Why almond milk

Options

Replies

• natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Its lower in calories. I love my lattes and it steams up great - doesn't really taste like milk, but it is tasty. I do like soy milk quite a bit, but I like almond better. And I love cows milk too (it doesn't always like me though - especially first thing in the morning). I get the Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Original, which has 60 Cal per 8 oz, and it is sweetened a tad. I think the unsweetened is nasty - it almost tastes salty to me.
  • erinrose07
    Options
    acne, dairy intolerance, low glycemic index as compared to rice milk (high glycemic index can cause inflammation and irritate acne)
  • MattieJean21
    Options
    I drink the silk milk because when I drink cow milk i tend to get a really upset stomach. I haven't had that problem with silk. Plus the calories are low so that's a plus. But I will drink regular milk every now and then.
  • oftheearth
    oftheearth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have never bought it myself, only tried it here and there, and I do think it tastes better than soy (I drink west soy brand - but only IN things like coffee, cereal, etc.) but there's virtually no protein in it, and that's always why I don't buy it.

However, once I kicked dairy milk for good (I was always grossed out when drinking it because humans aren't supposed to have cow's milk, period), I was left with three kinds of nesquick powder and nothing to mix them in! It just doesn't work right with soy milk. Anyone ever tried it with almond milk? I suppose when I'm drinking nesquick I'm already making a poor health decision and could have it with almond milk and consider the lack of protein part of the "treat"ness of it.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have never bought it myself, only tried it here and there, and I do think it tastes better than soy (I drink west soy brand - but only IN things like coffee, cereal, etc.) but there's virtually no protein in it, and that's always why I don't buy it.

However, once I kicked dairy milk for good (I was always grossed out when drinking it because humans aren't supposed to have cow's milk, period), I was left with three kinds of nesquick powder and nothing to mix them in! It just doesn't work right with soy milk. Anyone ever tried it with almond milk? I suppose when I'm drinking nesquick I'm already making a poor health decision and could have it with almond milk and consider the lack of protein part of the "treat"ness of it.
    It doesn't mix all that well with Nesquick, at least according to my hubby. I've never tried it. It is awesome as a base for hot cocoa, however (see almond milk mocha comment above, just take out the coffee and add a little more cocoa powder).
  • Samsara9
    Options
    Sorry for all the posts and questions, I am just trying to figure things out. I see many people talking about drinking almond milk and cutting out cows milk. Why?

Some people develop this almost-religious conviction that cow's milk is bad and they will proselytize against it. Yet I've never seen any 'real science' to back up that conviction.

I drink both cow and almond milk. I use almond milk in my protein shakes because it's about half the calories of skim milk... meaning it helps a tiny bit with the calorie restricting. I also like the taste of it in hot-cocoa. But there aren't any major advantages to one or the other unless you are lactose intolerant.

Well, it's bad for the COWS who have to produce it.

Not necessarily. :) I've toured a dairy farm. Some farms have higher standards than others, but the cows I saw seemed to be perfectly happy, healthy cows.

Hmmm....well I have a few issues with this! Cows are put into permanent lactation by keeping them pregnant constantly (like immediately after birth, they are inseminated again). They develop breast infections (mastitis), which lead to antibiotic use and pus/blood in milk (sorry). The calves that are born are either shipped right to the veal factories if male, rendered, or, if female, eventually used as dairy cows. Plus....cow's milk is meant for baby cows, not humans...we are the only species to drink the breast milk of another species! Cow's milk is meant to grow a baby cow to a fully mature cow in a year(and think of how much a fully grown cow weighs), so how can it possibly be healthy for humans to drink? I could go on (about excessive animal protein intake being the actual cause of osteoporosis, etc.), and I know that I am going to get cr*p for even posting, but I felt I had to from my own ethical point of view. Stepping of soapbox now and quietly backing away....:flowerforyou:
  • WillowLeaves
    Options
    Thank you for the replies
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have kind of wondered this too. I love cows milk :D MOAR protein!! :D

Lactose and Casein is terrible for the lactose/casein intolerant....

