diet soda or no diet soda

Options

Replies

• sarahvive
    Options
    I recognize it's not the best thing for me, but neither is being obese! I like how the bubbles make me feel full. I like drinking it at gatherings where I tend to overeat - gives me something to ingest instead of chips and dips or beer! Right now, diet soda is a means to an end for me - a tool. Maybe I'll decrease my use of it as I get closer to my goal.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    The artificial sweeteners are horrible for you. Many are toxic substances that cannot be processed by our bodies, some are even on the EPA's list of most toxic chemical substances. If you absolutely HAVE to have a soda, opt for a sparkling juice instead. Yes, they have calories, but they are so much better for your body! The 150 or so calories they have are worth when it comes to overall health. Plus, they at least have some vitamin C in those calories.

Then you have to do a detox cleanse right? :wink:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,568 Member
    Options
    What about no soda? just drink seltzer water w lime if what you want is the bubbles! Unless you're having a rum and coke! no soda! it doesn't give you anything! really! no nutrients, no nada!
    Like many here have said, it gives them the "sweetness" without the calories. If you have a sweet tooth, this can be a good way to keep it at bay.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • suzysassafrass
    suzysassafrass Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that diet soda does actually make me crave sweets, I read an article about it and thought it was all crap, but when I kind of experimented and drank regular and didn't have the cravings like I did when I drank diet. Plus the sodium adds up fast when you're drinking it regularly. I don't think it will totally kill your diet to have a few a week, but I'm trying to wean myself off of it entirely as I know it's not good for me. I mean, really, it is just chemicals when you think about it..
  • looklikeaskelet0n
    Options
    i drink diet soda a LOT... hopefully it doesn't make you gain weight..
  • Scarlett_S
    Scarlett_S Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I know they aren't the best thing for you as well, and I am concerned more about the phosphorous and artificial sweeteners than the caffeine. But I do have one or two a day, and have been for the past six months, and I still have been on top of my weight loss.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    I thought it had alot of sodium also. But it doesn't seem like that much?

http://productnutrition.thecoca-colacompany.com/products/diet-coke#nutrition
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    No soda! Cut back as much as you can and you will see a difference. Until you are off, at least do cafeine free, no sugar added.

Sure switching from regular to diet helps, much less sugar from some to none makes another big difference.

If you aren't sure, ask a nutritionist! They will tell you to skip it and all the artifical sweetners as much as you can!!!!

Best of Luck!!!
  • andreabball
    andreabball Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I found that I lost a good 5-8 lbs without even trying once I nixed the diet soda and artificial sweeteners. I drink tea, coffee, milk, water and red wine (for my heart, ya know?!).
    -Andi
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    My god!
    Why would anybody advocate drinking that nasty, processed crud?
    Drink water with lemon, green tea, and if you need caffeine, fresh brewed coffee or tea.

Come on folks!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My god!
    Drink water with lemon, green tea, and if you need caffeine, fresh brewed coffee or tea.

Come on folks!
    Substitutions for some don't do it. Like when some substitutes "turkey bacon" for real bacon. It's not the same thing. I drink it for the "sweetness" and taste. That's basically it. Don't care if it has no nutritional value. It satisfies my sweet tooth.

IDEA Fitness member
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    No soda! Cut back as much as you can and you will see a difference. Until you are off, at least do cafeine free, no sugar added.

Sure switching from regular to diet helps, much less sugar from some to none makes another big difference.

If you aren't sure, ask a nutritionist! They will tell you to skip it and all the artifical sweetners as much as you can!!!!

Best of Luck!!!

What is wrong with caffeine?
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

nothing
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    My god!

Come on folks!

If we all ate/drank perfectly, there would be no need for this site right? To me, diet soda was an alternative to regular soda. I'm starting to ween myself off of drinking more than about 1 per 2 days. For alot of people is a process. Many people just can't go from soda to water. Right now, I'm using water with MIO. It has helped.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

It's POISON. Google it and you'll find TONS of articles, blogs and opinions on how bad it is for you...................:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I don't get any enjoyment out of plain water (or water with lemon, lime, etc.). I don't want to put anything in my mouth if I don't get pleasure from it.

That can be taken in an entirely different way. :embarassed:
  • ecalonge
    Options
    ..... who wants to take bets that you won't though?

You're right, it will never stop!!! LOL!
    But I will - this will be my last post on this cause no amount of fair and respectful presentation of the "other side" will get through.

Ok, I lied, gotta say I'm LMAO on the above post!:laugh:
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    My god!

Come on folks!

It seems dumb to act so scandalized about "processed" food and then advocate things like coffee or tea. Coffee, which is picked, shelled, dried, roasted, then ground and brewed. If that doesn't sound like a process, I'd love to know what a process is...

It never makes any sense to me. "But it's full of chemicals!!!!" Yea, and? Oranges are full of limonene, ascorbic acid, and citric acid. Oh...but...but... its NATURAL

Yea? Natural? Like poison ivy, ragweed, and hemlock.

Seems dumb. Just sayin.
  • MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    My god!

Come on folks!

It seems dumb to act so scandalized about "processed" food and then advocate things like coffee or tea. Coffee, which is picked, shelled, dried, roasted, then ground and brewed. If that doesn't sound like a process, I'd love to know what a process is...

It never makes any sense to me. "But it's full of chemicals!!!!" Yea, and? Oranges are full of limonene, ascorbic acid, and citric acid. Oh...but...but... its NATURAL

Yea? Natural? Like poison ivy, ragweed, and hemlock.

Seems dumb. Just sayin.

The difference between something "seeming dumb" and being dumb is perspective. Get some.

6921816.png
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

The difference between something "seeming dumb" and being dumb is perspective. Get some.

Perhaps you could enlighten me, since I apparently lack perspective. By what logic can you claim something is good simply because it is natural, and bad because it is man made. That sounds like an ignorant generalization to me, but I lack perspective, so I'll defer to you, in this case ;)