I love Tae Bo but...

Options
124»

Replies

• AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I have to thoroughly concur. If you do not have a heart rate monitor I'm here to tell you, as I do have one, that the calorie burn listed on MyFitnessPal is WAY off the mark for Tae Bo. If I use MyFitnessPal calorie burn for a 32 min video they say I burn 828 calories. According to my HRM/Calorie Burn it says I only burn about 360-380. If you factor that into the daily allowance of what is listed in MyFitnessPal's for your calories you would end up over eating everyday by I would say almost 400-500 calories. May not seem like much but if your trying to lose weight I would say whatever MyFitnessPal lists for the calorie burn on Tae Bo cut it in 1/2 then subtract maybe 50 more calories just to be safe.

Best wishes.

Everyone will not get the same reading.

Yeah...I only get 326 or something for a 32 minute workout. I get 500 and some for a 40-45 minute workout according to MFP.

MFP only guesses what a person should be burning. I don't log my workouts on here. I don't even own a HRM, I might get one next year. Everyone's body is different and they will burn different calories, doing the same workout. I'm sure Billy doesn't only burn 300 calories doing Tae Bo. I doubt that his daughter Shellie only burns 300 calories doing Tae Bo.

I'm going to quote what the experts said about HRM monitors. Website: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
    A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.
  • FellowStriver
    Options
    I own over 200 workouts and no matter what workout I do, nothing compares to Tae Bo. I can let workouts sit for a long period of time, but I can't do that with Tae Bo.

I KNOW!! I love Tae Bo!!

I lost all my pregnancy weight in 4 months doing Tae Bo and I still think it's the best workout around! It really burns through fat!

Yes it does MrsCon40. Do you own PT 24/7? I've started the program last night. I can't wait to do day 2.

No. I am embarassed to say that I still use my VHS tapes that I got in 1999 :blushing: I keep a VCR just so I can do Tae Bo.

Oh my goodness - so do I! They are the best for me.
  • FellowStriver
    Options
    Maybe you should pat yourself on the back - you're probably in better shape than ever. I am 42 and think about hard excercise differently. I need to be in it for the long run. I am wondering if you are the kind of person who pushes herself too hard?
    Are you still losing?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    NinerBuff, this makes me want to take one of your classes!! I love the kickboxing class at my gym :)
    I make it fun and hard! Also, I make it easier for newbies or for those who are more challenged by modifying movements. Like when we do standing jump kicks (think of the "crane" movement from the Karate Kid) I modify it to a front kick/back kick for those you can't jump up.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options
    I'm going to quote what the experts said about HRM monitors. Website: http://www.sparkpeople.com/community/ask_the_experts.asp?q=75
    A HRM won't give you an accurate idea of how many calories you burn during strength training, because the relationship between heart rate and calorie expenditure is not the same during strength training as during cardio exercise, which is what the HRM's estimate is based on. Unless your weight training is very vigorous circuit training, the heart rate monitor will be overestimating your calorie burn by a fair amount.
    While there's a couple of strength movements in Tae Bo, it's mostly a cardio workout. So an HRM would be pretty accurate if the settings for the individual are correct. In an hour of Kickboxing, I burn about 800 calories. Sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition