Only women need reply!...Unless you are a doctor!!:)

Options

Replies

• WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    This is a very informative website: http://www.fwhc.org/health/moon.htm

I found it by googling why do you crave sweets when you have your period. Google is truly an amazing invention :flowerforyou:
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Ha-ha I looked at this post and i replied! ******running away with my ball*******
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I don't get cravings.
    But I do get all 'stabby' and murderous.
    Me too! I goes in cycles though....lol
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/scschenk/view/the-captain-s-tom-blog-166347

check this blog out - he does a good job of explaining what's going on during the TOM
  • elysecea
    elysecea Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    That is me every month!!!!!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/scschenk/view/the-captain-s-tom-blog-166347

check this blog out - he does a good job of explaining what's going on during the TOM
    Is he a doctor though?!
  • dchss80
    Options
    Hi,
    I have that trouble either its sweets or salt. When I crave these things I stay away from grocery stores and vending machines. if i cant help it i grab a bag of welchs fruit snacks
  • mummytee87
    mummytee87 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    For me, personally, my TOM makes me feel miserable, so snuggling up with a hot water bottle and some chocolate just makes me feel better! :) xxx
  • EReeves2
    EReeves2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I just posted my status on here about how badly I did this morning. It's PMS for sure!!
  • EReeves2
    EReeves2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i'm a doctor. this is normal it happens to everyone.

actually i'm not a doctor, i just have a uterus. but it's the same, right?

LOL! Works for me.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i think it's all just weird hormonal reactions. For me, before i get my period, I am so nauseous i don't wanna eat a thing. For a couple of days, I'll barely touch anything. It literally feels like morning sickness and there have been a few times when my PMS was so bad, I actually thought I might be pregnant! And then when I start bleeding, I eat EVERYTHING. I kinda think of this as "catching up" but maybe it's just how the hormones affect me.
  • zbmb30
    zbmb30 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    That happens to me too. The best thing I found to help it is "out of sight, out of mind." It's what helps me with my sweets cravings anyways. When there's no sweets sitting out for me to see, it's sort of like I forget all about their exisistance for the most part. Makes no sense.

Example: I hadn't had sweets in like a week. My mom brings home a box of Krispy Kreme doughnuts she bought for a fundraiser, and yeah, I couldn't wait to get my hands on them. Krispy Kreme is a total weakness of mine.
  • crodrigu73
    crodrigu73 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    With me it isn't that I get cravings, but when I get PMS I get sad, the before blues I call it. When I am sad I just want to eat, I want to eat for comfort to feel better. What I have accomplished doesn't seem like it matters any longer, I just care that I am depressed and eating makes me feel better. That is exactly how I felt yesterday and today. I feel like dark cloud snoopy.
  • wanderlust3
    Options
    I'm not sure why this happens, probably due to hormones or blood sugar. It's definitely not all in your head, though; the day before (and sometimes the first day of) my period I am always freaking STARVING, to the point where I can predict exactly when I am going to get it just based on how hungry I feel. I don't get cravings for sweet stuff or junk food, I just feel famished!

For the record, don't go taking iron pills, as one person suggested, without consulting a doctor. Some supplements are fairly harmless to take even if you don't need them, but iron is not one of them; it's toxic in large quantities and has some funky side effects (aka serious constipation) even for people who genuinely do need it. Just because it could be an anemia issue doesn't mean it is an anemia issue, and frankly you'd probably be complaining of far more upsetting symptoms than cravings if it were.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    It's a combination of hormones and a depletion of magnesium! When a woman starts her cycle she looses a lot of essential minnerals... try taking a supplement... this will also help with moodiness (if that's a problem for you as well like it is me!)

Hope this helps!
  • meli_medina
    meli_medina Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    Ahh I'm the same way! Yesterday I ate a 1/3 of a jar of nutella. I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF! It sucks, but hopefully my TOM I over by Saturday and the two pounds I've gained is from bloating...?

...or the 1/3 of a jar of Nutella

Doubtful that there's 7,000 calories in 1/3 a jar of Nutella... it's water weight. (Edited to add) I just checked. 4,000 calories in an entire jar, so no. It wasn't the Nutella. ;)

OP, it's normal because of hormonal fluctuations. Also, your body can burn up to 200 extra calories (because of increased blood flow), and also may require more carbohydrates during that time. This is according to several articles I have read on the Mayo Clinic's website.
  • aims78
    aims78 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I think that is how it is for most of us women, but if it really is bothering you then you may want to s/w your ob/gyn... I wish you the best !!
  • Alphatigress
    Options
    I crave salt and steak.... go figure. I usually go for sunflower seeds in the shell. Sometimes I go for chocolate, my fav is dark chocolate almond nuggets from Hershey. Not big into baked goods though, they usually make me feel sick to my tummy.