True or an excuse?

Options

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    For those of you that say eating healhty is cheaper... what is a typical dinner for you? I can't for the life of me see how eating healthy is cheaper.

Healthy: strip steak, sweet potato, skim milk: $10-12
    Unhealhty: frozen pizza, chips, beer/soda: $5-$7

Where do you shop and how much are you eating?
    Buy meat when it's on sale. Strip steak this week 5.99 lb on sale. Boneless Chicken Breast 1.99 lb.
    You can feed 4 people on a lb add the potatoes and milk it's cheaper. You just have to know how to shop.
    Apples, pears, clementines buy food that are all in season. There are sales every week. Only buy fresh produce you know you are going to eat.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well said. It is a fact that fresh food is more expernsive. This is no excuse to eat poorly, but lower income individulas can simply eat more for less if they eat processed foods. Anyone with the ability to do simply math can tell you that you can get more non-perishable foods for less than what you would pay for the same amount of fresh foods.

Where I am an apple costs less than a chocolate bar, and everywhere I have been this has been the case. beans and lentils are cheaper than frozen mystery meat. And you don't have to buy fresh to eat healthy. Frozen fruit and veggies are very reasonably priced and they last for months.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard to make generalizations about this kind of answer. For me, it's not about "is eating healthy more expensive, or is it an excuse?", it's more like:

"How much do I value being healthy in my food choices?"
    and
    "Am I really being all that smart about my shopping?"

The answers to those are going to be different for everyone. I could eat a personal pizza 3day at $1.50/pizza for a total of $31.50/week of food. That's pretty cheap.
    or
    I could buy a bag of chicken breasts for $20, $20 worth of frozen veggies, and $10 worth of dried goods (rice etc). $50 vs $31.50.

The funny thing is, I don't care about that difference in price. Not even a little bit. Convenience is going to be my downfall 9 times out of 10.

I guess my excuse is just different. This is what we call a First World Problem.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Excuse.

#1 - Steak is common for a "healthy meal" everyday? Seriously? SMH
    #2 - How in the world can 10 cans of beefaroni goup feed a family of four for two weeks?

People are obviously stretching the truth a bit to make them right. Excuse, excuse, excuse.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    Given similar volumes of food, healthy eating is WAY more expensive for me as proven by my grocery bill. Steaks, fish, chicken breast, etc is a whole lot more expensive than frozen pizza.

I agree with this. But really, it's our lives/state of health that hang in the balance so doesn't it make sense to cut back someplace else in the spending department? It does to me, anyway. Ultimately, those doctor bills for heart attacks and diabetes (amongst other things like early death) will cost far more than that chicken and fresh spinach did. I'm cool with spending the extra cashola on the right foods if it means I live longer/feel better/look better/etc/etc.
  • nitnole711
    Options
    For those of you that say eating healhty is cheaper... what is a typical dinner for you? I can't for the life of me see how eating healthy is cheaper.

Healthy: strip steak, sweet potato, skim milk: $10-12
    Unhealhty: frozen pizza, chips, beer/soda: $5-$7

It all depends on what you are eating & how you shop! If you want steak or salmon every day, with smoothies made from kefir, all organic produce, etc, it's expensive. You have to learn how to frugally feed yourself healthy, if cost is a concern. It's not hard....don't underestimate the power, and low cost, of a bag of dried beans & a package of frozen spinach!!!!
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    It is WAY more expensive for me. If you don't buy fruits and vegetable it saves a lot of money. Whole grain stuff is more expensive. Lean meat is more expensive. Healthy snacks are way more expensive. But it's worth it.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I think it's fairly close depending on what "healthy" and what "not healthy" options you make.
    If you're smart about it, you can find good choices for about the same price as some of the junk food.
  • madubil
    madubil Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I think it absolutely depends on what you're making. Buying fish and chicken when its on sale and then freezing is a great option- you can get alot of mileage out of a pack of chicken breasts- a weeks worth of lunches or dinners. If I buy lunch every day at work - itsd between 7 and 12 bucks a day- and thats for panera, potbelly or other chains- not great food by any measure.

I will buy a dozen eggs, and hard boil them on a sunday- take two for breakfast every day is seriously about 40 cents a day for breakfast. So it really depends what you buy and how you prepare it. I can totally understand how people look at mcdonalds dollar menu etc and see its cheaper to eat that way- but in reality, its not - you end up getting multiple items- bc hey its only a buck, so its three or four bucks a meal- and you CAN make something healthier than that for the price.

Finding the time to make food is a bigger issue for me than the cost.

