what kind of accent do you have?

Replies

• I'm from the Pacific Northwest...we have no accent what-so-ever. They say that's why there are a lot of call centers in this area...because we generally have no accent and tend to be easier to understand. Whether that's true or not...no clue!

Come to the south for a vacation. We will let you know that you do have an accent!! If you don't use words like ya'll, or if you don't talk slow enough, you have an accent!

We have call centers here, too. My southern accent helped me collect on many bad checks...men love to hear me talk :wink:
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Canadian with Low German thrown in when I'm around my family. So not exotic. Sounds more like my home town collectively got hit with a stupid stick.
  • dalgal26
    dalgal26 Posts: 781 Member
    I'm from South Louisiana so I have that deep Southern drawl with a bit of cajun mixed in for good measure.

It gets more pronounced when I go back home (currently live in Georgia) or talk to my family on the phone. I pick up on their accent and thicken mine.

I get picked on A LOT at work because I can't say listen; I say "lis-sen" :laugh:

I understand! We 'make groceries', too. Just consider it lagniappe!!!!
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    New York me :glasses:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,357 Member
    I'm 100% Texan so a Texan accent, and no not the foney texan accent that Hollywood portrays..
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    North Island NZ...PLease do not confuse with South Island NZ OR especialy Australia cause we sound NOTHING alike LOL Im sure alot of Aussies would agree! I did live there for about 4 years so picked it up, but well lost now. So it kinda sounds like "fush and chups" instead of "fish and chips" LOL :blushing: :bigsmile:
  • annemckee
    annemckee Posts: 170 Member
    West of Scotland, probably a bit modified after almost 30 years of living in the Shetland Islands
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Minnesota, but NOT like the movie Fargo!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    When I was little I had a New York accent since I grew up in Queens til I was 7. Now I think I'm pretty generically American-sounding with a hint of the New York accent left, especially if I get riled up! lol
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    I'm from the Pacific Northwest...we have no accent what-so-ever. They say that's why there are a lot of call centers in this area...because we generally have no accent and tend to be easier to understand. Whether that's true or not...no clue!

Yep, this is also why every newscaster in America sounds like us.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Minnesotan-Might have to make a Hotdish tonight :)

ME TOO, You Betcha!!!
  • GuruOnAMountain
    GuruOnAMountain Posts: 489 Member
    Glaswegian. :( More's the pity.
  • 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203

ME TOO, You Betcha!!!

Ha! Is it terrible that I think Minnesotan is one of the funniest accents ever?
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member

ME TOO, You Betcha!!!

Ha! Is it terrible that I think Minnesotan is one of the funniest accents ever?

We are pretty fun, doncha know? :laugh:
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Minnesotan.

For those who say they have no accent -- EVERYONE speaks with an accent. It just so happens that your pronunciation closely resembles the pronunciation prized by national media outlets, etc.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,079 Member
    I get asked pretty much everyday, "where are you from?" (usually because people don't want to seem rude in asking what my accent is, or so I've been told by them). "Uganda" I reply. "Really?" cool", is their response. But I can see the look of puzzlement on their face. Yes, I don't look like your typcial Bugandan. "I'm biracial, hence the reason I'm lighter in colour than you would expect", is how I answer their confused look.
    It amazes me how much people here in the US love accents, especially "foreign" ones. To me, I sound normal. lol...My husband has a nice American southern accent. He is from the south and has a drawl, or so I've been told. Drawl or not, I love it when he calls me "darling" (yes, honey, I know it's spelled darlin', according to you, but I just can't bring myself to write that haha).
    I was asked by someone on MFP what my accent sounded like. I sound like a South African mixed with a Brit & Aussie.

I'm curious, do any of you have accents and if so, what kind?
    southern :P and yes it is darlin not darling lol
  • cppeace
    cppeace Posts: 764 Member
    ok, I grew up in a household with a Californian and a cajun in west texas and north louisiana. I can sound just like a cajun, be almost accentless and sound slightly redneck depending on my mood and who I'm with. I tend to pick up who ever I'm with's accent to a degree- always have. Can be funny as all getout.
    Kimmy
  • schnugglebug
    schnugglebug Posts: 330 Member
    Little bit of Canadian, eh? LOL... we don't actually say that as much as the stereotype. :explode: It's mostly used in questions, like someone from the USA would say "huh?" That's all. Oh, except one thing...

