Nose piercing

Options

Replies

• thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have my nose pierced and I love it! I just have a small gold stud in it, it's cute. Have it done 4 years now. Also have my bellybutton pierced for 8 years, and my ear lobes and right ear rim. I like subtle piercings!
    My advice: Go to a professional, reputable piercing place. Make sure that they use a needle and not a gun and ask them for advice on upkeep/aftercare and follow that advice to a tee! Keep it clean and don't handle it and you'll be good to go!
    Well done on your hard work so far, keep it up, and good luck with your piercing!
  • juscallmeb
    juscallmeb Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Nose studs are one of the easier piercings to look after, as long as you know what you're doing with them. So read up on some piercing websites on aftercare and make sure you follow the instructions while it's healing. Despite what people say, changing jewellery is something that you shouldn't do until after the piercing is healed which can take a while! Always listen to a piercer's advice - oh and don't go to a jeweller or hairdresser to get it done, bad idea. That's usually how people end up with scars - needles are so much safer and better than guns!

**anti-piercing-gun rant over**

Just noticed people above me have already said these things but you can never overstate these things :wink:

I would also recommend buying a micro labret stud for it (if you want a stud) because other ones have backs that get very annoying. A good material like titanium will make sure it doesn't get agitated or infected. These type of studs are a little tricky to put in, but once it's in there it ain't coming out unless you want it to! Here's a link so you can see what it is: http://www.bodyjewelleryshop.com/online_store/titanium_micro_labret_studs_12mm_tiglo_3927400.cfm

I've had mine for years and have had no trouble with it (after the initial healing period).

Oh and go for it - you only live once as they say!

agree! needle is the best!
    I went to a tatoo artist/piercing shop. The guy did such a great job with placement and piercing i barely felt it :)
  • magneticcat
    magneticcat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Also I used to have to 'take it out' for work (for cosmetic reasons, not food-handling or anything), but I would just wear a clear retainer in it, otherwise it would grow over. You could barely notice it!
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I love the look on others, but when I got my nose pierced on my 30th birthday, I ended up not being crazy about it.....The piercing did not leave a scar on my nose. Heck, I even let my ear piercings close up, too....Not a big jewelry person, I guess...Just my wedding ring....
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    GET IT! I will live vicariously through you. At 32, I feel getting one now is "the ship has passed" material. :cry:
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I have my nose piercing for years now! It's small and sexy. I absolutely love it!

I went to a professional piecer who used a needle. I even have the pics of the needle sticking out of my nose.

I had one of the cork screws in at first but that was painful so I removed it and put a stud in.

I think you should get it and if you hate it you can always take it out during the healing process.
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    I've had mine for six years, during undergrad, grad school, student teaching, job interviews and now my teaching job for three years- never unprofessional, never garish and large. Never thought twice about NOT having it.
  • oneIT
    oneIT Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Get the real small flat stud you can hardly see. I think those look the best.
  • SingSmileLaugh
    Options
    GET IT! I will live vicariously through you. At 32, I feel getting one now is "the ship has passed" material. :cry:

The ship is still at port!
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I say go for it! I had mine pierced in college and I loved it. I can't remember exactly why I ended up taking it out. I was actually thinking of getting it done again. I don't notice a scar at all. It's actually the only piercing scar I don't have. I can definitely tell where my eyebrow was pierced, my bellybutton, and even my tongue still. :tongue:
  • acidwindowpain
    Options
    do it do it peirce ur nose
  • mwright24skinny
    mwright24skinny Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I say no
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options

The ship is still at port!

What about at 44??? I've been wanting one for a few years now (would get a tiny diamond) but am afraid I would look like a goof if I got one now.
  • losethechalupa
    losethechalupa Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Go for it! I got my done when I was about 21, its hurt for a hot second and then I was fine. I dont wear it all the time anymore but I dont have a mark (and black folks tend to scar easier) and the hole is still open. once it heals you can get a nose ring with a short post so that you dont have yuckys when you have a runny nose. I can blow my nose and everything with mine w/o a problem. Claires has short post nose rings it has a tiny ball on the end that goes into your nose which holds the earing in place and you cant see any unsightly coil or stem hanging down inside of your nose.

Good luck!
  • krazeestraw
    krazeestraw Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I say DO IT! Why not? It's not permanent (like a tattoo), so if you don't like it, you can always take it out.

I've had mine for almost 8 years, and I have never had a single problem with mine. Mine was done with a gun before I learned NOT to do that - if you get it pierced, go to a legitimate tattoo/piercing place where it will be done with a needle. Much safer and it will probably heal faster. There will be pain when it gets pierced, due to all of the nerve endings (I dare you not to tear up!), but as long as you follow proper cleaning instructions from the piercer any pain and swelling should go away in a couple of days. I have never noticed a problem with a cold/runny nose, with any kind of stud or ring. As others have mentioned, the bone studs hurt to take in and out (these have a jewel on the outside and a little ball on the inside - the ball doesn't come off and you have to shove it through the hole), but L-shaped or corkscrew studs are usually fine. Personally, I would go for some form of straight bar through the hole until it fully heals, then if you want to, switch to a ring. Some workplaces don't like facial piercings of any kind, but most body-jewelry stores (and even Claires) sell retainers for noses - clear, pink, or peach plasticy looking studs that you put in to try and match your skin and make the piercing look invisible/less obvious, without the hole closing due to a lack of a stud. Holes usually tend to close up quickly, so if you take it out for whatever reason (like washing your face) don't forget to put it back in before leaving the house. My cousin took hers out a couple of years ago and there is a small mark that almost looks like a freckle, but others I have seen have had no mark whatsoever - I guess it depends on your tendency to scar. If you do take it out, make sure you're sure about it, as re-piercing through scar tissue will be an issue.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
  • sheresamae
    sheresamae Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    had mine done 6 years ago with a needle at a nice tatoo shop didnt hurt at all was a little sore for a week or so, i used the stud style not the corkscrew i had it for over 5 years my allergies were awful this summer so i did end up taking it out i can see a small mark where it was but if i have on make up it isnt visible (prolly isnt visible to anyone else anyways).
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My only comment here for piercings is: Never get one done with a gun. Always use needles!

Edit: You're never too old to do something that makes you happy ;-)
  • Alishia_655
    Options
    I got mine done when I turned 17. (24 now) I wore it until 3 years ago. I had to take it out for work and just never put one back in. It didn't hurt and was super cute! I had my job for over a year before anyone at work even noticed it. I think a customer pointed it out and was asking where I got it done when my boss over heard.

I miss having my stud, but have since pierced my tongue too. I say, if you want it, go get it! I'm sure you will love it!
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    no offense to anybody, but i hate them, especially the rings people have. i think people look just fine as they are!
  • HealthyJess88
    HealthyJess88 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Follow local tattoo/piercing shops on Facebook. I wouldn't let anyone near me with a needle who didn't have a good FB presence. Plus, lots of places have special offers this time of year, such as discounts on certificates.

great idea!