Is nothing sacred anymore?

Replies

• kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    We are raising a country of pansys...this is the price we pay
    In 5-10 years, we will see a backlash where studies will show how damaging overprotective helicopter parents have been to children and just like with the bully stuff, we'll overreact and go the other direction with wilderness camps and ways to "toughen" up our kids.

I'm going to be ahead of the curve and set up a consulting firm where parents can pay me to punch their kids in the face and yell at them.
  • I think it's a great message. Prove your self worth by working hard and promoting your strengths. That's the real world. If you work hard, people will naturally want you and gravitate to you. If you sit on your butt like a lump and playing the roll of a bullied victim, no one is going to want to use you for things. Pick yourself up, and move forward!
    I agree with that thought.. I just diasagree that the story portrays that

What GorillaNJ Said
    What? he strikes out into the wilderness with a dentist elf, fights a giant snow monster thing.. discovers an island of toys that he comes back to rescue... AFTER going back, facing his fears and fighting that monster again- saving his father, mother, and POA from certain death. THEN he saves Christmas with his blinged out nose! Rudolf is a straight up PIMP.
    You're talking about the movie. None of that is in the story book.

The thread is about the movie, not the book. Am I wrong?
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    I think it's a great message. Prove your self worth by working hard and promoting your strengths. That's the real world. If you work hard, people will naturally want you and gravitate to you. If you sit on your butt like a lump and playing the roll of a bullied victim, no one is going to want to use you for things. Pick yourself up, and move forward!
    I agree with that thought.. I just diasagree that the story portrays that

What GorillaNJ Said
    What? he strikes out into the wilderness with a dentist elf, fights a giant snow monster thing.. discovers an island of toys that he comes back to rescue... AFTER going back, facing his fears and fighting that monster again- saving his father, mother, and POA from certain death. THEN he saves Christmas with his blinged out nose! Rudolf is a straight up PIMP.
    You're talking about the movie. None of that is in the story book.

The thread is about the movie, not the book. Am I wrong?

No sir, you are correct!
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    In 5-10 years, we will see a backlash where studies will show how damaging overprotective helicopter parents have been to children and just like with the bully stuff, we'll overreact and go the other direction with wilderness camps and ways to "toughen" up our kids.

I'm going to be ahead of the curve and set up a consulting firm where parents can pay me to punch their kids in the face and yell at them.

Genius!

*cough*need a business partner?*cough*
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    I read the article, and this comment below it was so good, I thought I would share it:

I'm 23 years old and grew up with these classics! I find it very hard to believe that Rudolph, Charlie Brown, and the Grinch are significant factors in any kind of Christmas special, whose main goal is to convey the true meaning of Christmas: Rudolph saves Christmas and helps the misfit toys find loving homes, Charlie Brown discovers the meaning of Christmas through a little insight from Linus who recites the Scripture regarding the birth of Jesus, and "the Grinch's small heart" is filled with the warmth of Chrismas joy and the true meaning of Christmas shines through him. He returns Christmas to Who-Ville and celebrates with the Whos. Charles ****ens' "Christmas Carol" is another film/novel whose main character, Ebenezer Scrooge, is the biggest bully of them all, yet he is redeemed by the joy of Christmas at the end of the novel. Why is this man spending so much time criticizing these films, when the end result conveys the redemptive power of love and family found during Christmas?Professor Giuliani, find something better to do with your time.

Hello!

This! That pretty much sums it up.
  • april_beth
    april_beth Posts: 616 Member

OMFG!!! best comment ever!!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    I thought that was the whole point of the story! Yes, roudoulf got bullied, and pushed around. What did he do? Manned up and became the most bad *kitten* reindeer of them all!

That used to be the way to deal with bullies, was to believe in yourself and stand up for your self. Now they tell the kids to go to the teacher. I hate that.

Amen to that! There is a line between downright evil harassment and teasing.... and it's that mostly harmless teasing that makes people become bad *kitten*.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Charles ****ens
    :laugh: Damn you, auto-censor!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Oh my gosh.

That is ridiculous. I mean, yes, a lot of characters in children's tv are bullied... but that happens in real life. It's not ideal, but it's the way the world is.

The story of Rudolph is saying that everyone is different and special and has their own niche and talents... that's a GOOD lesson I think...

Wow... Why does everything have to be so politically correct?

No, the message is that, if you don't confirm to mainstream society's values, you will be shunned, ridiculed, bullied, and your parents will say you are an embarrassment.

UNLESS.... it turns out you can help corporations continue making profits--then they will temporarily pretend to like you until you have fulfilled your purpose.

#occupyrudolph

<satire intended-mostly>
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    I have 5 kids - all boys.

And I taught them all how to deal with a bully.
    ATTACK!

And they all have at various time when confronted by these vermin. All of my boys have been given hand-to-hand combat training, and they are taught to use it when the time is right. After a few such episodes, no more bullying for the Clerici boys. The exploitive cowards found easier marks to push around - little weak kids.

