True or an excuse?

Options

Replies

• madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    No, but I think it can be depending on how you shop. Before I was trying to eat healthy, the way I shopped was to go once a week and get everything at once. If I try to do that with healthy food, I find that it goes bad before I can eat it. So, I was heading out to replace.

I now shop a few times aweek for smaller amounts and I find I'm spending less.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Like I said though I am only speaking for prices around here. I worked at a grocery store for about 3 years so I have a good idea.

Just have to catch the sales I think. During sales you can get eggs and a bag of potatoes for less than $1
    meat doesn't have to be apart of an everyday meal in my opinion. Beans and lentils have protein too and the bagged ones are pretty cheap. Also can get canned veggies for 3 for $1 too.

The hard part would be fats i think. Most products high in fats seem to be the pricey part. Nuts especially. Olive oil is $4 a bottle, but you get about 32 servings
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    See and where I live, frozen veggies are still expensive unless you catch them on sale.

Steamfresh veggies = $1.25
    Can of corn = $.89

Depends on where you live, what you catch on sale...
    Options
    I find organic produce & meat, protein powder and some other extras (flax oil, hemp hearts, chia seeds, etc) more expensive but I wasn't eating fast food to begin with...so for me it's more expensive.

I don't think organic products really count in this debate though since organic does not always mean it is healthier. That stuff sure can be pricey though! I tried to buy organic meats when I decided to go from vegetarian back to eating meat... couldn't keep up!
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I say it's an excuse to an extent. My groceries are pretty expensive, but that is offset by the fact that we rarely eat out anymore. That said, I will say I think OVERALL it's cheaper. Both my husband I are healthier and spend less on healthcare due to being overweight. This will increase tenfold over the years as we stay thin and don't have to worry about diabetes, heart disease, and for me stomach/intestinal cancer. So it may cost me more now, but I'm investing in my future health which will cost me less in the long run!

FYI, I made chicken parmesan last night for under $10 and it made 8 servings. That's less than one meal at the restaurant!
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Since I didn't state my opinion: I find it to be an excuse. That is generalizing and of course there are exceptions :] If you don't eat healthy i'm not judging by the way xD

I spend way less money then I used to on groceries now that I eat healthier. Beans, lentils, rice, oats, frozen/canned veggies, meat in bulk when it goes on sale... doesn't always have to be expensive. Prices are pretty cheap here I should add

To the beeferoni post: $10 could take you a lot farther than that in my opinion. Fruits and veggies aren't the only thing out there. For $10 you could get eggs, beans, rice, oats and such (around here anyway) So there are options

^Exactly. Beans, oats, and rice, especially in bulk, are very cheap. You can find meat on sale and buy in bulk for families, and it ends up being cheaper and healthier that way! And as some others have said, frozen veggies are pretty reasonable and still have good nutritional value. Just look at the nutrition label to see if anything has been added. You do have to plan your meals ahead if you want to eat healthy on a budget, but it's worth it and it's really not that hard. Who wouldn't want to save money while eating well and feeling good?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    See and where I live, frozen veggies are still expensive unless you catch them on sale.

Steamfresh veggies = $1.25
    Can of corn = $.89

Depends on where you live, what you catch on sale...

Don't get steam fresh then, you can get bags of frozen veggies for not much more but have 8-10 servings for that price.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I never gave my opinion... despite it being significantly more expensive for me, I still think it's an excuse. My health and happiness are well worth an extra $25 at the grocery store each week.
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    ok...beefaroni is a bad example. I was just trying to make a point. That it is very easy for those of us who have the means, time, transportation, etc. to critize the actions of people who don't eat healthy. I can help to educate them on healthier choices. I have been there where the only thing I can afford is peanut butter, bread, and milk (about $5). (college) I'm thankful that I'm no longer in that position.

I have never been in a situation where I have to feed my kids while working 3 jobs so that I can simply pay for the electricity. I have never had to stretch my food stamps until I get the next round. People who do buy raman noodles and any other canned goods that are on sale.

I know that my personal experience has been that my grocery bill has gone up $30 a week since we buy fresh meat, fruits, and veggies. I think that people are too quick to judge others.

Also - $10 is not always $10 depending on where you live.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It is indeed cheaper (but less convenient) to prepare your own healthy meals.

Here is a great article on the topic: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/opinion/sunday/is-junk-food-really-cheaper.html

Over work with minimum wage, don't have time to cook. Kids hungry and want food access all the time.
    Don't have internet, don't have the education to know what is healthy to eat.
    BTW, I'm single.
  • eellis2000
    eellis2000 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For those of you that say eating healhty is cheaper... what is a typical dinner for you? I can't for the life of me see how eating healthy is cheaper.

Healthy: strip steak, sweet potato, skim milk: $10-12
    Unhealhty: frozen pizza, chips, beer/soda: $5-$7

have 1/4 of the size steak and add beans and lentil and your cost will be cut in half or more. My wife and I eat quite healthy and eat out only once a week and our grocery bill is 80/week for 2 of us so that gives us 3 meals plus 2 snacks/day 6 days/week, with one less meal and snack on the other day. So on average we spend $5.71/day each (not per meal) for breakfast, lunch, snacks and supper.

