diet soda or no diet soda

Options

Replies

• MattGetsMad
    MattGetsMad Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    This whole thread has kind of taken a strange turn. It has turned into people being told what is right and what is wrong. After reading my previous post, I realize how brash I sounded and I apologize for that but my point is this:

Diet soda drinkers shouldn't have to defend themselves, but they shouldn't lie to themselves either. Diet soda is not a healthy alternative to soda. It is a sugar free alternative to soda. That's it. A healthy alternative to soda is water. Period, point blank, simple.

Now, please assault me with endless comments and website links.

6921816.png
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    Perspective is overrated.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    What is wrong with caffeine?

nothing

Exactly! Not sure why the caffeine is now bad in the soda too xD I get LOTS of caffeine everyday.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think diet pop is of the DEVIL!!!! LOL. But I was really addicted to it, and for me I needed to cut it out. I don't know if 3-4 a week will derail your efforts to lose weight but it is full of chemicals and unnatural stuff that is not good for anyone. Plus, most are high in sodium and will cause you to drink less water. Cutting it out of my diet was one of my first steps in winning the battle over my weight. I'm sure people have differing opinions, but its just my experience.
    Options
    This whole thread has kind of taken a strange turn. It has turned into people being told what is right and what is wrong. After reading my previous post, I realize how brash I sounded and I apologize for that but my point is this:

Diet soda drinkers shouldn't have to defend themselves, but they shouldn't lie to themselves either. Diet soda is not a healthy alternative to soda. It is a sugar free alternative to soda. That's it. A healthy alternative to soda is water. Period, point blank, simple.

6921816.png

I don't see how they are lying to themselves. It can be a better alternative. Zero calorie soda while losing weight or 170 calorie soda..hmmm..
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options

6921816.png

I think everyone already knows this. Question is knowing and doing are two very different things.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options

What is wrong with caffeine?
    It's POISON. Google it and you'll find TONS of articles, blogs and opinions on how bad it is for you...................:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Finally; we agree - lol
    It's a drug too- highly addictive, and I weaned down to green tea.
    The amount of caffeine here is not that great. I just don't like being addicted.

No harm though; let's not get too dogmatic about the good things of life.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Exactly! Not sure why the caffeine is now bad in the soda too xD I get LOTS of caffeine everyday.

I suppose the things people find unhealthy about soda are the acid, caffeine, and artificial sweeteners.

I don't think anyone with moderate soda habits will have any issues with the above. I do have concerns, perhaps unfounded, for people who are drinking 60+ oz of diet soda on a daily basis. (teeth, GI tract, etc)

For me, it's simple. I hate the taste, and know that diet soda has no redeeming nutritional value. I think for others, it is a successful strategy for replacing sugary drinks.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Study: Drinking diet soda actually causes weight gain, blood sugar spikes

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033110_diet_soda_weight_gain.html#ixzz1gMWBgUkr
    Options

I suppose the things people find unhealthy about soda are the acid, caffeine, and artificial sweeteners.

I don't think anyone with moderate soda habits will have any issues with the above. I do have concerns, perhaps unfounded, for people who are drinking 60+ oz of diet soda on a daily basis. (teeth, GI tract, etc)

For me, it's simple. I hate the taste, and know that diet soda has no redeeming nutritional value. I think for others, it is a successful strategy for replacing sugary drinks.

I think if it helps them then I see no problem. Just need a good tooth brush xD
    I actually rarely drink diet soda, but i stick up for it :] Just because the "poison" thing bugs me to no end
    I like some ginger ale or 7up when I am sick, but coffee is my regualr drink. I get over 1g of caffeine per day now :indifferent:
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/033110_diet_soda_weight_gain.html#ixzz1gMWBgUkr

Now this just frustrates me. If you'd taken the time to read the thread, you'd see that people have already referenced this study. Other posters have also debunked this study, noting that it was not controlled by diet. Not controlling for diet invites all kinds of confounding variables, that prevents this correlation from being anything like "causation." The correlation is practically meaningless in this study...
  • RaeN81
    RaeN81 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump--so many responses here! I personally enjoy diet drinks but I am aware that they add to my daily sodium and caffeine and if I drink too much it does have side effects. I'm sure the debate will rage on about them for some time to come.
  • christibear
    christibear Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As long as your not counting it as fluid intake. Drink as much water and more for every can you drink.

Completely wrong. In terms of hydration soda counts just as much as pure water. Caffeine does not dehydrate you.

I'm sorry but I disagree, soda does not hydrate the body as much as pure water, no body will ever convince me otherwise.
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Now this just frustrates me. If you'd taken the time to read the thread, you'd see that people have already referenced this study. Other posters have also debunked this study, noting that it was not controlled by diet. Not controlling for diet invites all kinds of confounding variables, that prevents this correlation from being anything like "causation." The correlation is practically meaningless in this study...

No need to get frustrated. Everyone is entitled to an opinion or post. Plus, I don't have time to read 11 pages of posts. I, personally, don't agree that diet sodas are the right way to go. I'm sure not everyone who disagreed with the study is an expert other than the fact that they like to drink diet sodas.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    Options

No need to get frustrated. Everyone is entitled to an opinion or post. Plus, I don't have time to read 11 pages of posts. I, personally, don't agree that diet sodas are the right way to go. I'm sure not everyone who disagreed with the study is an expert other than the fact that they like to drink diet sodas.

Rehash the same. old. crap. Right or wrong, it's annoying.
  • Puffins1958
    Puffins1958 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I don't generally drink carbonated drinks

12117749.png
  • Suzanne106
    Suzanne106 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, drink it! I don't smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol so if a diet coke a day makes me happy and makes you happy, then have one. It won't hinder your weight loss. If you deprive yourself of anything eventually you will binge on it or feel cheated and irritated so just have a diet coke and a smile:drinker:
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I don't generally drink carbonated drinks

Trying to avoid C02 or what?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy it, drink it! I don't smoke, do drugs or drink alcohol so if a diet coke a day makes me happy and makes you happy, then have one. It won't hinder your weight loss. If you deprive yourself of anything eventually you will binge on it or feel cheated and irritated so just have a diet coke and a smile:drinker:
    Exactly, no diet soda for me....but a bong hit...why yes please! :smokin:
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    The only real problem with diet sodas is they taste hideous.

Other than that knock yourselves out. From a weight loss point their effect is de minimis.