Why do you wear a wedding band?

Options

Replies

• Eleanorjanethinner
    Eleanorjanethinner Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Similar to others, my rings are a symbol of my commitment to my husband. I've recently been getting eczema from my wedding ring so I'm wearing my engagement ring (it's looser) and my 10 year wedding anniversary ring on the other hand. I do love my diamonds, almost as much as I love my husband! (kidding! :happy: )
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I would wear it if I was on a deserted island. I love the meaning of the ring. My husband picked it out himself and it means alot. The meaning of wearing it. And if anyone is like me I look and see if people are wearing them and I want people to see.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Inspired by a concurrent thread about "Wearing wrist bands to indicate you are single", I'd like to know why YOU wear a wedding band (assuming you are married, of course)?

If you lived on a remote ranch where you didn't interact with other people very often, would you still wear one?

If you don't wear a wedding band, that's cool. I'm mostly curious to hear from those that do wear them.

I wear one because I am married and for me is symbolizes that union. I would wear it even if no one was around. I would not wear it however if it was dangerous to do so. Like if I worked on a ranch or near moving equipment. I'm married but it isn't worth losing a finger.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Respecting all of the answers so far, would you feel any less bonded to your mate if you didn't have an object to adorn your hand?

(mind you, I wore one for 15 years, so I'm not minimizing your feelings).

would I feel less bonded - no, of course not....but what a thrill it is to have a ring- a gift that symbolizes so much iin our culture...

as a man, don't you want to be able to provide this for a woman?

"provide this for a woman?" What is this, 1950? We can buy our own damn rocks.
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I wear mine because it fits again, but I only wear it when I leave the house (if I remember). My husband can't find his, but it's not safe to wear in his job environment, anyway.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    To keep all the women from flirting with me, much better than beating them away with a stick!
  • DWilbanks
    DWilbanks Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I would wear mine no matter what.

It's a sybol of our love and comittment to each other.

True story, when we first married I didn't want to wear the ring at work, not because I wanted to represent that I was still available but because of where I work ( it's a huge warehouse) and was always afraid of damaging it on the bins at work. Well within 3 years of getting married my work moved into an even bigger warehouse. During the move we were working 16 hour days. One day I came home and was sitting with my husband at the kitchen counter while he fixed dinner and when I placed my hands on the counter, I realized that I didn't have my wedding band on my hand. I had lost it at work that day. Now because of the move I had my hands in 216 boxes(because I ran a report on ever box I touched that day the very next morning). I cried and cried. My husband drove me back to work, at 8:30 at night and helped me look all over for it, and even dug through the large outside container of trash to try to find it because he knew how upset I was. I put out an all points bullentin, but the ring never did show up. But you can never imagine the love I felt for my husband that night. He was willing to go to any lenght to make me happy.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    My reasons (in order of importance):

1) For me, it's a symbol of our bond. We both chose our rings together to be unique and we both wear them all the time. In a way, it symbolizes being connected.
    2) Traditionally, for me, it represents the commitment I have to my husband and our marriage.
    3) To wear it with pride in the relationship I have with my husband.
    3) Diamonds are just really really pretty!!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I wear one because (a) it represents the most important relationship in my life; (b) we designed it together the first time, and have redesigned it 3 times in the intervening 26 years; (c) I would not feel less married without it.

On our 11th anniversary, my husband asked if he could stop wearing his because, after 11 years, it still bothered him and he never did get used to it (he doesn't like any jewelry of any type, and could barely wear glasses because they annoyed him so much!) I said "yes of course" because (a) I want him to be happy and comfortable more than anything in the world, and if that ring bothered him more than it comforted him, then it was just an annoying object; (b) because I had heard it ping-ping-ping across the floor one too many times while he was mindlessly twiddling with it while working on a computer programming problem; and (c) because the gold in it became part of redesign #3!
  • robindina
    robindina Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I used my engagement ring for both. I love the ring and what it means.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Respecting all of the answers so far, would you feel any less bonded to your mate if you didn't have an object to adorn your hand?

would I feel less bonded - no, of course not....but what a thrill it is to have a ring- a gift that symbolizes so much iin our culture...

as a man, don't you want to be able to provide this for a woman?

"provide this for a woman?" What is this, 1950? We can buy our own damn rocks.

