Why almond milk

Options

Replies

• GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk in my cereal or heated up for my instant oatmeal. Lower in calories then cow milk.. and i cannot stand skim.. YUCK.

Also i like to put it in my protein shakes before morning workouts... it is like drinking a milk shake
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    I have kind of wondered this too. I love cows milk :D MOAR protein!! :D

Lactose and Casein is terrible for the lactose/casein intolerant....
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Well I obviously understand that part, i was wondering more about the folks who drink it that are not lactose/casein intolerant :P
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Sorry for all the posts and questions, I am just trying to figure things out. I see many people talking about drinking almond milk and cutting out cows milk. Why?

For me its a combination of no lactose, lower calories, and taste. I get plenty of protein in my diet. I don't need to drink cows milk. Skim milk just tastes like crap and I'd rather save my fat for icecream/fatty meats instead.
  • slashkiss
    slashkiss Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too because it actually has the same amount of calories as skim milk.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Lower calories and I prefer the taste. Almond milk is 60cals/cup, while skim is 80cals/cup
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    bump
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I was wondering that too because it actually has the same amount of calories as skim milk.

skim milk is too much like water in both mouth-feel and taste for me.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Skim milk is what they serve in hell.
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Lower calories and I prefer the taste. Almond milk is 60cals/cup, while skim is 80cals/cup

And unsweetened almond milks are only 40 cals/cup
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    Almond milk mocha = heaven.

I start my morning with it every day.

Heat up a cup of original almond milk, add a scoop of instant coffee and a scoop of unsweetened cocoa powder, add a little stevia (or other sweetener) and use a whisk to combine.
    The whisk makes it all foamy/frothy and it is SOOOOO creamy and delicious!

This could easily change my life! Yum!!!!!!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options

Well I obviously understand that part, i was wondering more about the folks who drink it that are not lactose/casein intolerant :P

That would be because it's moar delicious, it's vegan, and there's less "stuff" in it than cow's milk.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Sorry for all the posts and questions, I am just trying to figure things out. I see many people talking about drinking almond milk and cutting out cows milk. Why?

Some people develop this almost-religious conviction that cow's milk is bad and they will proselytize against it. Yet I've never seen any 'real science' to back up that conviction.

I drink both cow and almond milk. I use almond milk in my protein shakes because it's about half the calories of skim milk... meaning it helps a tiny bit with the calorie restricting. I also like the taste of it in hot-cocoa. But there aren't any major advantages to one or the other unless you are lactose intolerant.
  • epona_mus
    epona_mus Posts: 207 Member
    Options

Some people develop this almost-religious conviction that cow's milk is bad and they will proselytize against it. Yet I've never seen any 'real science' to back up that conviction.

I drink both cow and almond milk. I use almond milk in my protein shakes because it's about half the calories of skim milk... meaning it helps a tiny bit with the calorie restricting. I also like the taste of it in hot-cocoa. But there aren't any major advantages to one or the other unless you are lactose intolerant.

Well, it's bad for the COWS who have to produce it.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Heat up a cup of original almond milk, add a scoop of instant coffee and a scoop of unsweetened cocoa powder, add a little stevia (or other sweetener) and use a whisk to combine.

This sounds delicious!

I have two kinds in my fridge: skim milk (the organic, glass bottle local kind) for drinking if I want it or adding to recipes/oatmeal, and then Chocolate Silk soymilk for a chocolatey snack every once in a while. =)
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options

This is what heaven looks like:
    303708_10150367455573833_637923832_9922003_1178958_n.jpg

And it tastes even better than it looks
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Well, it's bad for the COWS who have to produce it.

Not necessarily. :) I've toured a dairy farm. Some farms have higher standards than others, but the cows I saw seemed to be perfectly happy, healthy cows.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    I cut out cows milk when I went vegan about 6 years back, could never get back into drinking it. I do eat yogurt now and some cheese products (not a big cheese fan) but love my almond milk. I use blue diamond unsweetened original.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I was wondering what it tasted like, so thanks! It is quite a bit more expensive, though..
    It's more expensive because almonds are a b!tch to milk.
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    I love all things almond. Almonds, almond butter, almond milk. It's the taste for me!