Poop Poop Poop!!!

Options
I'm sure this get's brought up all the time but plan and simple I can not poop. It's going on almost 20 days with only 1 small BM. I eat 25 grams of fiber and all that goes is give me terrible gas. I know I do not eat enough veggies. I had my gallbladder out a year ago and this has been an issue every since. I thought without a gallbladder it was supposed to be the opposite. I hate to rely on laxatives but I am starting to feel huge and heavy and already sickish in the AMs. Any easy/fast remedies? TIA!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I eat 25 grams of fiber and all that goes is give me terrible gas.

Nice burn!
  • amarneu
    amarneu Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water?
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you've had 1 BM in the last 20 days I'd say it's time to see a doctor. That's definitely not normal!!! How much water do you drink?
  • terrigrace
    terrigrace Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    When I got pregnant, I cut out all caffeine. And ended up with your same problem. Did you drink coffee before and suddenly stop? Other ideas: are you eating some form of healthy oil during the day, like in a salad dressing? WW always recommended 2 tsp of a healthy oil at some point during the day. Nuts and seeds are good oil producers too. Helps things slide along. How is your water intake? Make sure your are getting enough water to help all the fiber get through. Colace (docusate sodium) is a stool softener that generally doesn't cause bowel dependency. Talk to your doctor or pharmacist about adding it if nothing else seems to work. Used it while I was pregnant. It works by encouraging your body to hold on to water in your bowels. Again, making it easier for things to move. Hope this helps!
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    apple juice. bananas. lots of water.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    colonic irrigation?
  • skingszoo
    skingszoo Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking lots of water?
    I drink atleat 8 glasses a day.
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I would call your doctor, that's not healthy at all. I have colitis and I know how the constipation side of it feels horrible. I would try some miralax and see if it helps but it can take up to 3 days to work. Is there a possibility that you are eating too much fiber? Someone else already said it but drink tons of water to help that fiber do it's job as well.
  • adjones5
    adjones5 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    After I had my gall bladder out I had to take a supplement called "cholical" for a while for my digestive track to regulate itself. If I were go I would go to a dr. and talk to him/her about something like that.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    geeze, I thought the world was coming to an end for me after four days! See a doctor!!!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Vegetable glycerin. You can get it at cvs/walgreens.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    colonic irrigation?

Seriously. Sterilize a squirt bottle, fill it with warm, distilled or previously boiled water, and help yourself out.
    Also, are you on any painkillers? They can cause serious constipation. Or try what I had to do for my baby, dip a q-tip in some vaseline and swirl it just inside the *kitten*. Sounds weird, but we were told that sometimes all it needs is a little reminder to do stuff, and it will start working again. We have had to deal with a constipated baby off and on for 14 months. This is a tested method. :-)
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    geeze, I thought the world was coming to an end for me after four days! See a doctor!!!
    this! i am bloated if i dont go every day or more times in a day!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I looked at your diary and you are set at 1200 cals. This is absolutely personal experience, so take it as such:

Low fat is not necessarily your friend
    I can't believe I'm about to post this on the forums, but **** it... when I was at 1200 cals, I had some problems. Ate more, no problems.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I can go days and get a very tender abdomen. I went to the doctor once and they did a scan and he said my large colon was extra large. They encouraged me to get extra fiber and water to move things along. It is uhealthy to stay in the body for that length of time. Run to the doctor!
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to be funny, but I'm getting that LOL feeling as I read this thread.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    oh honey, I feel your pain! happens to the best of us....Do call your Dr. maybe that is a weird thing you can find out more about with a call to the nurse! (I know nothing about the gall bladder issue :-(

I know that cutting back on dietary fat was bad for me, i need at least 45 grams of healthy (olive oil) fat a day

Colace is a good product for general use, it helps the bowel hang on to water. So is Miralax. So is Mineral Oil that is sold over the counter in the pharmacy.

Metamucil (psyillium) is also a better fiber than some fruits and veggies...easy to pass.

Everyone has different foods and drinks that make them "go", don't be frustrated is theirs doesn't work for you.....prunes just constipate me but everyone else will swear by them!

Whatever...you need to get cleaned out soon so you can relax....call the DR. and explore lots of fats!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    you got to increase your fruits & veggies! you can try figs & prunes. Probiotics help -so yogurt!
    constipation could be a sign of a magnesium deficiency.
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    MiraLax and a doctor, stat! i once didn't poop for 17 days and thought i was going to die. mine was because i started a new medicine.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    Options
    Benefiber mixed in some prune juice.

I have issues too. :)