1 hour of core/pilates work. I think I might go for a walk this afternoon as well.

I really wish I could master the art of clean eating. The more I learn about processed foods, the more I am trying to adapt cleaner eating habits. I think it will just take some time and more research than what I've done to date.

alf1163, thanks for that website. I'm going to have to do some reading there, that's for sure. Looks like there is some great information.
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    Had a pretty good day! I did the cardio circuit for Power 90 and had a really good workout. I've eaten pretty well but I did have 2 saltines with my soup. I'm going to have to find a whole wheat variety because I have to have something crunchy and salty with my soup. I just have a strange affinity for white salty saltines. Oh well 2 is only 30 calories and I've been good otherwise.
  • alf1163
    Options

Hello to everyone from me too! :flowerforyou:

Yes - I DO need to stay out of that break room. I don't know how you can help, it's not only the break room it's also the candy basket next to the fax machine. I wasn't hungry, I just went in there for some privacy while on a phonecall and there the cookies sat so I ate them. Actually ONLY eating four was pretty good for me! :laugh: I think only I can help myself.... and just don't seem to care WHILE I'm eating, it's after I'm done that I kick myself!

Today I didn't eat any cookies, but I have had at least 4 Hersheys kisses out of that freakin' basket. I know I don't NEED that stuff, heck - I don't even like the flavor kisses that are in there but I eat them anyway! Maybe I need closer supervision from a specific online buddy or someone here at home in person to help me out. Just don't know who!

Anyway, I am not doing well in our "avoidance of crap" competition :embarassed:

You are soooo right, when it comes down to it we can only help ourselves. We are the only ones with the power to control those cravings or not. I understand you. I just thought there might something that we could help you with. Since you have done it before the only thing I can think of is to think about what motivated you in the past to control those cravings. When you talked about being on the phone and eating the cookies it reminded me of myself when I lose control. One of the times that I eat mindlessly is when I am on the phone or sitting in front of the tv with a bag of chips, etc. I tend to do pretty well if I challenge myself and have a set goal such as now. I noticed during the Holidays when I was not logging in my foods that I was going back to my old habits. It is very easy for me to lose track...hang in there. :flowerforyou:
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    Too late to join the group? I'm 52 and have 5 kg (~11 lbs) to go - I've lost 5 kg in the past 2 months and hope to get the other 2 off by June. My main goal however is to keep up the exercise and the eating habits over the long haul.
  • singfree
    Options
    Some posters mentioned about cravings. For me, that is probably the biggest landmine in my journey to total fitness. In the past month at work, I was able to resist the cookies & cakes. Slowly, I am reprogramming my mind to see the end result and tune out the negative influences. I look at food differently now, as fuel for a well-tuned body. I would NEVER think of giving my little grandson anything to eat that was not beneficial to his healthy development. Why should I be any different? After all, don't we all want to live a long & happy life, without the miriad of medical problems facing most adults today? Let's commit to doing the right thing-- right now.
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Welcome hoamai!!!

Regarding cravings, like I said yesterday, I had a sudden craving for Dairy Queen, which is unusual. Well, I know that came from watching a TV show. And since I've been cutting out all of the crap in my diet over the past 5 weeks or so, I've come to realize that about 75% of my cravings actually come from watching TV. TV commercials in particular are just evil. It seems food is either advertised as tasty (or succulent or rich or all those positive words) OR it is advertised as healthy or good for you. And the food advertised as healthy AND tasty isn't advertised the same way (with all the delicious close-up photos) that tasty food is advertised, which, for me, doesn't result in the same number cravings. Frankly, when looking at a yogurt commercial (with a woman talking on the phone about how good it is) against a Dove chocolate commercial (with swirling images of chocoate on the screen), the cravings created for chocolate far outweigh the cravings for the yogurt!!

I, for one, think it is unfortunate that this is the way food is advertised because, as singfree said, food really is fuel, and in my opinion it should be seen AND advertised as such. That doesn't mean food can't be advertised as tasty, but what a difference it would make if some companies had to actually step up and discuss the nutritional value of their food. Restaurant advertising, IMO, is one of the worst because restaurant meals have gotten so completely out of control. Does anybody really think it is necessary for restaurant hamburger/fries meals to consistently be in the 1500-2000 calorie range? There are very few people who NEED to consume that number of calories in one meal.

I know I seem to have a bone to pick with eating out....but I do!! I live in a part of California that recently passed a law to ban the building of new fast food restaurants because officials discovered that the levels of obesity in the area were high AND increasing because so many people found that eating fast food was cheaper for them than buying groceries! And I suppose that got me thinking about not only the grocery stores (and I could go on about that forever....but I won't :smile: ), but the quality of fast food AND restaurant food as a whole. It boggles my mind the number of calories in some of the meals.

Anyhow, made it through yesterday without any crap. Today, I'm planning on doing about 70 minutes of high impact aerobics.
  • duffyzmom
    Options
    I loved what you said about advertising. My beef used to be with Nascar races. The darn M & M's - I eventually bought a snack size pack of peanut ones and would allow myself one during the race. Now I'm focused more the cheerios car so that I can even make a healthy choice.
  • singfree
    Options
    Great observations, StiringWendel. Right now I am getting ready for my noon workout (I also do a workout at 5 am). Today is HIIT on treadmill (15 degrees incline and alternate 45 sec @ 4.6 mph and 45 sec @ 8.5 mph) total of 200-250 cals. Then strength train lower body & abs. See everyone later.

30+ days scale free!
    I don't weigh myself--use mirror instead.