Do you ever get tired of food??

Options

Replies

• SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    It's the nature of human beings to want to put out positive things, but hold back negative. I've definitely seen some people on here vent about frustrations with eating. I assume none of us would be in the situation where we need to lose OR gain weight if we didn't go through what you're going through. I started last month with an all or nothing attitude about this, knowing that I wanted to use the site to work through the need to have things be all or nothing (the thing that usually halts and reverses progress for me.)

I hope that I'm on the right track because I've begun introducing foods that generally would cause some sort of a binge. I'm also flirting with the idea of doing a binge day once a month or so in order to do that "body shock" thing, but want to make sure it's not just because my mind is giving me excuses not to stick to my health. I looked in my fridge yesterday and thought to myself "I'm tired of all this food, I want something different." Like a steak sub. :)
    So I sat with that for a little while then ate wheat thins, some reduced fat weight watcher jalapeno cheese (really good actually) and a fiber one brownie for breakfast. That made that go away mostly and I stuck to under 250 calories. (Though I'm sick of salt in foods and want to punch it in it's face... not sure how I'd do that with salt but nonetheless...)

There's a whole lot of emotions around this for me, ranging from joy that somethings working, to scared that I'm going to mess it up, to scared/terrified that I'm going to succeed. Those can all come on in a 5 minute period and I feel a little crazy. Though I'm assuming if we look at food as a comfort we've had (those who need to lose) then we can also consider that losing that comfort will make us go through a grieving process of some kind. Similar to people who are in unhealthy relationships with someone and need to get out, but it takes multiple attempts before it actually works.

It will work, use us as support and find different nutrient dense foods that satisfy you and also don't add to the calorie deficit you're maintaining. That's one of the fun things about this, adding foods that maybe some would consider bad for you, but limiting other things so that it balances out.

Regardless, you're not alone. I'll be thinking about you and pulling for you to find what helps you best. *Which let's be honest, I'm pulling for myself as well. Who's selfish? This guy. ;)*
  • hjohns65
    hjohns65 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you to the capital I!!!! I'm glad you wrote this, because whether you know it or not sometimes you or people can write things like this that other people or someone else is feeling as well and didn't know how to materialize the feelings and thoughts and than BAM! something is there describing how they feel! you are absolutely not alone, know that!!!!!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I saw a special on the Discovery channel last night about "Sun Gazing" might be what your looking for.... These folks seem to think staring at the sun takes away their desire for food as are bodies don't need it. LOL

Sure wish that was true..... lol

They don't really look at the sun do they? Doesn't that damage your eyes?
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I think about food as much as men think about sex. I think about... I don't act on it.
  • dreamshadows
    dreamshadows Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I go through phases where I get tired of eating. I'll skip meals for 2 or three days in a row, then binge on a pizza or two! :grumble: not too good.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I love food but When I read your post I realized you are tired of always thinking about it. What can I and can't I have. I am so freekin tired of doing that too. I could almost vomit. I'm so feelin ya. Its like we are twins.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I NEVER get tired of it.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering if you could benefit from increasing your caloric intake by 2-300 calories per day. That actually helps some people lose.

Also, if you like apples, try eating one at least twice a day. Maybe as a snack with a tablespoon of peanut butter, or with breakfast or lunch or whichever meal has the longest break with the most activity before the next one. Apples are very filling and they naturally suppress appetite for some...
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    All the time. Right now I'm not hungry, ever. I do force myself to eat as I know I have to eat. I've just been eating much less than I used to. I start eating and after eating about 1/2 of my small meal, I can't eat anymore. No I'm not anorexic or anything like that, I'm just going through a not hungry phase at the moment. Nothing sounds good, I get no cravings (except for that baked potato that I just had to have last night).
  • ummlovelovesyou
    ummlovelovesyou Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone on this website ever get tired of food???? lol

I LOVE FOOD!

nom nom nom :happy:
  • GreenLifeGirl
    GreenLifeGirl Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? What percentage of your calories are coming from veggies/lean protein/complex carbs? Even when you stay in your calorie goal- is much of it coming from simple carbs and sugar (cereal, bread, etc). Day to day it makes a HUGE difference for me if I am getting enough veggies and lean protein, as a matter of fact, if I eat heavy on carbs- the more I eat, the more hungry I feel!

Perhaps if you open your food diary then we can give you more specific tips to help. = )
  • strawberryGg
    Options
    Wow, I feel almost the same way. Trying to figure out this food things is VERY frustrating. I don't know what to do sometimes. When I am feeling so hungry til it's almost til I can't bare it, I give in to my body and recover the next day.
  • fromaquasar
    fromaquasar Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I get what you mean. I sometimes feel like there is so much energy put into thinking about what to eat, shopping for it, preparing it, cooking it, eating it cleaning up after it, and then a couple of hours later you have to go all again! I often used to say if I could eat once a day and stay full I would be much happier with less time and energy invested in eating. That said now I am doing IF it's much more like that !
  • lefleri
    lefleri Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it does get tiring of looking up calories and logging what I eat, but honestly it's been the best way for me to keep up my progress. My girlfriend gets sick of me whipping out my iPhone every time we eat LOL

However, my appetite is through the roof! I can't get enough food. Honestly, my body craves food all the time, and if I don't eat every 2-3 hours, I seriously just shut-down :( it's the saddest and most pathetic thing to watch.
  • ConkreteChic
    ConkreteChic Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For me, eating well has never been about dieting, it's been about lifestyle change. That is to say, if I'm not going to eat that way for the rest of my life, I'm not going to eat that way while I try to lose weight. I don't cut things out of my diet that I like because they're "bad for you" or they "ruin diets," I just find healthier versions or I eat them sparingly. I cook a lot of my own "unhealthy" foods these days. I make pizza, baked french fries, burgers, pasta, etc, but I try to lighten them up. I never feel restricted or like something is off limits, and that makes me a happy camper.

