What sparked "I'm going to lose that weight!"

Options

Replies

• scubaruby
    scubaruby Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    After gaining and losing the same 50-80 pounds several times over the past 40 years (most years spent on the high side) I found out shortly after I turned 55 that, despite being a vegan for over 20 years, I had high cholesterol and was pre-diabetic. I failed a stress test, which scared the bejesus out of me since my dad died of a heart attack at 54 and my sister had a pacemaker/defibrillator implanted at 54. I felt like I was living on borrowed time.

My heart turned out to be fine, and I've been scared straight. I'm down 22 pounds in two months, with another 28 to go
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    not fitting my clothes and not looking good in them at all
  • rgoodearl
    rgoodearl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Heart attack scare :noway:
  • nomoreexcuses121
    Options
    3 months after I had my daughter I was looking at pictures that my husband took of us and couldn't believe that it was me in the pictures! I looked huge! I couldn't blame the weight on being pregnant anymore and knew it was time. I also have been heavy my entire life and want to set a good example for my daughter.
  • tycusjay
    tycusjay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I want to look good in my wedding pics. Also I have always been a 12-14 (Aus) but recently I crept up to a 16 and even they were becoming tight. Enough was enough and now i'll never look back!
  • ceilingscrack
    ceilingscrack Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    When I dropped down from 185 to 132 in 2007, I lost the weight because I was starting my first year in college and wanted to change myself. Currently I'm at 141lbs and would like to lose weight so I can feel confident when I go out! I don't want to be the fat friend anymore, haha. Also, I'm getting older and I figured I should enjoy my youth while I can and get back to being healthy so I can keep my good heatlh as I age.
  • nancyko
    nancyko Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    In September I had blood work done and it came back that I was diabetic. That was just not a acceptable to me so the very next day I started eating healthy, watching my carbs, excerising and losing weight. When I saw the doctor I asked her if I was prediabetic or diabetic and she said diabetic but if I lost weight it would go away. That has been my goal every since. I am 68 years old and have decided for the rest of my life I am going to eat healthy. I go back for more blood work at the end of January and I know my sugar count will be down. I kinda think this has been a good thing because it got me to be serious about a healthy life style.
  • Funshinerika
    Options
    Went for a check up after not weighing myself for about 6 months. I knew I had gained weight during the divorce process but didn't think 20 pounds! The doctor told me my blood pressure was high and she was concerned for me. It runs in the family. After that I cried and knew something had to change. The next day, after throwing a pool party for my SO's 9-year-old, I found out that one of the boys there (I had never met) had said "I thought she would be skinny." THAT WAS IT! Two days in a row - the sign couldn't have been bigger! (no pun intended) It's time to get healthy and be proud of how I look and feel!
  • NomNomCupcakes
    NomNomCupcakes Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I always was a *little* overweight. My weight would go up and down but I always had back fat, a stomach, and huge boobs. I thought of myself as like 5 lbs overweight at most. One of my best friends is same height as me except super skinny so I felt like a fatty around her. I also wanted to look nice in a bikini for the summertime.

When all my pants stopped fitting I got really irritated. I wasn't sure if my pants were shrinking or I was ballooning. I did a little WiiFit here and there (which consistently told me I was overweight) to lose 5 lbs or so and usually gained it back but prior to summer I said enough was enough and started working out every single day and now here I am!
  • quiksandy
    quiksandy Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    My best friend from childhood is singing at Carnegie Hall in February. I really wanted to go on the trip to NYC with her. My hubby gave me incentive. He knew I'd been wanting to lose about 15 lbs for about 8 years. He told me, if I lose the weight I've been saying I wanted to lose and keep it off until February, then he would send me on that trip.

I set out to lose 15 lbs. So far I've lost (some pre-MFP) 27 lbs...just to be safe. I've booked my tickets and I'll be watching my friend sing at Carnegie Hall in February. Woo hoo!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Became tired of struggling with health and comfort. Knew I was capable of losing and got determined to figure out how and to do it rather than just thinking about it.
  • missay_
    Options
    My bestie sent me a quote. "A year from today you would have wished you had started now." it hit me like a ton of bricks. i have been trying to lose weight for like 13 years. i want this to be the last time i look at myself and feel gross. i want to be able to go take a casual hike with friends and not get tired/sweaty, i want to strap on some shoes and go for a run. i want to be my best self, not only for me, but for everyone around me!
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    1. I hated taking pictures, I wasn't used to my face being so pudgey and the double chin.
    2. I lost my curves, I had just become somewhat of a blob.
    3. I hated wearing anything other than sweats.
    4. I had to sing at an event for 30 min. and I was getting out of breath while walking on stage singing (and I've been performing since I was 10 years-old) and this was the first time that had ever happened to me.
    5. My friends who have always been bigger than me had lost a lot of weight and were a lot less then me.
    6. Comments that had been made to me.
    7. I missed feeling anywhere close to pretty.
  • Angel87a
    Angel87a Posts: 113
    Options
    All my clothes started getting tight & I always felt tired. I hate feeling out of shape, so I stopped making excuses and started making more time for me.
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I was sick of myself. I felt awful in my own skin and I realized if I didn't do something, I would be over 300 lbs in no time.
  • christinehetz80
    christinehetz80 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Woke up one morning and said "I need a change!"
    Simple as that. :)

Exactly! I didn't loathe myself, because I have rather healthy self esteem and big or small I like how I like for the most part, BUT I wasn't energetic, fit, and needed a change.
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I put on a size 14 and it was tight. It was instant. I'm obese and I'm done. Within 6 months I had dropped 40. I have lost a total of 52 and am LOVING IT!!!!!! So much easier to get dressed in the mornings now!
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    realizing that I was the same weight that I had been the day I gave birth to my daughter (and I gained a lot during pregancy). She was one at the time. She is now three and I am seven pounds away from my goal.
  • grannygethealthy1111
    Options
    Looking in the mirror and REALLY seeing myself for the first time in years.
  • Greg127
    Greg127 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The picture on the left is in June 2011 in Bermuda at my daughters wedding, The one on the right is from last week in a suit I hadn't worn in about 7 years.
    2011Decem262-2-1.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!