Why do you wear a wedding band?

Options
AZTrailRunner
AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
Inspired by a concurrent thread about "Wearing wrist bands to indicate you are single", I'd like to know why YOU wear a wedding band (assuming you are married, of course)?

If you lived on a remote ranch where you didn't interact with other people very often, would you still wear one?

If you don't wear a wedding band, that's cool. I'm mostly curious to hear from those that do wear them.

Replies

• KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Sentimental value - the meaning of them, and they're pretty :)

I would wear mine if on a deserted island.
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    i guess because of the connection that it represents for me.....the sentiment of how i chose him and how he chose me....

no one else really notices, but I just hold it inside my heart..

and lets face it...one of us will go first...so this ring will always remain.....

such a thoughtful question, glad you asked.
  • Enforcer25
    Enforcer25 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Yes I would still wear it if I worked in a remote area. I like to wear it because of what it symbolizes, I'm proud to be married and not trying to hide that fact:)
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    It's a sign of stability, strength and fidelity.
    To me projects "off limits" and takes the monkey off my back when it comes to having to reject potential affection.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    An outward expression of my inner, public and legal commitment that I made to my husband. I am proud to be married and want to world to know of the commitment and covenant that my husband and I have with each other.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm married and I don't lol. Not because I don't want one, just cus I never had one :P... I don't need jewelry to indicate I'm married :D I have a piece of paper that says so...
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Sounds cornballish but I wear a wedding ring because it is a symbol of the eternal love I share with my spouse. She placed it on my finger on our wedding day and I feel naked without it.
  • kyrstensmom
    kyrstensmom Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    My wedding ring means a lot to me. It is a symbol of his commitment to me and mine to him. Plus...it has 21 diamonds on it and I love it.
  • ratellcm
    ratellcm Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Bliiing.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I never take mine off, regardless of anything going on or if there are people around me or not. It's for me, no one else. I slide it around for comfort or something to do, lol. All that said its sentimental and the only jewelry I always wear.
  • cjwolfjen
    cjwolfjen Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    To remind me that he loves me every day. Just as much as the day he put the band on my hand. It's a piece of him, I can carry with me always.
  • AZTrailRunner
    AZTrailRunner Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Respecting all of the answers so far, would you feel any less bonded to your mate if you didn't have an object to adorn your hand?

(mind you, I wore one for 15 years, so I'm not minimizing your feelings).
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I would wear mine as a symbol of our love and marriage. Problem is it is soooo big now that it goes flying off my hand. It is inherited from my grand-parents who were married more than 65 years, so I don't really want to lose it. I have to get it resized sometime but don't have the money right now.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    It's designed to show your commitment to your chosen one, and remind you of the vows you took.

Personally, I only have a (unique) engagement ring since I can't tolerate an actual wedding band to go along with my engagement ring.

Also, due to a skin condition that flares up when I wash my hands too often (or wash dishes by hand, which I do a lot), I don't wear it all the time. However, I have a band tattoo'd, but it doesn't go all the way around. I am thinking of hitting up my artist to get that done even though it probably won't turn out awesome.
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Respecting all of the answers so far, would you feel any less bonded to your mate if you didn't have an object to adorn your hand?

(mind you, I wore one for 15 years, so I'm not minimizing your feelings).

I've not had one the full 8yrs we've been married and I'm ok with it, I'd love one, but I'm ok with it.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I love mine because it's sparkly.

Seriously, I always wear it unless I'm working out or sleeping... it gets stuck in my hair when I sleep and I worry I'll bang it up when I workout.
  • lotuslion
    Options
    I wouldn't feel less bonded if I didn't wear it, but it's a symbol of that bond, of the love we share, of what we mean to each other. I have a tattoo symbolizing my parents for the same reason.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I wear mine because it's big and gorgeous ;) It means a lot to me that my husband got something so beautiful just for me, he had it made! I rarely ever take it off.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I'm not married, but I would likely wear one when I do marry. I like sparkly jewelry, what can I say? It honestly comes down to that. I want a pretty ring on my finger. I don't feel like it would strengthen my vows or commitment, or anything. I think if you need a ring to make you feel more committed, you might need to reexamine your relationship.
  • JamieSK
    JamieSK Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Would wear the ring no matter what; it's a reminder of the gift of myself to my husband and him to me in the covenant we made before God...marriage is the best thing that's ever happened to me; why would I want to hide it? :smile: