diet soda or no diet soda

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Diet soft drinks tend to have a lot of hidden sodium which can cause you to retain fluids. Also you have a constant (to a degree) sweet access so your pallet doesn't acclimate to a less sweet diet. I am guilty of drinking them myself but I am very conscious of drinking a lot of water to flush out extra sodium.
    How's it hidden? It's on the label. If you're balanced with water intake, then the sodium shouldn't be an issue. Sounds like you are.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Diet soda has aspartame in it. Aspartame breaks down in your body into formaldehyde (which is the stuff scientists use to preserve dead things).
    So does eating fruit.
    Aspartame is also sweet which your body interprets as sugar. So your brain prepares itself for the instant energy it thinks it's going to receive. When it doesn't, it crashes and forces you to seek out other sweet foods which can cause you to binge.
    Not proven.
    I personally steer clear of diet soda. I don't really like soda but when I do decide to have a glass, it's a treat. Soda should be treated as an occasional thing, the same you would do with chocolate cake or some other treat.

As an alternative- you can drink sparkling water! It comes in various flavors and it has the word 'sparkling' in it which makes it sound pretty cool.
    And doesn't sparkling water have artificial flavoring and sweetener too?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    And, I've tried to be considerate of everyone in my debate and not be rude, but that seems to not be the case for everyone else. So, I will say this. You're thinking that diet soda is helping in your weight loss is ridiculous. I'm happy for you for accomplishing your goals, but it's not the diet soda.
    Gotta disagree. How is it ridiculous if it gives the caffeine boost some like and they actual enjoy drinking something with sweetness in it with no calories? Besides water, there really isn't anything you can drink that is devoid of calories if you want something "sweet" tasting like artificially sweetened drinks and soda.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options

Also, there is a lot of money being made on diet sodas. So, you have to believe that the "industry" is going to do their best to debunk any study that may cause harm to their bottom line.

It's not really difficult to debunk a weight gain study that ISNT CONTROLLED FOR DIET

The reality is that people who refrain from drinking soda, or diet soda, or both are the same people that tend to make healthier diet choices overall. For this reason alone, you cannot prove that diet cola causes weight gain.

Correlation does not equal causation. I've been in the biotech industry since 2001. I spent years at the bench, and now I specialize in computational modelling, statistics, and configuring custom software applications to do this for PhD scientists at the world's largest biotech firm. I don't even like diet soda and refuse to drink it. But that doesn't mean I won't critically analyze journal articles when I read them. The study itself isn't bad science. The bad part is how journalist / the media extrapolate things from the study that really arent true and then print them, to the mass confusion of lay people, like yourself.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Correlation isn't real evidence. But again it's a going to be a choice of whether or not you think it's okay with you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    double post