As once SO FAMOUSLY stated in a Molson Canadian Beer Commercial..... :bigsmile:

"I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice. I have a prime minister, not a president. I speak English and French, not "American". And I pronounce it about, not aboot. I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing. Diversity, not assimilation. And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed. Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America. My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!" :tongue:

LOL Canadian here too... from Quebec, I do not have a french accent though most people automatically assume I do when they see my name since it is French... My fiance is however french and has the most adorable accent when he speaks English :D lol,... especially when he screws up his words ! lol

As the popular QUEBEC version goes (I am NOT a CANADIAN) lol (which I am, lol I am not a separatist or problem maker I just think this is funny as heck!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncdhLGjFTE

I'm not unemployed or smuggling cigarettes across the border
    I don't eat Pepsi and May West for breakfast (*)
    I don't watch da hockey game doing it doggie-style
    And no, I don't know Claude, Manon, or François in Abitibi-Témiscamingue (*)
    But I'm sure they all have nice teeth

I speak Québecois in joual, not French or English
    I pronounce it "tird", not third
    And eating French fries with cheese makes sense, mon ostie,
    I believe in a distinct society, as long as someone else pays for it
    I believe in language-police, not equal rights

In Québec, the Stanley Cup actually comes around more often than
    Halley's comet
    I can get beer at the dépanneur, not the convenience store
    And maybe I can't turn right on a red light
    But tabarnak, I can go right through it
    Because Québec is the world's largest producer of maple syrup
    The home of Céline Dion and Roch Voisine
    The land where everybody is shacking up and the legal drinking age is
    just a suggestion
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    Little bit of Canadian, eh? LOL... we don't actually say that as much as the stereotype. :explode: It's mostly used in questions, like someone from the USA would say "huh?" That's all. Oh, except one thing...

As once SO FAMOUSLY stated in a Molson Canadian Beer Commercial..... :bigsmile:

"I'm not a lumberjack or a fur trader. I don't live in an igloo or eat blubber or own a dog sled. And I don't know Jimmy, Sally or Suzy from Canada, although I'm certain they're really, really nice. I have a prime minister, not a president. I speak English and French, not "American". And I pronounce it about, not aboot. I can proudly sew my country's flag on my backpack. I believe in peacekeeping, not policing. Diversity, not assimilation. And that the beaver is a truly proud and noble animal. A toque is a hat, a chesterfield is a couch. And it is pronounced zed, not zee, zed. Canada is the second largest landmass, the first nation of hockey and the best part of North America. My name is Joe, and I am Canadian!" :tongue:

LOL Canadian here too... from Quebec, I do not have a french accent though most people automatically assume I do when they see my name since it is French... My fiance is however french and has the most adorable accent when he speaks English :D lol,... especially when he screws up his words ! lol

As the popular QUEBEC version goes (I am NOT a CANADIAN) lol (which I am, lol I am not a separatist or problem maker I just think this is funny as heck!)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncdhLGjFTE

I'm not unemployed or smuggling cigarettes across the border
    I don't eat Pepsi and May West for breakfast (*)
    I don't watch da hockey game doing it doggie-style
    And no, I don't know Claude, Manon, or François in Abitibi-Témiscamingue (*)
    But I'm sure they all have nice teeth

I speak Québecois in joual, not French or English
    I pronounce it "tird", not third
    And eating French fries with cheese makes sense, mon ostie,
    I believe in a distinct society, as long as someone else pays for it
    I believe in language-police, not equal rights

In Québec, the Stanley Cup actually comes around more often than
    Halley's comet
    I can get beer at the dépanneur, not the convenience store
    And maybe I can't turn right on a red light
    But tabarnak, I can go right through it
    Because Québec is the world's largest producer of maple syrup
    The home of Céline Dion and Roch Voisine
    The land where everybody is shacking up and the legal drinking age is
    just a suggestion

I am in the reverse situation, bf is english and I am french, he doesn't have any accent in both languages but I do mess up words in english all the time to his benefit, he can laugh *with* me.

2 things about that text: 1- eating fries with gravy and cheese makes a lot of sense and 2- please don't associate us with Céline Dion and Roch Voisine (i'm on his black list anyway for telling him off) :)

My accent is french quebecer, my english sounds funny sometimes :)
  • Midwest. We dont have accents. Everyone else does.