This person gain muscle or just lose weight?

Jeff92se
Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
fat-loss-jones.jpg

It's from some sensational weight loss site but it shows my point.

I'd thnk alot of people would think this person gained muscle. But to me, it looks like he just leaned out.

Replies

• 3GKnight
    3GKnight Posts: 203
    Yeah, he's got some shoulder muscles in the before. He's probably got some muscles under there.
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member
    No. You don't just lose weight and there's muscle there.
    He will have built that muscle during his weight loss. It wasn't just 'there' under a layer of fat.

That isn't how it works.
  • Jeff92se
    He will have built that muscle during his weight loss. It wasn't just 'there' under a layer of fat.

That isn't how it works.

I didn't say that was how it works. I was a question of this person looked like he "gained" muscle or not. Key statement is "looks like he gained". Not actually gained.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,519 Member
    Look at his traps in the before picture, he either was already doing some lifting or he has a naturally muscular physique
  • Jeff92se
    Right. It's hard to see progress as some wlll lean out and think the muscles that now show are "new". But sometimes that isn't the case.
  • TheDoctor90

That isn't how it works.

I didn't say that was how it works. I was a question of this person looked like he "gained" muscle or not. Key statement is "looks like he gained". Not actually gained.

But from the way you've worded your OP it makes it sound like he's just shed fat and that muscle is there. He must have been weight lifting during the weight loss.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Well whatever he did he looks fit and healthy now. :love:
  • Jeff92se

That isn't how it works.

But from the way you've worded your OP it makes it sound like he's just shed fat and that muscle is there. He must have been weight lifting during the weight loss.

Right. He didn't gain necessarily. Just leaned out to show the muscle he already had. Which goes to show that some here confuse leaning out to gaining muscle.

On the other side of the coin, it's difficult to tell if one has gained or not. If one is losing fat, your measurements might actually go down even if you manage to put on muscle during the process
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    looks like a combination to me. :3
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Look at his traps in the before picture, he either was already doing some lifting or he has a naturally muscular physique

^ This.

I would suspect he gained no muscle mass on his cut, but he very obviously was lifting while overweight. You don't get traps and arms like that by sitting on the couch.
  • Elisirmon
    Elisirmon Posts: 273 Member
    Most people would be amazed how much muscle they have under the fat, I know alot of obese people that have very strong biceps, calf muscles and glutes. Plus you can tone muscle but to build it you have to consume huge amount of calories and be lifting several hours a day to accumalate bulk...Anywho I perfer my men with natural muscle tone not bulk muscle.
  • mmuzzatti
    mmuzzatti Posts: 704 Member
    So did he have a tummy tuck too? Look at the after on the belly button it looks like it's a little tight. Really he would have loose skin so where did it go?
  • Just because he was probably weight lifting while he was losing weight does not mean that he gained muscle. The muscle was already there. By weight lifting and losing weight in a healthy way he was able to retain the muscle that was already there. It is the same misconception most people have about abs. You already have the ab muscles there, it is a matter of shredding the fat to show the muscle. Good post Jeff.
  • Jeff92se
    Actually the site it came from implied he just dieted and did "toning" exercises. No heavy lifting
  • TheDoctor90
    So those saying the muscle is already there under all the fat, suppose he just did cardio, would he see that muscle once he shed the fat?
  • Sidesteal
    Just because he was probably weight lifting while he was losing weight does not mean that he gained muscle. The muscle was already there. By weight lifting and losing weight in a healthy way he was able to retain the muscle that was already there. It is the same misconception most people have about abs. You already have the ab muscles there, it is a matter of shredding the fat to show the muscle. Good post Jeff.

^ And this. Good post.
  • Sidesteal
    So those saying the muscle is already there under all the fat, suppose he just did cardio, would he see that muscle once he shed the fat?

Definitely no, because he would lose some of that muscle by cutting w/o lifting.
  • TheDoctor90
    Actually the site it came from implied he just dieted and did "toning" exercises. No heavy lifting

I'm not sure what difference it makes, whether he 'gained' or not, but I call BS on 'toning' exercises.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Exactly! There are plenty of guys (& gals) that work out a ton and can be tremendously strong and it's hard to tell them from typical overweight folk cuz of the layer of fat on top. Tons of powerlifters look .... just fat. But they have a great muscle base underneath. Many bodybuilders don't look all that impressive until they're doing their cutting phase (if they bulk the traditional way). Good comparison, OP.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    A few things:

1. Remember the pic on the left is considered obese if not MORBIDLY obese which leads to #2.
    2. You can use excessive fat stores AS CALORIES and put SOME muscle mass on.
    3. It's obvious he was training even on the left picture.
    4. How do we know he didn't lean out, then bulk, then lean out again?

Does the site show a progressive timeline?

There's lots of factors that could play into this. Regardless he looks good.