Only women need reply!...Unless you are a doctor!!:)

Options
I never ever crave sweets of any kind until....TOM comes!! Grrrrr......Why is this??? I just want to scarf down a huge box of glazed doughnuts all at once!! It isnt all in my head either because I NEVER want sugar and then all the sudden, Im eating a doughnut or candy bar wondering why it tastes better than it has ever tasted before and them boom!!......Oh crap, ya, thats why.....freakin TOM!!!

Replies

• 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Perhaps the blood loss you have makes you slightly anaemic? Try taking a boost via iron supplement and see if that helps the cravings. That way, even if it is psycosymatic you might still see your cravings lessen by taking a supplement.

Lally
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It is something to do with hormones i guess....I am the same way!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    For some reason, this last period I didn't have that strangely enough. And it's when I started my whole fitness/healthy lifestyle..usually though, I'm stuffing brownies in my face! In any case, I bought a package of Weight Watchers mini chocolate fudge bars (45 calories each!) and a carton of Silk Light Chocolate soymilk to have on hand for chocolate fixes! I was also given a bar of 90% good dark chocolate. That usually helps me too because I feel like dark chocolate is more intense and filling than regular chocolate.
  • kme2011
    kme2011 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    because life is cruel sometimes. i have those same moments. like yesterday i couldn't help but to eat a dang bag a "Peanut M & M's". OMG they were great but i soon regreted it after. I would like to know why we crave sugar around this time too. darn it! Thank goodness i won't have to deal with this "sugar demon" when Christmas gets here. lol because i know i would go way over board then. :happy:
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is true. I hardly ever want sweets until then. I just devoured a whole bag of cookies over the weekend. smh
  • stephaniev07
    stephaniev07 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I couldn't tell you the reason sorry but you are not alone. for about a week before and during my TOM I crave chocolate. before my healthy change I would buy the 6 pack of hershey's chocolate bars to keep in the fridge for just that purpose. Since the healthy change I have yet to find a better alternative except push the urges away, I did have a chocolate sugar free pudding which was ok, but didn't quite fulfill the gap the hershey's left. lol sorry.
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I crave them the most during that time. Peanut butter cups and fried mozzarella sticks... it's only when TOM is around!
  • Tuffjourney
    Options
    Ditto here too!. :grumble:
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    well hormones changing, and since it happens every month, just keep a watch on yourself and habits, and don't give in all the way, just treat yourself a little. i usually just get depressed for about a week before and need salty things, once i realized a pattern, i started to ignore myself getting nutty and knew it would pass
  • 08caseyk
    Options
    Yarnells has these guilt free fudge pops. and there gluten free. 70 cals for one, but it helps me when i need a chocolate fix. or sugar free italian ice aswell. But yeah, i have the same problem lol. It sucks
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen to me.
  • Supercatie80
    Supercatie80 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    It's actually a pretty common problem. Science hasn't really figured out why but they believe it has something to do with changes in hormone levels which cause your blood sugar to drop.

Here's a pretty good little blurb on it: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0846/is_10_21/ai_86035109/
  • ludke
    ludke Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks - this made me feel better as I had a doughnut today at work...just couldn't pass up the jelly filled one calling my name. Insanity work out after work will be needed.
  • stephevers1227
    stephevers1227 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is related, but my husband craves chocolate. I did a little research and if your magnesium is low, cravings increase. Would be interesting to see if your magnesium is depleted during TOM. I order him chelated magnesium from carlson labs and he says it helps. May be mental...but he said it helps.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is scientifically valid, but I've always assumed those cravings were because the body is trying to get in as many calories as possible to support any possible pregnancy that might begin, or have begun, before the end of the cycle. Seems logical to me, but I have no basis of fact to support my theory.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You should all join the Periods, Period. group on MFP. You can talk about anything relating to weight loss and menstruation.

I never noticed my cravings because I ate like that all the time.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm famished on day 1 and 2. But I wonder how much of it is giving myself permission to eat more because I feel sluggish.
  • uberrach
    uberrach Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Be mindful of your autonomous biological processes. Read this article:
    http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=56732

Has some great information about why this happens to almost all of us. Hope this information is helpful!
  • monkeymomof3
    monkeymomof3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I don't know why either, but I am a salty girl always....sweets are GOOD but I never really crave them....and then 3-5 days before TOM all I can think about is ZEBRA CAKES.......
  • hperowl
    hperowl Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump :)