Only women need reply!...Unless you are a doctor!!:)

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've read that it may have to do with magnesium levels dropping during menses and therefore our bodies crave it. Try finding other foods or suppliments that boost your magnesium intake and see if that helps.

I'm convinced that it's mostly an emotional eating reaction - you're feeling icky because you're bloated and crampy and chocolate is an excellent comfort food.

Like bhalter, if I'm going to cave to these cravings, I go for the dark chocolate. In fact, now that I've gotten used to good dark chocolate, milk chocolate tastes like that cheap no name stuff to me.
  • mudya
    mudya Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky I don't get any cravings that time of the month :D But I hate the cramps!! Boooo! :( Why don't you make some healthy oat bars/flapjacks as a substitute for the unhealthy sweet foods? There are so many recipes out there!
  • trilikeagirl
    Options
    I read an article that says our metabolism goes up during that time. I thought that explained a lot! Great excuse to allow a few more calories and be ok with it, or if we fight it we know we burn more calories that week by NOT eating more. One of the few things during our TOM that is win-win, lol! :drinker:
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night...
  • MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    hormones
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    I don't get cravings.
    But I do get all 'stabby' and murderous.
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    i'm a doctor. this is normal it happens to everyone.

actually i'm not a doctor, i just have a uterus. but it's the same, right?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    I've watched "House" a couple of times.
  • MariaAlbinaxoxo
    MariaAlbinaxoxo Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Ahh I'm the same way! Yesterday I ate a 1/3 of a jar of nutella. I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF! It sucks, but hopefully my TOM is over by Saturday and the two pounds I've gained is from bloating...?
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    It's an anoemia issue. Get some supplements. And I indulge. The first day of my cycle, I eat whatever I want. I give myself that day. It's a monthly schedule, so one day doesn't kill you.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options

Only the best ever quote that I wish I would have thought of myself....

As Jorra mentioned, there is a group for you all to talk about these things!!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/779-periods-period
  • solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    This doesn't happen to me.

That proves it.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Here is a link that will explain it all to you!

http://tinyurl.com/6ljpu29

:flowerforyou:
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I believe it is due to your hormones being out of wack during TOM... Same reason pregnant ladies have cravings.

I crave salty things during TOM and could polish down a bag of salt & vinegar chips in a flash.

It isn't going to hurt if you indulge during TOM... If you know that you crave sweet things prepare yourself with sugar free chocolate pudding, dark chocolate squares, non-fat hot chocolate, etc... All should help so you don't grab a doughnut.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    Medically I don't have an answer, but I will chalk it up to the hormones. It happens with me also. Any other day, I can almost successfully turn a blind eye to chocolate, but when TOM comes around, I turn into a Sugar werewolf, and scarf down anything chocolatey in proximity. Same thing goes for salty foods.
  • WarriorMom2012
    WarriorMom2012 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Ahh I'm the same way! Yesterday I ate a 1/3 of a jar of nutella. I COULDN'T HELP MYSELF! It sucks, but hopefully my TOM I over by Saturday and the two pounds I've gained is from bloating...?

...or the 1/3 of a jar of Nutella
  • ShannanRenae
    Options
    Its OUR HORMONES!!!!!!! I only want chocolate like 5 days b4 it arrives, I CRAVE it & if I dnt get sum, its TROUBLE!!!! Chocolate & water is ALL I wont during TOM!
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    well hormones changing, and since it happens every month, just keep a watch on yourself and habits, and don't give in all the way, just treat yourself a little. i usually just get depressed for about a week before and need salty things, once i realized a pattern, i started to ignore myself getting nutty and knew it would pass

Haha, I've had a period for 15 years now and STILL forget to understand the signs. I'll be cranky and argumentative and then TOM comes and I'm like "Ohhhhh." Every. Single. Month. It's kind of amusing really.
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Not just when TOM visits... Otherwise too, I am an emotional eater. Either I totally put away food or if I start eating, I can bring down the house searching the next sweet thing. I've finally found a solution to it though. COFFEE. I make myself a cuppa and retire to my room. After finishing it, usually the temptation is gone!
  • traceracer
    traceracer Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    LOL funny.....