5'0 tall weight loss goals and starting points?

Options
1235»

Replies

• sapphireswi
    sapphireswi Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'0" on good days 5'1/2"
    SW : 141
    CW : 114
    GW :105 or so !!!

I stick to 1200-1300 calories a day and burn 300-400calories by bicycling/kickboxing/circuit training . . . MFP has really helped me. . . being short I realize I cant eat like others. . . and I never realized how much junk I would just gobble up!
  • DropOfSweat
    Options
    I'm about 5ft. I say about because I'm actually under, but not 4'11". XD

When I first started, I walked at 2mph and ran at 4mph. Right now, I walk at 3.5mph and 4.8 without wearing myself out. After I made it a normal routine, I added in strength training with my bodybuilder husband, but he's got it stuck in his head that I wanna be a bodybuilder(which I don't). My only fear is I'll get bulky where I wanna get toned.

My goals are to be able to run faster one day, but for now, I just wanna lose the weight and fat.

With food it's portion control... and I have a sweet/salty treat a day, of course in portion too.

Don't forget to take a break. It's good for you even if it's only two-three days every few weeks.
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I liked the comment someone made about how doctors & BMI calculators don't take your frame into account. As I said, I'm 5'1". My mom is 5'3", but she has a MUCH more slender frame than I have. I am built like my dad -- broad shoulders, wide rib cage. Clothes that my mom wore in college when she weighed 110 lbs. were too small for me when I was a tween/teen weighing 95 lbs. & 2" shorter. Her frame is just so much smaller than mine! My mom is now at her "heaviest" at 120 lbs. She should really weigh about 110 lbs. But if I weighed 110, I'd be anorexic! I just NEED to weigh more, because my frame is bigger/heavier. There really is such a thing as "big boned!"
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Workouts: I do BootCamp 3 days/week. My trainer alternates between cardio days & weight days. Yesterday, we did a tabata day. She's really good about mixing it up.

I HATE running, but lately, I've been running on days when I miss BootCamp & on weekends. I also play a lot of tennis. My trainer says tennis is an activity, not exercise, but it depends on how you play it. If you play like Venus & Serena, it's exercise. If, like me, you play slowly & have a cocktail afterwards (or during!), it's an activity.

I have done tai chi in the past, but I haven't done it in a while. I've never gotten into yoga or pilates. Just not my thing.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I liked the comment someone made about how doctors & BMI calculators don't take your frame into account. As I said, I'm 5'1". My mom is 5'3", but she has a MUCH more slender frame than I have. I am built like my dad -- broad shoulders, wide rib cage. Clothes that my mom wore in college when she weighed 110 lbs. were too small for me when I was a tween/teen weighing 95 lbs. & 2" shorter. Her frame is just so much smaller than mine! My mom is now at her "heaviest" at 120 lbs. She should really weigh about 110 lbs. But if I weighed 110, I'd be anorexic! I just NEED to weigh more, because my frame is bigger/heavier. There really is such a thing as "big boned!"

Very true! I agree! I am small framed. We can't compare. We have our individual healthy place.
  • djshari
    djshari Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    I agree!! I am 5"2 and other than being overweight I am petite - I have small hands, small feet, etc. I certainly cannot use being big boned as an excuse! One christmas at work the boss bought me and my coworker bracelets - she is 5"6 and probably weight 10-20 lbs less than me but she is a prime example of "big boned" - the boss based the bracelet size on body size and my bracelet was so large it was falling off and my coworkers was so tight she couldn't clasp it.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    There really is such a thing as "big boned!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd_H7DT3yU7dpPMCLFl9PwZrWj0oDe1qmI6x7oLLldCA9ebhz9
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I am 5'0 tall and right now about 125 pounds. I started MFP at 143 and had lost a few pounds before that. It is losing the baby weight from #2 and then some. My goal is 115. I have set my calorie goal for 1610 and sometimes eat my exercise calories back and sometimes don't. During the week, I workout at night so usually stay close to the 1610.

My week looks like:
    M: rest
    T: gym-3-5 mile run and arms
    W: gym-3-5 mile run and legs
    Th; Some kind of cross training
    F: rest
    Sa: 6-8 mile run outdoors
    Su: anything goes... could be rest or a 6 mile run.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    There really is such a thing as "big boned!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSd_H7DT3yU7dpPMCLFl9PwZrWj0oDe1qmI6x7oLLldCA9ebhz9

I'm coming from the other side of this. I am small framed. And people misunderstand this photo above to think that all people have the same body, the same bone structure, the same bones, and that we would all look the same if we had untrained muscles. And that is actually incorrect. True, fat does not equal big bones and people use that as an excuse, but there is no small boned excuse. We really do have different sized frames. My feet are size 5.5. My rib cage measurement (under breasts) is 26 inches, my waist is 23, my hips 34. I weigh 100 pounds and I am perfectly healthy and not underweight. At nine months pregnant, with a 7.5 pound baby in my uterus I weighed 135, and after the birth and once my blood volume and fluid levels had returned to normal I weighed 115. This needs to be said, so people will stop comparing themselves to others or saying that small people are ugly or they feel sick to look at them, or accusing people that eat 2200 calories a day of under eating, etc.
  • Juliechilli
    Juliechilli Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I absolutely agree there is such big boned is such a thing. It's called Ectomorph, Mesomorph and Endomorph. I have never ever been an Ectomorph but my family is. They hover around 100 lbs and are 5'1. Um I have natural 36DD's have had a breast reduction after my kids were born and am currently 36D! I weighed 98 pounds when I was 12 :) never since.

Tinest for me would be 115. I got married at 120 and was teeny tiny. I'm also VERY muscular with a broad back. My mom is 100 pounds soaking wet and literally my wrist bone is double the size of hers.

Sorry, but 105 would simply never be a goal for me :ohwell:
  • The_Carrie
    The_Carrie Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    5'0" tall here....really glad to see others like on this site....yet I couldn't be more confused!

I would love to lose another 40lbs - currently down 20 (since January of 2012)

I see a personal trainer once a week and workout on my own 4 days a week. My trainer increased my calories to 1800 - which had me on a steady gain for about 2 months, so I dropped it back down to 1300-1500.

I really don't know what my caloric intake should me. I would love it if someone just told me a magic number that seemed to work. MFP tells me 1200, but all research tells me that's too little.

I'm anxious to see where this 1300-1500 caloric intake gets me.
  • littlebutcurvy
    Options
    great post
  • shortiie5115
    Options