I think the bigger issue is educating people- especially in lower income areas on food value- and how to really eat healthier on a tight budget, bc yes, I do believe fast food companies position themselves in these neighborhoods- but is it bc that's where their business thrives- or is it bc thats the demographic they seek- I suspect a combo of both. I was lucky growing up bc my mom didn't work- so she cooked meals for us- I suspect it would be a very different story if she had to work or was the sole supporter for us.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    #2 - How in the world can 10 cans of beefaroni goup feed a family of four for two weeks?

People are obviously stretching the truth a bit to make them right. Excuse, excuse, excuse.

I would think one meal would be half a can so that would be 2 cans/day (lunch and supper), so that would be only half the food you need for 5 days, not 14 days.
  • MegSommer
    MegSommer Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Given similar volumes of food, healthy eating is WAY more expensive for me as proven by my grocery bill. Steaks, fish, chicken breast, etc is a whole lot more expensive than frozen pizza.

THIS!!!
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Excuse.

I was exaggerating. Sorry there's no button for that. But 10 cans of beefaroni can feed 2 kids for 10 days (2 servings per can). Kind of like when I said that you could only buy a head of lettuce and a bag of apples with $10.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    The dollar menu at most fast food places are really high in calories too. Can't seem to find a grilled chicken sandwhich on any dollar menu.

yes, but making a healthy version of foods at home is cheaper than the dollar menu.

Some of us don't cook often and still want to improve our bodies. I know you aren't implying that in order to improve your body you'll have to eat at home more. I eat out every single day. No issues. I just find that it's cheaper to eat bad than healthy. I don't buy excuses about it limiting your ability to lose weight. Don't misunderstand me.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's more about buying the raw cooking materials, watching for sales, and making your own food. You have to work a little more for your meals.

I find it kind of satisfying. I make my own bread now (started about 2-3 months ago) and here is the list of ingredients: flour, yeast, sugar, water, salt. All of those ingredients are DIRT cheap, the whole bread making process really isn't that time consuming. It's not like you have to sit there and watch it rise. The bread also tastes a helluva lot better and I know there's not a bunch of junk in it. My recipe makes 2 large loafs or 4 smaller, 8-9" loaves that can be used for sandwiches. I really doubt that each batch costs more than 50 cents. You only have to be active in the bread making process for 15 min... maybe even less.
  • nitnole711
    Options
    Excuse.

I was exaggerating. Sorry there's no button for that. But 10 cans of beefaroni can feed 2 kids for 10 days (2 servings per can).

Beefaroni should not exist as well as a million other things! How bout a peanut butter sandwich & an apple for the kiddos?! Homemade oatmeal cookies for dessert....
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    It's a hell of alot cheaper to feed yourself/kids ramen noodles, cans of soup, mac and cheese, hamburger helper, than it is to make a wholesome meal with REAL meats and fresh fruits/veggies.

Pot roast $5 on sale where I live
    REAL mashed potatoes ($4/bag...maybe $1 for that nights' dinner)
    Bag of carrots ($2.50)

...you're already up to $8.50. I could've fed my whole family grilled cheese and soup for half of that.

I went shopping today...healthy cereal is $1.00 more for a smaller box. Then there's nuts/granola, veggies/fruits...

For a single person, it may be easier, for a family...it's hard on us.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    It's a hell of alot cheaper to feed yourself/kids ramen noodles, cans of soup, mac and cheese, hamburger helper, than it is to make a wholesome meal with REAL meats and fresh fruits/veggies.

Bag of carrots ($2.50)

...you're already up to $8.50. I could've fed my whole family grilled cheese and soup for half of that.

I went shopping today...healthy cereal is $1.00 more for a smaller box. Then there's nuts/granola, veggies/fruits...

^This
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Since I didn't state my opinion: I find it to be an excuse. That is generalizing and of course there are exceptions :] If you don't eat healthy i'm not judging by the way xD

I spend way less money then I used to on groceries now that I eat healthier. Beans, lentils, rice, oats, frozen/canned veggies, meat in bulk when it goes on sale... doesn't always have to be expensive. Prices are pretty cheap here I should add

To the beeferoni post: $10 could take you a lot farther than that in my opinion. Fruits and veggies aren't the only thing out there. For $10 you could get eggs, beans, rice, oats and such (around here anyway) So there are options
  • nitnole711
    Options

Bag of carrots ($2.50)

I have a family too... Myself, hubs & 2 girls...it can be done frugally! You just have to take the time and plan..you can't just 'wing it' at the store! Frozen veggies are inexpensive & still contain great nutritional value... Pot roast isn't healthy anyway...
  • VAMommyAgain
    VAMommyAgain Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I find organic produce & meat, protein powder and some other extras (flax oil, hemp hearts, chia seeds, etc) more expensive but I wasn't eating fast food to begin with...so for me it's more expensive.