Options

Replies

• gmdutton
    Options
    Bump
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I just tried this recipe last night and it was delicious! I omitted the feta cheese and used dried basil for flavor instead of the fresh basil (mainly because I wanted to keep it low budget and use stuff I already had). It was delicious!

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/chicken-with-quinoa-and-veggies/detail.aspx
  • caz0307
    Options
    I love to add Trader Joe's Corn Salsa to my cooked quinoa. it adds a wonderful spicy sweetness. You could add as little as 1-2 T to a cup of cooked quinoa and get the desired flavor.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I made this the other day, and it was very good. I used spinach, 0% fat Greek yogurt and the healthy request cream of mushroom, instead of broccoli, mayo and regular cream of mushroom. I also added sliced mushrooms. Next time, I think I will add Some grilled chicken.

http://eatingwelllivingthin.wordpress.com/2011/04/14/blast-from-the-past-with-a-new-twist/
  • suepeta
    suepeta Posts: 42
    Options
    bump
  • tracymarie2012
    tracymarie2012 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've had Quinoa twice, both recipes were delicious, didnt realize how good it was.

1) greek salad ingredients with quinoa

2) turkey stuffing made with quinoa and cranberries- wow.. that was comfort food.
  • jodren11
    jodren11 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Cheesy Quinoa and Vegetables

This is basically a healthy version of my Macaroni and Cheese.

Mix 1 cup of cooked Quinoa with 1-1/2 cups of cheese (low fat if not higher in sodium), 1 cup+ vegetables that are around ( I used cauliflower and spinach), 1 cup milk (low 1% or no fat) 1 egg (or egg white or one of both), Top with anothere 1/2 cup of cheese and Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    I just made this recipe but substituted Quinoa instead of Orzo
    Spanakopita Orzo - 165 calories per serving!

This makes 8 1/3 cup servings.

Per Serving
    Calories 165, Carbs 23, Fat 5, Protein 8, Fiber 1, Sodium 280

1/2 pound orzo pasta
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 small onion, finely chopped
    3-4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1/2 cup vegetable stock
    3 cups spinach
    1 cup crumbled feta cheese
    salt & pepper

1. bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat, & cook the pasta al dente according to the package directions.

2. in a large skillet over medium-high heat, add the olive oil, onion, & garlic. saute until tender, about 5 minutes.

3. add vegetable stock & 2 cups spinach to a food processor, & pulse until smooth.

4. add the puree to the onions & garlic, & heat through.

5. remove the pan from the heat, & stir in the orzo, the remaining whole leaves of spinach, & the feta. season with salt & pepper.
  • k4evans1
    k4evans1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have a few on my blog :)
    http://freshfitnfabulous.blogspot.com/
  • pstaceyca
    pstaceyca Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • northernlights907
    Options
    bump
  • honeyzambon
    honeyzambon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have used this and it is a great subsitute for rice. I have only made it according to the package directions. The only change that I have made is to use chicken stock rather than just water. My kids prefer it that way.
  • so_long_blubber
    so_long_blubber Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump

Mmmm!! Yummy!!!
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Breakfast Blueberry Quinoa ( 2 servings)

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sugar Fiber
    Shoprite - 1% Low Fat Milk, 2 cup [8 oz.] 200 24 5 16 24 0
    Quinoa - Quinoa Cooked, 1 cup cooked 222 10 4 8 0 5
    Domino - Light Brown Sugar 4 tsp. 60 16 0 0 16 0
    Blueberries - Raw, 1 cup 83 21 0 1 14 3
    Spices - Cinnamon, ground, 0.8 tsp 5 1 0 0 0 1
    Add Ingredient
    Total: 570 72 9 25 54 9
    Per Serving: 285 36 5 13 27 5

Makes 2 cups
    Ingredients:

2 cups whole or low-fat milk, plus more for serving
    1 cup quinoa, rinsed
    3 tablespoons light-brown sugar, plus more for serving
    1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon, plus more for serving
    1 cup (1/2 pint) fresh blueberries, plus more for serving
    Directions

Bring milk to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, covered, until three-quarters of the milk has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
    Stir in sugar and cinnamon. Cook, covered, until almost all the milk has been absorbed, about 8 minutes. Stir in blueberries, and cook for 30 seconds. Serve with additional milk, sugar, cinnamon, and blueberries.
  • kyoules
    kyoules Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I made some Vegetarian Quinoa Chili tonight and it was delicious! I used this recipe: http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/vegetarian-quinoa-chili/, and also added a can of corn. It came out to 171 calories per 1 cup serving, and made 14 cups.
  • Mrsfluth
    Options
    Quinoa and Black Beans, great recipe here! I've made it several times and thanks for reminding me to make it again, lol!

Copy and Paste:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx

This one sounds really good! Thanks for sharing!
  • awdamm
    awdamm Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    GARLIC AND THYME QUINOA PATTIES

Adapted from Super Natural Every Day by Heidi Swanson

Preparation Time – 20 minutes
    Cooking Time – 20 minutes
    Makes – 20

Ingredients

2 and 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
    5 organic eggs
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    3 whole meal bread slices, processed into breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
    3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 large Spanish onion, finely chopped
    1 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
    1 teaspoon mild paprika
    sea salt flakes to taste
    olive oil to pan fry

Method

Put all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well with a large wooden spoon until thoroughly combined.

Scoop some mixture in the palm of your hands to shape a patties approximately 5cm in diameter and 1cm thick. This size will yield approximately 20 patties with the mixture you have. (You can make them smaller and thicker or large and flatter as per your preference.)

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Gently place 4-5 patties in the pan and shallow fry, cooking each side for 2 minutes before gently flipping over with a small spatula to cook the other side. Repeat till all patties are cooked. Use a tablespoon of oil each time you start cooking a new batch of patties.

Serve hot or cold with ketchup and salad greens.

Notes

These are delicate patties and a tad tricky to shape as they may stick to your hands or fall apart in the pan. Gently handling will prevent them from falling apart. once one side is cooked, they become easier to manage and even flatten nicely for even browning.

If you find it impossible to work with them or shape them, try adding 1 tablespoon of plain flour to make them hold their shape.
  • alphagirl82
    Options
    I just tried the Spicy Quinoa recipe from All Recipes for dinner tonight. It was absolutely amazing. I made it for the guy I've just started to date, along with some salmon and asparagus. It was my first time cooking for him and he took seconds of everything. The recipe has almost an Indian flavor to it (it's got lots of curry powder and some cumin). I added a little extra chicken broth to keep it moist, but that is the only change I made to the recipe.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spiced-quinoa/detail.aspx