Zumba

Options

Replies

• Scrapper73
    Options
    Zumba is a ton of fun, unless you get stuck next to someone with no dancing ability! It burns a lot of calories quickly and is always up beat and the instructors are usually very "happy"! It's worth the time to at least try it.
  • ShannonLip
    Options
    I agree! I LOVE Zumba but the instructor does make a big difference. I went faithfully until my instructor suffered a shoulder injury and had to quit teaching. I just couldn't get into the routines of another instructor. Sad because I was addicted. I did purchase the DVD to do it at home but the class was so much more fun.
  • LovingCruz
    LovingCruz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Love it!!
  • sjerrott
    sjerrott Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I love it! I just started three weeks ago, and I actually look forward to class. I've never looked forward to exercising in my life!
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like the uncoordinated four-legged monkey that escaped a lab when they are doing zumba? Because I do. Needless to say it's AMAZING. And you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. I'm not sure about 600 calories burned or whatever, but its a great workout and beats the elliptical any day.
  • Eliza117
    Options
    Love it!!! I have it on the Wii and play it in my living room, so it's a little less embarrassing when I don't know the moves than if I were at a gym, but having it at home also means that I can go full out with the moves to burn more and not worry about hitting someone nearby. lol =)
  • stephlake
    stephlake Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Zumba for about a month and it is soo much fun. I made my best friend go with me and we just laugh at each other and have a ball.

About three classes in I was standing next to my buddies waiting for the doors to open along with about 25 women. The crowd was extremely quiet right as I said "I do my best ya know, but my CRD really shows in this class" I felt several people glance at me and step away slightly.. as if CRD is contagious. My friends looks at me curiously and says "CRD??" Yes, I responded:
    "CAUCASIAN RHYTHM DISORDER". :laugh:

Yeah, I crack myself up.
  • eezumba
    eezumba Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Love it! I am an instructor :) In reading some of the posts, if you have tried a class and didn't like it, try it from another instructor. DON'T GET DISCOURAGED! We all have different styles, find the style that suits you. Zumba is great for mind and body. You don't have to be a trained dancer either. After a few times, you will start to get the hang of things and can start adding your own flavor.

I highly recommend Zumba!!
  • CajunGypsy
    Options
    Ladies - even with my HRM, how do I tell how many calories it was? Is there a website that will calculate it for me? My HRM doesn't do calories (???) I am in the market for one, if anyone has any tips!
  • sassycassy
    sassycassy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Zumba is AWESOME!!!!! I love it!!!
  • k_braddock
    k_braddock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else feel like the uncoordinated four-legged monkey that escaped a lab when they are doing zumba? Because I do. Needless to say it's AMAZING. And you can make it as hard or as easy as you want. I'm not sure about 600 calories burned or whatever, but its a great workout and beats the elliptical any day.

Yes! Some days! Others, I'm in the groove. I do Zumba on my PS3 four days a week and love it. I'm thinking about trying the DVD though. The game has tutorials and different dances but it sounds like I'm missing out on a ton of different routines!
  • lisa_getz
    Options
    Love Zumba. But the instructor makes or breaks the class.

I totally agree!!! Love zumba especially when you have a great instructor :smile:
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Love Zumba. But the instructor makes or breaks the class.

^^^THIS!
  • meeks929
    Options
    Zumba is great, I have it for the xbox kinect & I get a great workout from it!!! I prefer the video game because going to the actual class the instructor's enthusiasm or lack thereof can have adverse effects on the participants/me
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    One word of warning: make sure you wear shoes which offer support for lateral movement as well as cushioning. I shelled out £40 on zumba shoes (split sole) that I thought would be good for me, yet those shoes, coupled with poor technique (not grounding my heels, and landing too heavily on my toes) left me with very very painful shin splints. It annoys me that in zumba instructors never mention anything like this, about proper technique, if they had I might not have had to take so much time off exercising and spent more ££££ on orthotics!!

Thank you SO MUCH for mentioning this. I'm finding out if I have shin splints later on this week and would have hated to have gone to a class just to find out that I'd have to worry about painful jumps.
  • mammasue1
    Options
    it is a great workout it works your whole body!!! you should try it
  • christina0089
    christina0089 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    :heart: Love, love LOVE Zumba!!
  • jenw2386
    Options
    I love zumba! Thats the only work out ive been doing for the past week & I already feel better about myself. I have more confidence & I can see the difference in the way my clothes fit. When I look in the mirror I dont think I look as flabby as before...I look more solid & I love it! I do zumba fitness for the wii!
  • AiryM
    AiryM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love Zumba! My instructor is high energy and I always leave her class drenched in sweat. It really does all depend on the instructor. If they are pumped and having a good time, so will you. =)

I don't have a heart rate monitor but I tracked calories with my nike sensor. I came in at about 476. I feel that's about accurate. It might be a little more but I sometimes like to under estimate my calories burned to I don't eat them,
  • mammasue1
    Options
    I have been taking Zumba for about a month and it is soo much fun. I made my best friend go with me and we just laugh at each other and have a ball.

About three classes in I was standing next to my buddies waiting for the doors to open along with about 25 women. The crowd was extremely quiet right as I said "I do my best ya know, but my CRD really shows in this class" I felt several people glance at me and step away slightly.. as if CRD is contagious. My friends looks at me curiously and says "CRD??" Yes, I responded:
    "CAUCASIAN RHYTHM DISORDER". :laugh:

Yeah, I crack myself up.

that is so true when it comes to me lol im gonna have to use this phrase!!!