Well I obviously understand that part, i was wondering more about the folks who drink it that are not lactose/casein intolerant :P

That would be because it's moar delicious, it's vegan, and there's less "stuff" in it than cow's milk.

Ahh see i have never tried it. I had soy and rice milk and didn't care for it so now i am scared to try something new xD Must just be used to cows milk! If it really is moar tasty then those 2 maybe I will have to sometime xD
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    At 40 cals per cup for unsweetened almond milk, you can't go wrong.

Plus, that *kitten* is delicious. And cruelty-free!
  • WillowLeaves
    Options
    I will try it.Thank you for the responses. I don't understand why we are not supposed to have cow's milk though?
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I will try it.Thank you for the responses. I don't understand why we are not supposed to have cow's milk though?

Who said you're "not supposed" to have cows milk? People can give you the "its not natural, we're the only species that drinks it" nonsense, but then again.. I'm pretty sure we're the only species that eats cookies, ice cream and cakes too, are you going to stop eating those for the rest of your life because you're "not supposed to" ?

And as for the "chemicals", I think thats a US problem more so than Canadian, buuuuut there are WAY worse things they put in fast and packaged foods. Those chemicals are the least of your worries ;) .

SO, if you like it, drink it :) and if not, don't.
  • futiledevices
    futiledevices Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Humans were originally lactose intolerant.. we've just adapted to it. Save for some who still can't digest it. Our teeth aren't made for eating meat, either, but we still do.
  • futiledevices
    Options

Who said you're "not supposed" to have cows milk? People can give you the "its not natural, we're the only species that drinks it" nonsense, but then again.. I'm pretty sure we're the only species that eats cookies, ice cream and cakes too, are you going to stop eating those for the rest of your life because you're "not supposed to" ?

And as for the "chemicals", I think thats a US problem more so than Canadian, buuuuut there are WAY worse things they put in fast and packaged foods. Those chemicals are the least of your worries ;) .

SO, if you like it, drink it :) and if not, don't.

You are right. The infected milk thing is an American issue.
  • pixydoodle
    Options
    is it higher in protein or lower in saturated fat or fat in general and what's the carb difference
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I will use it because I am lactose intolerent. Same with soy milk, but Almond milk is the closest to tasting like "real milk"

I was wondering what it tasted like, so thanks! It is quite a bit more expensive, though..

It tastes great. It's a little different than cow's milk, but 40 cals for a cup? And it's yummy!! And no, it is not more expensive. The shelf life exponentially outweighs the price. If you aren't an everyday drinker, it will last forever! Plus they sell it in shelf stable containers, so you can stock up during a sale and put it in your pantry. I am totaly PRO almond milk....especially the chocolate! My daughter prefers the chocolate almond milk to cow's milk.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I use both unsweetened Almond milk and cows milk...I use almond milk in my smoothies because cow's milk has so much sugar, and with two smoothies a day and coffees etc the sugar adds up really fast. I don't like the taste on it's own though, If I'm having a glass of milk I drink cow's milk.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Almond milk makes happy cows :)

cows-3.jpg
  • PoochPottery
    Options
    For me it was finding something to put in my coffee that was lower in calories but not watered down like skim milk! I love it. I have a Nespresso machine and it froths the almond milk just like regular!
  • futiledevices
    Options
    I will use it because I am lactose intolerent. Same with soy milk, but Almond milk is the closest to tasting like "real milk"

I was wondering what it tasted like, so thanks! It is quite a bit more expensive, though..

It tastes great. It's a little different than cow's milk, but 40 cals for a cup? And it's yummy!! And no, it is not more expensive. The shelf life exponentially outweighs the price. If you aren't an everyday drinker, it will last forever! Plus they sell it in shelf stable containers, so you can stock up during a sale and put it in your pantry. I am totaly PRO almond milk....especially the chocolate! My daughter prefers the chocolate almond milk to cow's milk.

A small container of almond milk is around $5.. for the same price, I can get 4 litres of cow's milk.. so yes, it it more expensive.
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Really? Here I get it 2 for $5.

A small container of almond milk is around $5.. for the same price, I can get 4 litres of cow's milk.. so yes, it it more expensive.