Yes but that's dinner for you and your wife only. Alot of people have to feed anywhere from 3-5 mouths at the same time so 3*80 =240 per week which is alot more expensive than hamburger helper, mac n cheese, or ramen noodles which is horrible for you but goes much further.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    It's an excuse and/or plain stupidity

150g bag of chips = $2.49 2 serves
    2.5kg bag of apples $4.99 16 serves

A typical regular combo meal at Burger King = $10 1 serve
    A loaf of wholegrain bread $2.50, a lettuce $1.50, a half dozen tomatos $2.00 and a dozen slices of cheese $2.50 = $8.50 12 sandwiches/6 serves

Instant (Ramen) noodles about $1.79 1 serve
    Chicken carcass $1.99 1/2 bag soup mix (lentils, barley, dried vegetables) $1.05 = $3.04 2 lites/ 5 serves

500g bag of budget chocolate chip cookies = $3.99 about 10 serves
    1.5kg bag carrots = $2.49 about 20 serves/carrots

ETA: these are prices for this country, but we still hear the same excuses
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    Excuse. What about the long term costs to health? What about kids having a good wholesome breakfast instead of cereal or pop tarts that will leave them hungry in an hour and effect their ability to focus in school? Plus, most people I know who have switched to a more whole food based diet have found they they feel fuller for longer after a home cooked whole foods meal than after eating a meal of fast food or processed food at home (though most of them also noticed the first couple of weeks while switching over they were really hungry, but then their bodies adjusted and it flipped to being fuller, longer). It's about thinking about the larger picture and adding in those costs, as well as thinking about how portions work and how one bag of potatoes, rice, oatmeal, beans, etc, can be used in more than one meal. Buy in bulk. Buy seasonal fruits and vegetables. Make soups and stews and stir-fries. Make a giant bean soup with dried beans, various frozen or fresh colorful veggies, some potatoes. Change of mindset is required - are prepackaged snacks necessary? Is portion cost comparable if you are buying staples in bulk rather than prepackaged?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/family-health/groceries-on-a-budget.aspx
    http://life.familyeducation.com/shopping/money-and-kids/29621.html
    http://www.netmums.com/family-food/guide-to-cooking-on-a-budget/cooking-on-a-budget
    Options
    ok...beefaroni is a bad example. I was just trying to make a point. That it is very easy for those of us who have the means, time, transportation, etc. to critize the actions of people who don't eat healthy. I can help to educate them on healthier choices. I have been there where the only thing I can afford is peanut butter, bread, and milk (about $5). (college) I'm thankful that I'm no longer in that position.

I have never been in a situation where I have to feed my kids while working 3 jobs so that I can simply pay for the electricity. I have never had to stretch my food stamps until I get the next round. People who do buy raman noodles and any other canned goods that are on sale.

I know that my personal experience has been that my grocery bill has gone up $30 a week since we buy fresh meat, fruits, and veggies. I think that people are too quick to judge others.

Like I said in my above post there are going to be exceptions. The 3 job situation is going to be one of them. Which is why we use generalizations.

No one is here to judge, just share views, opinions, experiences.
    This topic recently came up in one of my nutrition courses and thought it would be good to post here

But for most I still say it is an excuse. If you do not value health as much then well it is not worth the effort of looking for sales like this. But healthy eating is given a bad rep and often said it is too expensive, when it does not need to be
  • iuangina
    Options

A loaf of wholegrain bread $2.50, a lettuce $1.50, a half dozen tomatos $2.00 and a dozen slices of cheese $2.50 = $8.50 12 sandwiches/6 serves

Chicken carcass $1.99 1/2 bag soup mix (lentils, barley, dried vegetables) $1.05 = $3.04 2 lites/ 5 serves

Last time I was at the store - Ramen noodles did not cost that much. More like 3 for $1.00
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Excuse. My family is on a budget of about $75/week for 5 of us. We eat healthy just fine but it takes work.
  • iuangina
    Options

Like I said in my above post there are going to be exceptions. The 3 job situation is going to be one of them. Which is why we use generalizations.

No one is here to judge, just share views, opinions, experiences.
    This topic recently came up in one of my nutrition courses and thought it would be good to post here

But for most I still say it is an excuse. If you do not value health as much then well it is not worth the effort of looking for sales like this. But healthy eating is given a bad rep and often said it is too expensive, when it does not need to be

I understand your point. However, it seems like there have been several posts that talk about stupidity with regard to the inability to purchase healthy products.
  • sarahgilmore
    sarahgilmore Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Last time I was at the store - Ramen noodles did not cost that much. More like 3 for $1.00

Sorry yes I just edited my post - different country
  • sassylilmama
    sassylilmama Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Excuse. What about the long term costs to health? What about kids having a good wholesome breakfast instead of cereal or pop tarts that will leave them hungry in an hour and effect their ability to focus in school? Plus, most people I know who have switched to a more whole food based diet have found they they feel fuller for longer after a home cooked whole foods meal than after eating a meal of fast food or processed food at home (though most of them also noticed the first couple of weeks while switching over they were really hungry, but then their bodies adjusted and it flipped to being fuller, longer). It's about thinking about the larger picture and adding in those costs, as well as thinking about how portions work and how one bag of potatoes, rice, oatmeal, beans, etc, can be used in more than one meal. Buy in bulk. Buy seasonal fruits and vegetables. Make soups and stews and stir-fries. Make a giant bean soup with dried beans, various frozen or fresh colorful veggies, some potatoes. Change of mindset is required - are prepackaged snacks necessary? Is portion cost comparable if you are buying staples in bulk rather than prepackaged?

http://www.everydayhealth.com/family-health/groceries-on-a-budget.aspx
    http://life.familyeducation.com/shopping/money-and-kids/29621.html
    http://www.netmums.com/family-food/guide-to-cooking-on-a-budget/cooking-on-a-budget

Thank you for the links, last one had some new ideas my kids will love :)
  • Mios3
    Mios3 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Given similar volumes of food, healthy eating is WAY more expensive for me as proven by my grocery bill. Steaks, fish, chicken breast, etc is a whole lot more expensive than frozen pizza.

This