Why should I lift weights? Pics

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I hate lifting because i have to think about it. With cardio, I can let my mind wander or watch tv and forget I'm exercising. How can I get over that?
    I'm guilty of this too. I'm thinking that what I've lacked is a structured program, with goals and tracking of progress.

Once you get in the groove of it I think lifting just becomes more natural.
    You are right tho Elexgordo, as soon as you get a good program set up where you know exactly what you are doing and start seeing progress you will love to do it even more. I make graphs of strength gains and progress, more motivation!
  • LisaD1025
    LisaD1025 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey!! Great job on your successes! You look great!! Thank you for the inspiration -- I've been doing strictly cardio to get me "started" on my weight loss, but I am going to start weights again tonight. I want arms like yours!!

I also had to compliment you on your Cyclone shirt -- I'm a Cyclone as well!! :)

Go State!!

Lisa
    Options
    Good work. You look great.

Although I am sure the OP is aware of this for the sake of balance I think it should be made clear that "heavy" is a relative term.

In essence the resistance you impose on your muscles (load) must be sufficiently greater than it is accustomed to (overload) forcing it to adapt and grow (hypertrophy). Once it has completed that process if you wish the muscle to grow more or become stronger then you must increase the resistance it has been placed under (progressive overload).

For some people even the bar alone or with minimal weight will be enough to constitute "heavy". It's not about a fixed number. Hell, for some obese people walking is enough to trigger muscular hypertrophy.

Progressive overload doesn't just have to be about weight on the bar (though it is my preferred option). It can be about increased sets, frequency, reps, intensity, decreased rest time (supersetting for example) and so on.

Quoting for awesome detailed information ^^
    Everyone is at different levels of strength. Do what is heavy for you! Endless reps with little weight is not the way to go, but is commonly what women are told to do. And many users I see want to focus on cardio only now, then "tone" at their goal weight.

To those who use the word "tone" When you get to your goal weight and still seem flabbier then you would like and want to tone... well you have to lose more fat to get that defined tone look. If you lift now you will spare more LBM making toning a lot easier. Skinny fat takes a lot of work to undo and is not a fast process. Save yourself the time :D
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    squat.jpg

Look at those quads!
  • syiyi
    syiyi Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!! I was waiting to lose the fat & then weight lift but I'm going to start it.. lol!!! thanks!! btw you look GREAT!
  • RahBuhBuh
    RahBuhBuh Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Great toning in the before and after. Personally, I prefer weights over cardio any day. But, unfortunately, the donuts dictate that you do cardio.

@Jenn who asked about finding a routine. I have two relatively inexpensive suggestions.

1. The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding
    (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0684857219/ref=dp_olp_used/177-4211121-1479053?ie=UTF8&condition=used)

It helps you identify your body type and has weight routines built around that. It starts from beginner and goes to advanced. You can always modify the routine. You can find it on Amazon for about $15

2. Be nosy at the gym. If I see someone whose triceps look the way I want mine to, I watch to see what they do. If it doesn't seem too awkward or likely that they will throat punch me, I will go talk to them and ask them about their routine.

I have added enough mass and tone to my upper body that it has started getting attention from my peers. I must admit, that helps me stay motivated.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    The book New Rules For Lifting, as mentioned before is great to start out with.

Also Good Jamie Easons plan here (free)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

Bodybuilding.com also has a number of good plans.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to get those results? I am using free weights and the machines upstairs at the gym, but I've been a little scared to head down into the weight room. Thanks! You look AMAZING!
    Options
    How long did it take you to get those results? I am using free weights and the machines upstairs at the gym, but I've been a little scared to head down into the weight room. Thanks! You look AMAZING!

The pictures are about a year apart, but I was not consistent with diet (vacation for months and such) but the training was.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    You make me want to work harder!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Great toning in the before and after. Personally, I prefer weights over cardio any day. But, unfortunately, the donuts dictate that you do cardio.

@Jenn who asked about finding a routine. I have two relatively inexpensive suggestions.

1. The New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding
    (http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0684857219/ref=dp_olp_used/177-4211121-1479053?ie=UTF8&condition=used)

It helps you identify your body type and has weight routines built around that. It starts from beginner and goes to advanced. You can always modify the routine. You can find it on Amazon for about $15

2. Be nosy at the gym. If I see someone whose triceps look the way I want mine to, I watch to see what they do. If it doesn't seem too awkward or likely that they will throat punch me, I will go talk to them and ask them about their routine.

I have added enough mass and tone to my upper body that it has started getting attention from my peers. I must admit, that helps me stay motivated.

Thanks!! I don't currently belong to a gym, but we have a small one at work with hand weights and machines.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The book New Rules For Lifting, as mentioned before is great to start out with.

Also Good Jamie Easons plan here (free)

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

Bodybuilding.com also has a number of good plans.

Thanks - I actually just found those when I was doing some searching. They look like good workouts.
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Our little ray of sunshine :)

You're so awesome!
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    You're going to get WAY bulky. :blushing:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Love this! You're an inspiration Sunshine_88!
  • Secret_Agent_007
    Options
    Love the pic of you lifting. Awesome!
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Great post, Sunshine, and awesome results! Keep it up , girl!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I hate lifting because i have to think about it. With cardio, I can let my mind wander or watch tv and forget I'm exercising. How can I get over that?
    I'm guilty of this too. I'm thinking that what I've lacked is a structured program, with goals and tracking of progress.

I must find a way to make this part of my routine. NEED Help!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    OK - so I have a question for you. I'm not afraid of lifting weights - did a ton in high school, but where do you get your program? In high school, the teacher had a program that we followed. Do you have a personal trainer, make your own, or what??

I have my own :] Personal trainers are expensive and with a little research it can all be found on the internet :]

Thanks, I'll have to go searching.

If you're new to lifting, I would suggest googling and using someone elses program. Like madcow, phat, etc, so you get a feel for what routines need to include
  • BananaBee3
    Options
    bump...gonna check out those websites! Thanks for the info and motivation EVERYONE!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!