I wouldn't feel less bonded. My husband and I seriously had to debate whether we could afford rings or not. We almost didn't get them because, well, we were BROKE! Getting them was a good idea, though, and we're both very happy we did it. In our culture, having those rings means a lot--or at least it does to us. We would have wed without them, but being able to have them made it extra special. To be able to put the ring on his hand and have him put one on mine... The act of doing that, for me, really sealed the bond. My husband definitely felt obligated to be able to purchase us rings as the man... And I understood that, but we also understood that unless it was financially feasible, we would still be happy without them. We lucked out, though, and were able to purchase something we could both enjoy and cherish.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    it's kind of like a talisman to me. My husband is in the Navy so my ring and my Navy Wife necklace are my tangible links to him when he's away. He has a tattoo of a ring on his wedding ring finger for when he can't wear the real thing (due to training or whatever) and he also has his grandfather's ring to wear over the tattoo when he can. I think we'd both wear them even if in a remote location. It's kind of like a cross-- a physical reminder of something non-physical. As for if we didn't have them-- we'd probably have some other symbol of our connection to each other.
  • run4yourlife
    run4yourlife Posts: 379 Member
    Options

As much as I love the symbolism that a ring holds, it's not what makes you bonded to your mate. I wear mine on a regular basis, but I also take it off regularly to do things like wash dishes and lift weights, and it doesn't always make it back on my finger right away. My husband hasn't worn his hardly at all in our 12 years of marriage, mostly because of his line of work. If something unforseen happened, he could lose a finger as a result. His ring still looks brand new. It doesn't bother me that he doesn't wear it and I don't feel any different when mine is missing, but I must admit that the odd time we get dressed up to go out somewhere nice and he actually remembers to put it on, well, let's just say I find it to be pretty darn sexy! :P
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I never take mine off, regardless of anything going on or if there are people around me or not. It's for me, no one else. I slide it around for comfort or something to do, lol. All that said its sentimental and the only jewelry I always wear.

Basically this sums it up for me too. I was lucky enough to Marry my Best Friend..we will have been married 11 years tomorrow, and every day I still learn something new and different about him. Love him now more than when we exchanged our vows. I can remember seeing his ring on his hand while lying in bed on our wedding night...and thinking just how sexy and I found that! Love the man and our rings are a symbol to me of our bond and commitment to each other. Plus they are a version of the Irish Claddagh a sign of love, loyalty and friendship (we started out as friends and still are!). Lucky..Lucky...Me!!:heart:
  • Captain_Mal
    Captain_Mal Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    My husband bought it for me, lovingly picked it out so that's one reason I wear it. The other is that it serves as a beacon to all or most other men to keep trucking. It doesn't steer them all away though all of the time. It's usually the only ring I ever wear.

My husband doesn't wear his anymore. He got a tattoo in its place. You won't see me running out to get a wedding band tattoo but it's what he wanted to do.
  • jwhit31
    jwhit31 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I don't wear my wedding/ engagement ring. I haven't worn it all that much the last three years. It's not that I don't love my husband any less. It's just waaaaay to flashy and I'm afraid someone would chop my finger off for it or I might lose it somehow. He doesn't wear his either because or work.....doesn't bother me.
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Yes, i would. Cause its shiny and it sparkles. i like shiny things. :) Also I love my husband!! He is wonderful and I love him!
  • Cruz2Fit
    Cruz2Fit Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sentiments of most posting. Mine too is a symbol of our commitment...

Most of all, I'm happy to see all the happily married people speaking as to their bliss. It seems like nowadays all we hear is negativity about marriage. I've been married 14.5 years and feel so blessed to share this life with him, but also feel like that's not something to be shared. Why? Because everybody wants to hear gossip about a bad relationship, but few want to hear a married woman talk about how he is such a great man, lover, or whatever good qualities he may possess.

So there it is, I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I don't wear mine, and my husband doesn't wear his. I stopped wearing mine because I got fat; he's not a jewelry guy, so it was a silly purchase.

We're not going anywhere, and no one meeting us (and our spawn) comes to the conclusion that we're single...not even in the five years prior to our marriage.

Periodically, I like to wear a ring to show that I've got something girly going on. But it's rare.
  • minnesota
    minnesota Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    First off i love my diamond! I also love my husband and hate being hit on. I like to wear my to show others my heart is taken and also because of my husbands vows as he slipped the ring on my finger. If i was on a island i would still wear if u recall i love my diamond :)