what kind of accent do you have?

Options

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    It depends on where I'm at. If I'm at home, I have no accent. People in the PNW say I have a midwestern accent with a touch of hillbilly southern attitude. People from the SW agree. People from the plain 'ole south try and convince me I speak like a northerner. If I'm in the NE it doesn't matter what they say my accent is 'cuz I usually can't understand them. :wink:

So, I guess I'm a mutt since I'm from Indiana.
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    mine is all mixed togather with these... estonian,ukrainian and russian
  • Football_N_Guns
    Football_N_Guns Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    American.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Little bit of Canadian, eh? LOL... we don't actually say that as much as the stereotype. :explode: It's mostly used in questions, like someone from the USA would say "huh?" That's all. Oh, except one thing...

As once SO FAMOUSLY stated in a Molson Canadian Beer Commercial..... :bigsmile:

"I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice. I have a prime minister, not a president. I speak English and French, not "American". And I pronounce it about, not aboot. I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing. Diversity, not assimilation. And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed. Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America. My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!" :tongue:

LOVE IT!
    I agree with how the letter "Z' is pronouced! hahahah...None of this "zee" thing...
    it amazes me that there are people who dont' even know their national anthem!
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I live in the midwest now, so I have to tone it down...but once I'm back home the Boston accent comes right back...paaaaahk the caaaaaaaaah :)

This - except I'm not in the midwest and it's not toned down although I'm not as bad as the boys from Southie or the Dot :)
  • rissuhbissuh
    Options
    Wisconsin accent with a bit of Californian thrown in there :)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I proudly sport a Texas accent.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Born & raised in California & my college drama teacher, who could pick out what part of the country, or even region of any state people were from by their speech, couldn't pinpoint anything on me. So I guess I don't have any distinguishable accent. :tongue:
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    fairly standard american newscaster-ese.
  • kkzmom11
    kkzmom11 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    some people say that i have a New York accent, even though i have never lived there. My parents were born and raised there and i have visited relatives there many times over the years, but i guess i pick it up through conversations with my family. LOL
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I'm from the Pacific Northwest...we have no accent what-so-ever. They say that's why there are a lot of call centers in this area...because we generally have no accent and tend to be easier to understand. Whether that's true or not...no clue!

Everybody has an accent. Yours would be considered a "standard American" accent.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Southern!! Deep South! To the point that my husband will not even let me leave a greeting on the answering machine. Too me, I sound fine.

Bless his heart!
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Siggy says I now have a slight southern accent. I don't think I do. My kids who have lived in the south most of their lives do have an accent. "You all sound like little hilljacks" lol
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    West Coast US with hints of southern British Columbia and Carolina drawl.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    I want to say that i have a lighter Southern accent---it isn't a drawl or anything like that.. but people can definitely tell over the phone.
    When I visit stores here (still in the South), people have questioned me about my accent. In my opinion, I sound like a normal Southerner.. but apparently I speak faster than usual at times.. thus people often ask if I am from the NYC area. Mayhaps I picked it up from myne mom--an actual, factual New Yorker.
  • thor1god1of1awesome
    Options
    midwest with a touch of hillbilly
  • TheCats_Meow
    TheCats_Meow Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm from South Louisiana so I have that deep Southern drawl with a bit of cajun mixed in for good measure.

It gets more pronounced when I go back home (currently live in Georgia) or talk to my family on the phone. I pick up on their accent and thicken mine.

I get picked on A LOT at work because I can't say listen; I say "lis-sen" :laugh:
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    BOSTON!
  • brit49
    brit49 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    quite a british one, ''anyone for a spot of tea'' or ''mary poppings''

Me too !!! or crumpets
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Although I've spent 30 years trying to fight it, some people can still tell I'm a Coalcracker from Pennsylvania.