Whats divorce got to do with it?

Options
13»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The stress and anger that came out of a bad/failing relationship is what fueled me to start lifting.

Never mind that lifting was a good way to avoid seeing her.

• rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Infidelity doesn't always end in divorce. Many people stay together and make it work. Sometimes the stress of making your marriage work after the other party is unfaithful can also contribute to weight loss. Been there done that. Still married 7 years later. Has it been easy? No, but I'm thinner and healthier than ever and we work on our marriage and rebuilding trust every.single.day. Still not at my goal weight but I know I will get there.

You rock Missy!!

DITTO!
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    Wow, can I relate to this topic. I was married to a minister for 18 years, but I was miserable the last 5 of those years. He had become very difficult to live with. We adopted our children during that period, and my hopes that the adoption would help were quickly dashed. I couldn't leave because of the pressures of ministry; it would destroy not only my marriage but his career as well. My kids had already been through numerous foster homes, and I didn't want to subject them to going through a divorce as well. Often I prayed that he would cheat on me or get hit by a bus.

I was finally given a reason to leave: My daughter informed that he had been sexually abusing her. He was picked up by the police and confessed to EVERYTHING. I filed for divorce immediately and moved to SC to be near my parents. Several months later, he got word of his trial date and hung himself in his parents' basement.

I started with MFP in September of this year, almost one year to the day from when my daughter told me what her dad was doing. He was never supportive of my efforts to lose weight while we were married; in fact, he'd deliberately sabotage me. He'd bring milkshakes, slushies, candy, etc., then get mad and not speak to me for three days if I didn't eat it. I usually ate it to keep the peace. I realize now that he was emotionally abusive (hindsight is 20/20!). It's taken me a little over a year to regain my confidence.

The only negative here is that he's not around for me to visit in prison so I can rub my weight loss in his face...

Sad situation. Hope your daughter/kids has recovered.
  • rileamoyer
    Options
    I met my current husband while in the process of divorce. I was down to 128 lbs from stress. He stuck it out, and stayed with me even as I ballooned to top weight of 216 over many years. Now he is thrilled to see me in the 130s and HEALTHY. BTW, first husband was a serial cheater, who put me through all kinds of h%%l. He ended up married 3 more times since me (I was number 2). This last one seemed to stick, I will never figure out why unless they are both happy with that type of life. Such is life.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Wow -- not divorced, but wanted to congratulate and continue to encourage everybody!
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My divorce took two years. It was acrimonious as heck. By the end I was my skinniest ever due to the stress. Not healthy. Life is good now and I got fat and happy. Now working on fit and happy

While my high stress situation was not caused divorce, the same thing happened to me. I lost 25 lbs in 2 months. When the stress left, the weight returned. I too am working on FIT and happy :)
  • harley_rose
    Options
    I'm sorry you are going through that. Heart-ache sucks. The only time I lost weigh without trying was when my boyfriend, who I was completely in love with, dumped me out of the blue. 10 pounds in a week. Hang in there. It gets better.

My advise, find a guy with a motor cycle and have him take you far a ride. I know it sounds random but its exhilarating and a temporary distraction.

Keep busy..............

Great advice, I get on my bike to not have to think about anything negative in my life
  • LeelaLosing
    LeelaLosing Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What courage you have! It sickens me when I hear of mothers not supporting their daughters in similar situations and you protected your family and are moving on despite such a horrible situation and bettering your life and being there for them....i hope you all have a healing and happy Christmas :-) xo
    Wow, can I relate to this topic. I was married to a minister for 18 years, but I was miserable the last 5 of those years. He had become very difficult to live with. We adopted our children during that period, and my hopes that the adoption would help were quickly dashed. I couldn't leave because of the pressures of ministry; it would destroy not only my marriage but his career as well. My kids had already been through numerous foster homes, and I didn't want to subject them to going through a divorce as well. Often I prayed that he would cheat on me or get hit by a bus.

I was finally given a reason to leave: My daughter informed that he had been sexually abusing her. He was picked up by the police and confessed to EVERYTHING. I filed for divorce immediately and moved to SC to be near my parents. Several months later, he got word of his trial date and hung himself in his parents' basement.

I started with MFP in September of this year, almost one year to the day from when my daughter told me what her dad was doing. He was never supportive of my efforts to lose weight while we were married; in fact, he'd deliberately sabotage me. He'd bring milkshakes, slushies, candy, etc., then get mad and not speak to me for three days if I didn't eat it. I usually ate it to keep the peace. I realize now that he was emotionally abusive (hindsight is 20/20!). It's taken me a little over a year to regain my confidence.

The only negative here is that he's not around for me to visit in prison so I can rub my weight loss in his face...