What sparked "I'm going to lose that weight!"

Options

Replies

• Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    After I had my third child almost 2 years ago I was at the lowest weight I'd been since I got married 7 years ago. It was great...I was fitting into jeans I had long packed away and knew I looked great. I've always been lucky that each pregnancy resulted in a smaller me at the end due to the better diet and no booze. Knowing this was my last baby I swore that I wouldn't gain it back. I was 155 then (I'm 5'11") and said at first if the scale hit 160 I'd start watching myself. Then I said 165. Then we went on vacation and suddenly I was just about 170 but not quite there yet so I made another allowance and said as long as I stayed under 170 I was fine. Then I kept eating poorly and drinking too many calories. I briefly tried WW but it was too complicated for me and I didn't stick with it and put on another 5 pounds after. Finally after a week of really horrible eating and drinking leading up to and through Thanksgiving and noticing even the pants I bought as my "fat" pants were getting snug I had it. I HS friend posted on FB that she was doing MFP and if anyone wanted to join her and I signed up. So far I'm down 3 pounds in about a week and loving it!
  • Animaniac87
    Options
    I saw a picture of myself that my cousin took at my 23rd birthday party, and I thought to myself "who is that fatty lumpkins?" and then I realized it was me I cried from embarrassment. I saw myself skinnier than I was (a lot skinnier). I had no idea that's how I looked to other people. For a while after that I became a shut in, avoided my friends, didn't see or talk to anyone. After about a year of that I realized that I'm just wasting my life. If I was too embarrassed to be seen by my friends and family there was only one thing I could do to change, LOSE WEIGHT. It's been a struggle, there's been ups and downs (waaaaay too many ups for my taste) but I hope I can keep this up all the way to my goal weight
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    I got an iPhone and it turns out there is an app for that. :wink:
  • quickfin
    quickfin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I got an iPhone and it turns out there is an app for that. :wink:

Me too!
  • 7memyselfandI
    Options
    My "a-ha" moment...when my friend said while walking together that our husbands were checking out some cute girls that walked by because "they were thinner than OUR fat a**es", that did it. I'm 5'10" and was 185 lbs when she said that. Now that I think about it, I'm down to 149 lbs and wear a size 4/6 jean (from a tight 12/14) and she has never once commented on my weight loss, or any of the healthy lifestyle changes I have since made. Interesting realization I am having as I type this....
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    About a month after I decided that I couldn't win this battle and I was just born to be fat. I saw pictures of me holding my 2 year-old son. I grew up fat and I was teased horrendously for my weight. I didn't want my son to go through what i went through, and where I was with my lifestyle, I felt he may be destined to follow my path.

I always had my own selfish reasons to be fit, but this was the final straw. At that moment is was loose this weight or bust. I wasn't going to fail.
  • latisha0507
    Options
    I relocated and have a new job where we can wear jeans on Friday's. Well I went to get some jeans out of the closet and realized that I couldn't fit any of them in there. I went shopping for the next size up and had a rude awakening that not only do I need a size up, I needed two sizes up and I refused to buy anything. I was depressed that evening and decided that I need to do something about it. Plus, I'm always sleepy. No matter how many hours of sleep I get, I'm still tired. So I started working out last week and I feel great. I actually lost my 2 lb weight goal this week. Yay!
  • thamre
    thamre Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I had several "a-ha" moments that finally pushed me to do something. 1st one was my doctor telling me that if I didn't start taking control, we would need to look into bypass surgery. 2nd was a customer asking me when I was due. 3rd was a really good friend of mine (male) asking me if I was pregnant. And 4th, looking at a picture from my youngest son's birthday party and thinking "What have I let myself become?!". That was the end of that and now 91 pounds later and about 20 more to go, I will never let myself go back "there" again. My confidence and self esteem is thru the roof. I finally LOVE me!
  • ♥Lexi♥
    Options
    bump!
  • stormchaser3
    stormchaser3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me it was the fact that I was feeling bad and couldn't bend over, my hands were swelling, worse of all I was having erectile dysfunction. Since losing 40 pounds life is great again!!
  • sooz1967
    Options
    just today I went home for a visit and took some pictures with the family and was horrified at how big i have gotten.
  • Princesslenox
    Princesslenox Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Well a few things happened for me to actually take losing weight seriously. I had a dream that i was crying to a freind and telling her that i hated what i looked like and i needed help. Then like three people commented on my weight: my hairdresser, my lawyer, and my spouse. I looked in the mirror and admitted to myself that i was unhappy with what i looked like, and i had to make a change not now but right now! So I did.
  • andforpoise
    Options
    Looking at pictures from when I lost 30lbs three years ago and hearing that my excessively overweight ex back home had lost a lot of weight... I felt like if I could do it once, then I can do it again and find some way to keep it off. And if he could do it, then I could do it! And I have... I'm almost at goal...and I'm keeping it off by training for a half marathon and also re-joining my ultimate frisbee team for another season! Keeping in shape over the winter is to ensure that I can play frisbee for the three seasons in 2012...because man, that game is intense! Especially if you're like me and you've never played sports before!
  • daisydog101
    daisydog101 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Walking into work one day and one of my colleagues exclaiming "you've put on weight"

Almost replied "wow, you've gotten old!"
  • hsk1019
    hsk1019 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I'm headed on a cruise. I knew I needed to drop some lbs to feel completely good about laying on that deck by the pool. SO GLAD I STARTED!!! Now I don't want to stop!
  • kimi131
    kimi131 Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I had purchased new jeans a few month prior because I was too big for my regular jeans. Then the "new" jeans were getting way too tight to be comfortable anymore. It was either lose the weight or buy new jeans. I went with the lose the weight.

Now the "regular" jeans are getting baggy :smile:
  • AandJsMommy
    Options
    Had some blood work done and the doctor told me I am borderline diabetic and I refuse to stick my fingers and take shots. I am scared of needles big time!! Also, I want to be a good example for my kids, I don't want them to know what it's like to be overweight. I have many of other reasons but these 2 are the main ones.
  • AmberLiscous
    AmberLiscous Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Christmas picture from last year!!! (Its in my profile pictures) saw this pic and cried.....can't wait to take a new pic this year to compare my progress!!!!!!
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    when the family photos came back last year.
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    one day I woke up and thought someone had shrunk all my clothes, also I was very easily short of breath
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!