Why do you wear a wedding band?

Options

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    I wear mine because I am proud to be married to my wonderful husband and I want the world to know it. It symbolizes the life-long commitment I have made and it reminds me of the fact that someone loves me so much that they are willing to spend the rest of their life with me :)

To answer your other question, no, I probably wouldn't if nobody ever saw me. In fact, I normally take my engagement ring and wedding band as soon as I get home! But I never ever go outside without it. Ok, I'm lying. I forgot it twice when I first got married and it was HORRIBLE lol
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Bliiing.
    shiny sparkling bling!
  • juliapurpletoes
    juliapurpletoes Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Respecting all of the answers so far, would you feel any less bonded to your mate if you didn't have an object to adorn your hand?

(mind you, I wore one for 15 years, so I'm not minimizing your feelings).

would I feel less bonded - no, of course not....but what a thrill it is to have a ring- a gift that symbolizes so much iin our culture...

as a man, don't you want to be able to provide this for a woman?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    Respecting all of the answers so far, would you feel any less bonded to your mate if you didn't have an object to adorn your hand?

I think since I told him from the get go I wanted something that could be mistaken for a paper weight, had he proposed without a ring, I really don't know what I would have said.....probably something like, "are you kidding" or "you're going to stop listening to me already" At least he knows I'm a materialistic snob and he loves me anyway ;)
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options

Honestly. I picked out and bought both of our bands. I got them from James Avery and they are simple. So, no. It wouldn't bother me. I bought mine to reflect my pride for us. That, to me makes it sentimental.
  • nakabi
    nakabi Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I wear mine as an outward symbol of the commitment we made to each other :) I'm proud to wear it and would wear it even if we were the only two people around :)
  • PegasusDeb
    PegasusDeb Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I'm not married, but we went looking & he kept picking out the BIG rocks! The gal at the store thought I was nuts cuz I kept going for the simpler style. If I had one, like my other jewelry it's gotta be tough because it will never come off! From working in a gravel pit to cleaning horse stalls, it's on me for good! (Ps... he picked out some VERY nice jewelry! I miss that! lol)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    I wear my wedding ring cuz it has 3 huge diamonds! They are a girls best friend......
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I love my wedding ring I feel naked without it. Though I don't wear it in the house at all, ever. It comes off as soon as I walk in the door.

I recently started at crossfit and haven't been wearing it there. I have been wondering if people there think I'm single. It feels weird.
  • PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options

I would miss it (I do love my ruby and my diamonds!) but not at all. My marriage isn't defined by a ring or by a piece of paper. It's defined by the incredible connection and the ever-growing loving my husband and I share and I don't need anything else. I really don't have to show it to anyone by wearing rings but I choose to just because I'm proud...and because mine are just so freaking pretty!! :tongue:
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Like it has been said earlier, BLING! I wear it in public to show that I am married and "off limits." I also just like to see the sparkle out of the corner of my eye, I'm not going to lie. It is a reminder to me of someone who loves me--when I'm staring at the keyboard trying to finish homework frantically, I'm reminded that no matter what, my husband will always love me :blushing: But on the same note, when I go to Honduras for mission work, or when I run in the "ghetto" part of our town, I don't wear it. I have a plain wedding band that I wear swimming, to Honduras, running in the "ghetto" etc. so that it still symbolizes my marriage but doesn't get attention I don't want or ruin my rings.
  • chefchazz
    Options

no. not at all. but they are the most precious items ive ever received. i love them and their meaning and i NEVER take them off.(except when i take them in for maintenance and cleaning)
  • nukehiker
    Options
    i wear mine because she says i need to....lol really I don't need to wear it to tell other people that I am married... plus not that i have lost weight i think i need to get it resized :) we have been married 9 years.
  • smketchum
    smketchum Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all the engagement ring was a gift from my husband, one that he gave me to show me that he loved me enough to want to spend the rest of his life with me. With me! Hopelessly flawed little ol' me. When we got married we exchanges matching wedding bands. Mine is engraved with "Jay's Heart" and our wedding date and his is engraved with, "Shannon's Heart" and our wedding date. When I put the rings on in the morning I am reminded that I have his heart with me all day....no matter if I have a crappy day at work or someone cuts me off on the interstate or I read that an old beloved friend died and I had to find out on Facebook, I have this wonderful man that loves me and gave me his heart and no matter what else happens I know that I have him and I am proud to wear his heart on my hand. Plus, my engagement ring is so pretty!
  • hatescows
    hatescows Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I do not wear a ring, but not by choice. It doesn't fit. I wore an anniversary ring in its place until the stone broke.

$200 to resize, and I already paid that once.

Another 15-20 pounds and I'll have one to wear again :)
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    i wear mine cause hell, that **** has a lot of diamonds in it and i never asked for that many diamonds and those things are hte ONLY nice thing i have and he put so much thought into them and time that even if they were CZ id wear them because he picked them out for me as a symbol of his love for me...and someone that takes that much pride and care deserves to show off that shes "taken"

and for a few years i had such bad eczema on my hands that i couldnt wear htem and the one time we went out on a "date" i put them on and my hand swelled up and i had to have them cut off - and since he took the time and money to get htem fixed, i bought expensive special cream so my hands dont swell like that again...he spent too much money on my one finger to ever take it for granted :)
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    Options
    I wear mine for the same reasons most people do... A symbol of our commitment and promises to each other. It rarely comes off! I waited 16 years to be his wife!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    1) it's purdy
    2) it was his grandmothers, i like knowing that we took our vows with a ring that came from a marriage like theirs
    3) it symbolizes our bond and commitment to each other, the life we're building, the experiences we've had
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options
    I don't...cuz I recently got divorced, lol.

I did always wear one though. And if/when I get married again I'll wear one again. I just like it as a symbol of the marriage and relationship. However, I totally don't think it's a necessity to the relationship. I do like the way that it's an obvious indicator of being unavailable though.
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    Options
    I wear mine because it was chosen specially for me, and it's symbolic of the commitment we made to each other. There have been times I have looked at that ring and the enormity of what it all means just about made me sick - not because I don't love my husband, but for all it represents. It is also an easily recognizable sign to others that I am bonded to another human being.

Right now I am so heavy I cannot wear my weddings rings and it bothers me. Yes, the bond is still there. But I want to put my wedding ring back on more than I can express. I wore it until it cut my circulation off and I cried when we removed it. It has nothing to do with the fact I think it's sparkly and beautiful, it's something my husband worked to pay for. They aren't necessary, but the effort he put into it was a real sacrifice at the time, and I always remember that.