Is nothing sacred anymore?

KatieJane83
KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/rudolph-red-nosed-reindeer-bullied/story?id=15114491

Ok, so I do understand where they're coming from, I really do. I work in a school, I know how terrible bullying can be. But can't they leave my treasured childhood favorites alone!? Rudolph is one of my fave Christmas tv specials!! Lol

Replies

• DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    A girl posted on facebook a few days ago they were thinking of banning all balls from schoolyards. I didn't read the article, but I think either a student, or parent took one to the face. Like, rubber balls, dodgeballs, baseballs,footballs......

wtf
  • ket_the_jet
    ket_the_jet Posts: 1,257 Member
    More disturbing is that when the mud comes off his nose, Rudolph's father buries his head saying, "I'm so ashamed!"
    -wtk
  • kekl
    kekl Posts: 382 Member
    Oh my gosh.

That is ridiculous. I mean, yes, a lot of characters in children's tv are bullied... but that happens in real life. It's not ideal, but it's the way the world is.

The story of Rudolph is saying that everyone is different and special and has their own niche and talents... that's a GOOD lesson I think...

Wow... Why does everything have to be so politically correct?
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,024 Member
    I thought that was the whole point of the story! Yes, roudoulf got bullied, and pushed around. What did he do? Manned up and became the most bad *kitten* reindeer of them all!

That used to be the way to deal with bullies, was to believe in yourself and stand up for your self. Now they tell the kids to go to the teacher. I hate that.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Don't even get me started on this *kitten*.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    They shouldn't ban it. When I was a kid watching that, I just enjoyed it.

As an adult, it's pretty disturbing, though. I mean, everyone in that movie, right down to Santa, is MEAN! lol I didn't notice it when I was a kid, though.
  • KenziesMomma11
    KenziesMomma11 Posts: 258 Member
    Oh so tired of everyone frantically trying to be "PC" because they are worried they will be attacked or sued....WE LIVE IN AMERICA PEOPLE!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Wow... Why does everything have to be so politically correct?

I really hate how politically correct everything is now...I don't think there is one politically correct idea I agree with, they always blow everything out of proportion.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    I thought that was the whole point of the story! Yes, roudoulf got bullied, and pushed around. What did he do? Manned up and became the most bad *kitten* reindeer of them all!

That used to be the way to deal with bullies, was to believe in yourself and stand up for your self. Now they tell the kids to go to the teacher. I hate that.

Amen
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Im so sick of this bull$#&t! Yeah, some kids get picked on. You will never stop it. I was teased horribly throughout my childhood, even by the fricking football jocks! I even had a shi##y family life. Did I go all emo or suicidal? No!
    I grew up and got the f@&k over it! Grow up people! Stop being so pc and worrying about " feelings".
    All these kids that get trophies just for showing up and who never get their feelings hurt are in for a real smack in the face from LIFE.
  • Booooo effing hooo. People are too damn sensitive anymore.

Maybe we should stop teaching history in schools too, you know, since countries have invaded other countries and conqured them. That's like bullying. Maybe we can re-write it that one country asked nicely if they can have the other country, and they said "Okay!".
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    I find this amusing as the story of Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer was written as a promotional gimmick for Montgomery Ward in the 1930's. I probably wouldn't introduce the story to my children since I never liked it because they were so mean to him. He doesn't actually do anything to overcome. Someone suddenly decides "hey, you're useful after all. We can like you." Ugh. I hate that story.
  • KatieJane83
    Booooo effing hooo. People are too damn sensitive anymore.

Maybe we should stop teaching history in schools too, you know, since countries have invaded other countries and conqured them. That's like bullying. Maybe we can re-write it that one country asked nicely if they can have the other country, and they said "Okay!".

LOL!

Love this
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    If we start sheltering children from everything they'll never build any character. In high school I was on every sports team. the girls on the volleyball team made my life pretty miserable - even putting thinly veilled jibes against me in the yearbook. I told my father I wanted to switch schools because of it and did he ever give me a tongue lashing (in a tough love way). He told me there are going to be people like that no matter where I go and I can't just run away from it. Called me a wimp too lol I'm glad he taught me that lesson. Made me tougher and trust me, no one can bully me now even if they tried. :smokin:
  • BuffyEat2Live
    BuffyEat2Live Posts: 327 Member
    I love Rudolph, but I have been picking apart that movie for years!

Seriously, "It's okay to be different as long as you're useful"?
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 417 Member
    My mom is a elementary school teacher and there are schoold in her district where kids can't RUN on the playground!!! Seriously? NO RUNNING?!?!?
  • I hate that story and never let my kids watch it. I think it sends a terrible message. It's not that Rudolph worked hard and believed in himself and overcame anything - it's that once they realized he was useful or something they used him. Kinda bad message for kids in general. And the meanness is pretty bad. Bullying is a huge issue in schools right now, it's not the same as back when I was a kid not that long ago and bullying meant you were called names on the playground or had your lunch money stolen. Now you are defamed over the internet for the whole school and beyond. I have a pre-teen daughter - trust me it's an issue.

However, having said all that - I figure no need to ban - just turn the t.v. off if you don't like it, as we choose to do!
  • KatieJane83
    My mom is a elementary school teacher and there are schoold in her district where kids can't RUN on the playground!!! Seriously? NO RUNNING?!?!?

This kind of crap makes me cry on the inside.
  • pearlsgonewild
    pearlsgonewild Posts: 54 Member

I agree.
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    A girl posted on facebook a few days ago they were thinking of banning all balls from schoolyards. I didn't read the article, but I think either a student, or parent took one to the face. Like, rubber balls, dodgeballs, baseballs,footballs......

wtf

It't called Dodge Ball for a reason. Come on people!