what kind of accent do you have?

Options
nakabi
nakabi Posts: 589 Member
I get asked pretty much everyday, "where are you from?" (usually because people don't want to seem rude in asking what my accent is, or so I've been told by them). "Uganda" I reply. "Really?" cool", is their response. But I can see the look of puzzlement on their face. Yes, I don't look like your typcial Bugandan. "I'm biracial, hence the reason I'm lighter in colour than you would expect", is how I answer their confused look.
It amazes me how much people here in the US love accents, especially "foreign" ones. To me, I sound normal. lol...My husband has a nice American southern accent. He is from the south and has a drawl, or so I've been told. Drawl or not, I love it when he calls me "darling" (yes, honey, I know it's spelled darlin', according to you, but I just can't bring myself to write that haha).
I was asked by someone on MFP what my accent sounded like. I sound like a South African mixed with a Brit & Aussie.

I'm curious, do any of you have accents and if so, what kind?

Replies

• kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I have no clue.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    quite a british one, ''anyone for a spot of tea'' or ''mary poppings''
  • rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I have a southern accent, my husband says it gets more pronounced when we are going to visit my family. :laugh:
  • suthrnladey
    Options
    100% Southern!!! My husband is from Mexico...I've been told that my southern accent disappears when I speak Spanish :wink:
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Options
    I have a California grown white boy accent.
  • monih10
    monih10 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I'm from Mississippi....so I have a strong southern accent....have never been able to lose it....LOL!!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    East Texan, and I've never been able to fool anyone. When I travel, people rarely have to ask me where I'm from.
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Pacific Northwest...we have no accent what-so-ever. They say that's why there are a lot of call centers in this area...because we generally have no accent and tend to be easier to understand. Whether that's true or not...no clue!
  • Rob_Sarge
    Rob_Sarge Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    New Yawk here.....grew up on Lawn Eyeland....my wife is from TX and she thinks my accent is funny
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Mine's mostly neutral with some slight hints of Southern here and there but not much.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have a midwestern accent. I speak without an accent for the most part...but I get a bit of a drawl/twang, when I'm excited, tired, or drinking, lol. There are ways I pronounce certain words that are definitely different according to my college friends though.
  • traveye2
    Options
    Minnesotan-Might have to make a Hotdish tonight :)
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I went out a couple times with a Dubliner, and the first thing he said (after the usual "hello, how are you?") was:

"You sound VERY Californian."

Haha. I didn't realize Californians had their own accent (other than Valley Girl, of which I have a very slight tinge. :laugh:) I would've expected him to say I sounded very American!
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Pacific Northwest...we have no accent what-so-ever. They say that's why there are a lot of call centers in this area...because we generally have no accent and tend to be easier to understand. Whether that's true or not...no clue!

that is very interesting. I'd love to sit down and have a chat to listen to you :) lol
  • robyng1986
    robyng1986 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i'm from Trinidad so i have a trini accent! yay lol.... apparently people find trinis have a 'sing song' way of speaking. i don't get it :noway: :laugh:
  • bill_i_am
    bill_i_am Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I live in the midwest now, so I have to tone it down...but once I'm back home the Boston accent comes right back...paaaaahk the caaaaaaaaah :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Everyone has an accent but me.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Little bit of Canadian, eh? LOL... we don't actually say that as much as the stereotype. :explode: It's mostly used in questions, like someone from the USA would say "huh?" That's all. Oh, except one thing...

As once SO FAMOUSLY stated in a Molson Canadian Beer Commercial..... :bigsmile:

"I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice. I have a prime minister, not a president. I speak English and French, not "American". And I pronounce it about, not aboot. I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing. Diversity, not assimilation. And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed. Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America. My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!" :tongue:
  • Schmarrn
    Options
    i have a brazilian accent =D idk how to describe my way of speaking here... sorry but people around me say it sounds "musical" whatever that means lol
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I have a Southern accent, but I only realised it when I moved to California. When I lived in Georgia, I just sounded like everyone else.