I started MFP with the above in mind...if I'm not going to cut it out of my life forever, it's not getting cut out at all. My weight loss seems to be going a lot slower than many people's on MFP, but this is the first time I've felt like I could do this for the rest of my life and not be a pissed off *B* for most of it. :)

That said - sometimes it really drives me nuts to have to log everything I eat all day every day. It takes time and it's frustrating and it doesn't seem like any of my friends need to do this to lose weight. And I hear you about the water! So sick of hearing about how water fills you up! Vague nausea and sloshiness are what I get, too.

Maybe one day a month you should just forget about logging, forget about over thinking it. Maybe I should, too! :)
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I actually dislike food 95% of the time...because of what I allowed it to do my body and life..and how it's on your taste buds for a minute... but your body for years. I see food mainly as fuel now...but sometimes struggle of course when I'm craving something evil....it's just SUCH a pain. grrr.
  • JediMaster_intraining
    Options
    Sometimes I get tired of trying to find what's good and healthy to eat but I can't last a day without food. It's too damn delicious!
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I effing love food.

me too! love reading about food, looking at pictures of food, planning meals for my family, shopping for food, making food and eating food....ok....i hate putting groceries away
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I've been on this journey for about 3 years now. I started at 385, got to about 235 in less than a year, (I'll explain that at the end) I gained to about 250 and plateaued there for about a year, then due to a medicine I was prescribed I gained 30 more pounds.. I have ALWAYS had food issues.. I love food but i'm very picky, I grew up on fried chicken, mashed potatoes with heavy cream and real butter.. I ate with no rhyme or reason, most days I only ate one meal a day but it was easily a 2000 calorie meal or more if you add I probably had a couple cookies or a candy bar thrown in. But by no meals a "normal" 3 meal a day, let alone 5!! I get sick of eating when I try to do that...

Then they told me I was diabetic.. BOOM.. I'm deathly afraid of needles.. so much so that I stopped eating fast food, white bread, drinking soda, all candy cold turkey and started going to the gym easily 5-6 days a week sometimes 5-6 hours a day, I would leave 1, 2 hour workout with a weight lifting trainer only to go to another gym after and do boxing or calethenics,, then walk almost every day.. I had a foot surgery, knee surgery and torn rotator cuff and STILL went to the gym to work out.. I got totally bulky but meanwhile I became so frustrated with food, most days i was getting in less than 1000 calories.. I was never a fruit and vegie fan, so while I cut out everything I loved, I struggled to find things I liked. I knew it was bad when I couldn't eat a whole sandwhich consisting of 3 slices turkey and 2 slices light bread.. I was on my way to starvation... I KNOW how to eat and what to eat, it just isn't satisfying, there's a comfort attached to food for me. Not necessarily from stress, my throat closes and I can't eat when stressed.. but i LIKE fattening foods.. I just feel full and good... for instance, I could eat 6 subway cookies to replace a meal.. but 6 cookies is 1300 calories.. who the hell eats 1 cookie!! Thats like one potatoe chip!! This whole moderation thing doesn't work if what your craving is rediculously fattening.. 1 tablespoon of peanut butter like 100 calories.. really?? I probably inhale that amount through my nose when I open the jar!! I'm just not a 'twiggy food lover" I think the reality is some people never will be and will always struggle because of it..

I do sometimes add in my comfort foods to "fit" what I want.. I had to close my diary lol.. although I'm within my calorie range I know the food police wouldn't approve of my 7 days a week dinner of pizza and watermelon.. It's just the tedium of trying to figure out.. ok if I eat this for breakfast, can I eat this for dinner.. or having no apetite and trying to figure out what to eat.. or having a day where your starving and having to feel guilty because you've exhausted your calories and you want to pick stuff thats low so you don't go too overboard.. I'm tired of THINKING about food is I guess what it is. Wanting a bowl of golden grahams cereal.. and know its not within your allotment.. again.. who the hell eats 1 cup of cereal?? I'm at a 2 cup minimum from the door!! LOL

I need an Oprahs money and a majic chef!! So I don't have to think.. just say what it is I feel like and someone else makes it happen.. or I need all the really skinny people to become fat so thats the norm and everyone else will leave us alone LOL!! or or maybe they can just sell flavored fat-sicles or maybe willy wonka can really create a godstopper that tastes like whatever we dream it does.. ok i think i've gone off the deep end LOL :laugh: I'm going to back slowly away now!!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    wholy bat post batman!! ^^^^ I had a lot to get out huh!!