14 day green smoothie challenge

Options
I am starting a 14 day green smoothie challenge. I will post the smoothie every day that I am drinking. Please be advised that I am not responsible for what they taste like as I am getting this via e mail every day. From looking at the recipe I may be adding in a raw egg or protein powder to add to it.

Todays recipe:

Green Smoothie Recipe
½ head of romaine lettuce
3 bananas
2 cups water

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I am starting a 14 day green smoothie challenge. I will post the smoothie every day that I am drinking. Please be advised that I am not responsible for what they taste like as I am getting this via e mail every day. From looking at the recipe I may be adding in a raw egg or protein powder to add to it.

Todays recipe:

Green Smoothie Recipe
    ½ romaine lettuce
    3 bananas
    2 cups water

FYI....thats not a very healthy smoothie...just sayin
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This is great! I don't think I would say I am into smoothies but I will join you in 14 days of juicing straight and try to get as close as I can to what you are making. Today I have already made my juice:
    kale
    spinach
    garlic
    jalapeno
    red pepper
    tomato
    carrot
    celery

( needed to use up a few things:)- turned out pretty well though)

Yum! Thanks!
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    I added in 30 g of Vega Whole food Optimizer chocolate flavour and it tasted ok. drinking half now and saving the other half for later.

I figure the half is as follows:

Calories 223
    Carbs 48
    Fat 2
    Protein 7
    Fiber 9
    Sodium 7
  • avsingleton
    avsingleton Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    good luck! i really need to join u. this is motivation!!!
  • KokomoJoe
    Options

Todays recipe:

Green Smoothie Recipe
    ½ romaine lettuce
    3 bananas
    2 cups water

Are you saying that because bananas are a high GI food? Sure beats a log of other things that could be eaten or drank.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Todays recipe:

Green Smoothie Recipe
    ½ romaine lettuce
    3 bananas
    2 cups water

Are you saying that because bananas are a high GI food? Sure beats a log of other things that could be eaten or drank.

basically, yes...one small bananna has about 12-14 grams of sugar..so three would be 36 grams! I love banannas but only eat a half a bananna at one time and try to eat some fat with it like cheese or peanut butter yes its true...this smoothie is alot better than some things but it just aint that great...no worries...its a good challenge tho
  • Manysongs
    Options
    So I'm curious. I received the same email. Haven't started it yet. But are you suppose to eat as well during the day or just stick with the smoothie only?? I wasn't clear on that.
    It sounds good and I'd like to try it as well.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    So I'm curious. I received the same email. Haven't started it yet. But are you suppose to eat as well during the day or just stick with the smoothie only?? I wasn't clear on that.
    It sounds good and I'd like to try it as well.

I have no plans on living the day off the smoothie, just incorporating it into my daily routine. I normally start my day with a smoothie anyways so I will be making their smoothie which today made approx. 1 L therefore I had half for "breakfast" and will drink the other half later. I will eat other items and stay within my goals for the day. I let a few of the "daily" e mails build up so I can make sure I have the items on hand that they are recommending. I need to find ways to get raw greens into my diet and think this might help.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Todays recipe:

Green Smoothie Recipe
    ½ romaine lettuce
    3 bananas
    2 cups water

• babynew
    Options
    I,m in.just did 27 days. Raw detox. Off to mostly,95%vegan
    4 days. & BEEN back on. 2...So good timing.Good luck
    Prepare.to sweat....LITERALLY.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    I will join you in the green smoothie challenge.

I haven't had one for about 2 weeks and I miss it. 3 bananas is a lot for one blender full of smoothie. I don't know who's emailing you the smoothie recipes, but it could be made a lot better. In smoothies, the banana is used as the sweetener. I let my bananas get fully ripened and then freeze them. One half or one whole banana is usually enough. Romaine and spinach are very mild flavored. A good one that I've made before is: 1/2 head red romaine, 1/2 medium sized frozen banana, 1 cup baby spinach, 1/2 cup Dole frozen fruit blend, 1/2 cup 100% juice, your choice (optional), filtered water as needed, up to 2 cups. A serving is 8 to 12 ounces. Add ins that I use ~ 1 scoop of protein powder / plain or vanilla yogurt / 2 TBS wheat germ / 2 TBS flax seed meal / green superfoods powder.

I'll post my smoothie recipe later also if you'd like.

Also~ I have this app, but have never used it. It has excellent recipes. Green smoothies, by the Raw Family.
  • babynew
    Options
    I,m in.just did 27 days. Raw detox. Off to mostly,95%vegan
    4 days. & BEEN back on. 2...So good timing.Good luck
    Prepare.to sweat....LITERALLY.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options

Todays recipe:

Green Smoothie Recipe
    ½ head of romaine lettuce
    3 bananas
    2 cups water

Can I ask what your goal is here?
    Is this something you drink once a day in addition to your other meals, a replacement, or the only thing you drink.. or?
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    My goal is to get more raw greens into my diet. I am using this as one/two (two only because it made 1L and I wouldn't drink it entirely at once). So my first breakfast and one snack during the day will be the smoothie. I will also modify the recipe's as I see fit and state what I did. This mornings smoothie I added Vega meal optimizer and probably should have added some hemp oil but didn't think of it at the time.

Babynew: I did a 15 day raw liquid detox before so I understand what your saying. I felt completely horrible when I did it. Any type of physical work hurt. However during that journey I dropped 80 lbs. Unfortunately I now have a lot of those lost pounds back and working to getting rid of them again.

I love smoothies and this should give me some new recipes to help along the way.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I never liked water in my smoothies I like green tea or black tea, I also would cut it down to one banana ( if you are splitting into 2 smoothies, half a banana per smoothie) and spinach instead of lettuce ( for taste). Protein powder is good thing to put in too! Great challenge but, don't be afraid to look for more tasty and healthy was to spruce these recipes up if needed!
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 3,989 Member
    Options
    My Smoothie #1
    1 cup raw baby spinach
    1/2 cup strawberries, frozen
    1/2 cup papaya
    1/2 cup papaya nectar
    (I also added 3 tsps Dr. Hagiwara magma plus superfood powder. It adds 36 calories.)
    just enough filterd water to make drinkable

1 serving 128 calories ~ 164 calories w/green powder

@cheeksv~ I don't like using water either, only enough to get the mixture moving in the blender. Green tea is good! I want to get matcha green tea powder, hemp powder, chlorella and spirulina for my smoothies.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Day 2 smoothie

1 cup raspberries
    1 cup blueberries
    1 apple
    3 big handfuls of baby spinach
    2 cups of water
  • Charlottejogs
    Charlottejogs Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Juice day 2:
    carrot, apple, cucumber
  • libland
    libland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have a green smoothie every morning for breakfast - great way to get in some extra veg. I usually use 1 cup frozen mixed berries, protein powder, cinnamon, allspice 8 oz water... fill the rest of the Vitamix with baby spinach. Sometimes I leave out the protein powder and have eggs instead.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    Day 3

Todays recipe

4-5 kale leaves
    3 apples
    ½ lemon juiced
    2 cups of water

I don't know if I don't have a strong enough blender, but I found this a little chewy with the kale but I put more than 4 or 5 leaves in. Added Vanilla chai whole food optimizer by Vega in to it as well.