I wish every parent strength trained and taught fighting skills, but that's not reality. To bad for them.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I thought that was the whole point of the story! Yes, roudoulf got bullied, and pushed around. What did he do? Manned up and became the most bad *kitten* reindeer of them all!

That used to be the way to deal with bullies, was to believe in yourself and stand up for your self. Now they tell the kids to go to the teacher. I hate that.

Absolutely! And that's why Rudolph was my role model growing up! He made me proud to be a misfit. :smile:

It's also what I love about the Harry Potter series. He was sometimes ostracized for his abilities and history, but in the end, he was the hero of the entire wizarding world.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Like I always say, some people love nothing more than to be offended and go out of their way to seek offence wherever they can.
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    yes I hate this movie...its so mean!

sorry guys Santa is an *kitten*!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    A girl posted on facebook a few days ago they were thinking of banning all balls from schoolyards. I didn't read the article, but I think either a student, or parent took one to the face. Like, rubber balls, dodgeballs, baseballs,footballs......

wtf

Yeah she is referring to a school here in Toronto. A mother complained after a kid was hit in the head with a soccer ball. The school banned all hard balls, the only balls allowed were sponge balls lol. It made international headlines, even SNL did a sketch about it. So many parents complained though so they held a meeting and tennis balls are allowed again but larger balls need to be signed out until they make a permanent decision. But I guess the code of conduct has always limited the use of hard balls at this school cause the playground space is small and a lot of children get hit.
  • cabaray
    cabaray Posts: 971 Member
    My mom is a elementary school teacher and there are schoold in her district where kids can't RUN on the playground!!! Seriously? NO RUNNING?!?!?
    And this comes from the same types that complain because kids aren't getting enough exercise...It's recess, a break from school to burn off energy...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

I don't know, I used to agree with you until my 5-year-old started getting bullied. A kid that young doesn't have the emotional skills to understand what it means to stand up for herself. Kids that age see things in black and white, right and wrong, no gray areas. My kid is a rule-follower, and she knows that it's against the rules to tattle, and it's also against the rules to hit or be mean to someone. For adults, we know there are exceptions to these rules, but for her 5-year-old brain, it means she's not allowed to tell the teacher or stand up for herself when someone knocks her down on the playground or calls her a baby because she's short. So yeah, I think it's important to teach kids to stand up for themselves, but when it starts this young, that's a hard lesson for them to understand.

I am sorry your daughter is being bullied... but isn't it best for her to learn how to deal with it now at 5... then use that lesson the rest of her life?

No because 5 yr olds don't have the behavioral or cognitive ability to "deal with it". You might as well ask her to solve calculus equations. Here's another plan: How about asking the 5 yr old bullies and their parents to "deal with it"? Why do they get a pass?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Let's keep our kids at home, under glass, so they can't be exposed to any potential controversy. The turn them loose as adults and watch them fail.

I can't believe what some people get their panties in a bunch over.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member

No because 5 yr olds don't have the behavioral or cognitive ability to "deal with it". You might as well ask her to solve calculus equations. Here's another plan: How about asking the 5 yr old bullies and their parents to "deal with it"? Why do they get a pass?

:heart: :flowerforyou:

I think one of the things people don't understand about bullying is that it doesn't actually "toughen up" the kid being bullied. It just affects their self-esteem negatively. Even if they do stand up for themselves, that causes a new set of problems. It's exacerbated when it starts at such a young age, before a child has had a chance to develop his/her self-image. A 15-year-old who has never had self-esteem problems can learn to stand up for himself, no problem -- but he's probably not getting picked on in the first place because he's not an easy target. A 5-year-old doesn't have the same emotional skills, and isn't developmentally capable of learning them yet. I'd love for my daughter to stand up for herself, but it's not part of her skill set right now. So we have to approach the problem in other ways rather than asking a child to just suck it up and deal.
  • fit4mom
    fit4mom Posts: 1,352 Member
    I highly doubt those cartoons are causing bullying. Or that removing them will remove bullying. I know that the bullying, if any on Rudolph, always tugged at my heart as blatantly wrong and never caused me to want to bully. Even adults bully. They are looking for the easy answer because time and time again the schools don't want to deal with it. For one the schools are over crowded and for 2 their not aloud to really discipline. I have family in the school system as teachers and one of the biggest problems is the parents who truly believe the rules do not apply to their kids. That is not all parents. But the few ruin it for the many. Especially when the principals have an agenda and I've known a few a time or 2 that did. They want to pass the blame instead of conquering the problem head on. The kids know they can get away with it so they do. It's human nature.
  • Let's keep our kids at home, under glass, so they can't be exposed to any potential controversy. The turn them loose as adults and watch them fail.

I can't believe what some people get their panties in a bunch over.

BUT THE POOR REINDEER WAS BULLIED! :angry: