Greek yogurt

Options
13»

Replies

• justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    I love Greek yogurt. My favorite brand is one called siggi's. Their yogurt seems to be less sour than others and they have great things mixed in, like orange and ginger. I'd definitely try it.
    I also love Fage's yogurt with cherry but their yogurt is a bit sour.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I add a tablespoon of sugar free Smuckers Preserves to my plain greek yogurt, boysenberry is the best. The ones with fruit at the bottom are too sweet for me. I also use plain greek yogurt in my tuna, chicken, or egg salad, instead of so much mayo.
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I want to like it, I really do. It's just way too sour for me. Any suggestions on how to make it better? Plus I'm not to crazy about the texture of yogurt-needs something crunchy in it like granola.

It is sour... a lot of people use it in place of sour cream... ;)

I have come to love it mixed with fruit and stevia etc... you can add some crunch with sliced almonds or even the granola.. ;)
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    A 1/2 tsp of sugar free maple syrup really works wonders.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Some yogurts are more sour than others. I make my own yogurt and it's not very sour at all. When I make yogurt, I actually strain some of my yogurt BEYOND the thickness of greek yogurt and I add some salt and this is lebane AKA yogurt cheese. Delish!

The trick is that I am careful of how long I leave the yogurt to process and as soon as it's thickened, I immediately put it in a very very cold spot in the fridge so it can cool way down quickly. The longer you leave the yogurt out, the longer the bacteria will be active and the more sour it will get. When I strain yogurt, I do it in the fridge to prevent it from getting overly sour.

So if you are determined to like greek yogurt, try multiple brands, if that fails, make your own. It's waaaaaaaaay cheaper and you can control the finished product!
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I make and add my own granola.

And, I mix in some "regular" probiotic yogurt that already has fruit added. This cutes down on the bleh taste a little.
  • kristelpoole
    kristelpoole Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I love it! I use it in "alfredo" or "cream" sauces, as "sour cream" on baked potatoes or sweet potatoes, or with oatmeal or with added stevia or honey and pumpkin-flax granola and fruit.
  • jenn_is_trouble
    Options
    "Greek Gods" has a really nice honey flavored one, but it's higher in calories than most brands (if I remember correctly). I don't buy it anymore because the store I shop at only has the large container and I can't go through it that fast :(
  • tegla
    tegla Posts: 132
    Options
    I have read that if you get high quality Greek yogurt, not only 'made with live cultures', but 'contains live cultures'...that the live cultures actually consume some of the lactose in it while it's in the tub, so that by the time you eat it, there are less lactose carbohydrates in the yogurt. That is interesting.
    /quote]

That is indeed interesting
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I have tried many many brands of Greek yogurt that I HATE.

But, I find the Fage 2% with honey cups to be delicious. Add some granola, nom nom nom. You get the yogurt, dip it in honey, sprinkle with granola.

*drool*
  • bens_momma
    Options
    I've been dabbling in Greek yogurt for a while. I'm not a fan of yogurt in general, but I found that I like Voskos blended Greek honey the most so far. 130 calories, no fat, and 13 grams of protein!
  • sara338
    Options
    I add crystal light in mine. I also freeze it sometimes and it tastes like 'frozen yogurt'. The crystal light packets come in so many flavors and 1 packet lasts a long time also.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I want to like it, I really do. It's just way too sour for me. Any suggestions on how to make it better? Plus I'm not to crazy about the texture of yogurt-needs something crunchy in it like granola.
    If you don't like it, don't eat it. I love it and hate any other kind of yogurt. I use it as sour cream substitute or I add 1 stevia packet and whatever fruit I have handy. If you have granola you like, toss that in. I've even added 1 tblsp of almond butter and cacao powder for a creamy reeses peanut butter cup type flavor.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I use it extensively as a substitute for sour cream and mayo in different things. Most notably, on mexican food and in tuna and chicken salads. And my most recent discovery...

Plain greek yogurt (6-10 oz) + 1 scoop Dymatize Nutrition Vanilla Casein Protein = Cheesecake.

Seriously. Ok it's not exact. But it's a VERY similar flavor, extremely comparable texture, and zomg is it amazingly good for you. Ridiculously good blend of macros for satiety and lean fitness.