True or an excuse?

Options
Do you think that eating healthy is more or less expensive? Do you think people use it as an excuse not to change their lifestyle?

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Eating clean should not be more expensive, because you are not buying all the "extras". So, personally I htink its an excuse. I will say, though, I had to increase my food intake quite a bit when I started, so that cost more, but not because the food was healthier...
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I spend way less on healthy food than I do eating junk food take out. I can feed three people for less than $8 if I cook - but Taco Bell will set me back close to $20.

Excuse.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I never did the math, but I think I'm eating cheaper now simply because I prepare more of my own food and eat out less. Eating out is very expensive compared to home-prepared.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I think it is definitely more expensive. Fresh foods spoil very quickly, so it takes a lot money to keep going to the store every week. It's a lot cheaper to buy boxed food and processed meat. That being said, I think a lot of people use it as an excuse because there are simple substitutions that can be made that don't cost too much. For example, buying a bag of apples and oranges don't cost that much. These fruits keep for a long time. You can also buy frozen fruits and veggies that don't cost as much as the fresh stuff and keep longer.
  • Tujitsu56
    Tujitsu56 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I lean towards it being cheaper. Since loosing weight and trying to eat better, I tend to eat smaller portions.
  • Marig0ld
    Marig0ld Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Excuse, and a lame one at that.
  • PepeGreggerton
    PepeGreggerton Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Excuse. Eating less should cost less no?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Given similar volumes of food, healthy eating is WAY more expensive for me as proven by my grocery bill. Steaks, fish, chicken breast, etc is a whole lot more expensive than frozen pizza.
  • Faintgreeneyes
    Faintgreeneyes Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I think that a lot of people use it as an excuse to continue with their bad habits. It easier to make excuses then to hold yourself accountable and get up and do something about it.

While pre-packaged food, *CAN* be cheaper then buying fresh things, if you actually buy fruits and veggies, and meat when they are on sale/special and really plan out your meals, you will actually end up saving money, and the other cost saving benefits are less trips to the DR, less down time for being sick/injured, and more energy.

So I think its an excuse- but that's just my opinion :-)
  • djkshdfd
    djkshdfd Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Depends. If they are not purchasing organic then I think it's an excuse. Now if you are someone who buys only organic, or tries to buy fair trade items....then it may be pricier.
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Organic? More expensive. Generally clean? It isn't more expensive, but it does take STRATEGY - you have to relearn how to shop. Farmer's markets when option - and checking the fancy grocery store for sales (I seriously got blackberries for 79cent a carton the other day - I bought 6! And they are usually about $3 a piece here!) I check the weekly sales at the upscale store, and supplement with Trader Joe's. I buy 'staples' at Aldi. Aldi is hit or miss, you have to figure out what you like from there and what you don't, but I save a ton of cash when I supplement my shopping there.

I am in grad school, living off of $26,000 a year in Chicago. Seriously - it CAN be done.

So I don't know if it's really an excuse... I think it just takes some strategy. You have to relearn how to shop. And I'll be honest, it takes effort.
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Excuse.

I find that cooking at home is extremely less expensive than eating out.

Most fast food, especially dollar menus, scare me. It's like paying someone a dollar to eat plastic.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,098 Member
    Options
    Excuse. I eat much better when I prepare my own healthy meals. I live alone so it can be difficult to use fresh veggies before they spoil, so I've learned to use frozen or to prepare them in soups and then freeze.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you measure it.

-In terms of $ spent per calorie, unhealthy is probably cheaper.
    -However, cooking more and eating out less saves money.
    -Long term health care related costs also need to be considered.

IMO, the big picture is: If you live in the United States or any other developed country and you're not eating healthy, it's because you don't want to.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I don't know about anyone else but I think it's cheaper. You have to make more trips to the store but processed boxed food is so much more expensive.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Depends on how you measure it.

-In terms of $ spent per calorie, unhealthy is probably cheaper.
    -However, cooking more and eating out less saves money.
    -Long term health care related costs also need to be considered.

IMO, the big picture is: If you live in the United States or any other developed country and you're not eating healthy, it's because you don't want to.

Great answer

By the way buying dried beans and legumes is a lot cheaper than frozen chicken nuggets or frozen pizza (@Jackson and iuangina), you don't have to replace the pizza with expensive meat, replace eat out with those items and then it will be cheaper.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Do you think that eating healthy is more or less expensive? Do you think people use it as an excuse not to change their lifestyle?
    It is more expensive to eat healty then to fill up on a bunch of cheap junk food.

BRB. Tostino's pizza = 800 calories and costs a little over a buck. I can barely buy one lean hamburger patty for that amount. LOL

The dollar menu at most fast food places are really high in calories too. Can't seem to find a grilled chicken sandwhich on any dollar menu.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    It is so much less expensive to eat healthy if you cook from home. My boyfriend and I prepare all of our meals at home and go out maybe once or twice a month... We make a lot of stir fries, which are dirt cheap. It's all about finding deals on lean proteins in bulk and loading up on veggies. I love saving money and losing weight by eating delicious food that's good for my body :)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The dollar menu at most fast food places are really high in calories too. Can't seem to find a grilled chicken sandwhich on any dollar menu.

yes, but making a healthy version of foods at home is cheaper than the dollar menu.
  • vdavis_89
    Options
    I think its somewhat of an excuse but it is also a little mor pricey. I'm used to buying prepackaged processed foods because its cheap and convienient and fast. As another poster said fresh foods go bad faster so you have to go to the store weekly (which is difficult to do when you work and go to school from 7am -10pm M-F). Paying a higher price money wise is a choice I'm willing to make because it beats the hell out of paying a higher price medically due to my fat @$$ not eating right lol does that make sense?