This person gain muscle or just lose weight?

Replies

• Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    So those saying the muscle is already there under all the fat, suppose he just did cardio, would he see that muscle once he shed the fat?

Definitely no, because he would lose some of that muscle by cutting w/o lifting.

He did "toning" work. http://www.fatvanish.com/ Like I said, it was some sensational weight loss site.

It's almost impossible to say he would't have looked like that. Genetics come into play here.

If you had two twins and one did this and one did that, perhaps you could say one would be slightly more musclar after the cut
  • stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Without meaning to be negative, I would guess that perhaps he even lost some muscle mass in dieting (cutting), he looked like a very muscular guy to me in the first photo.

Having said all of that, he definitely looks far better, ripped and healthier in the second photo.

Its a bit of an inspiration to me actually as the before photos probably looks a little like me (ok, I'm probably a tad less big lol).
  • It is possible to look like this with only doing cardio but it would take a perfect diet and an exact calorie deficit so that you are only using fat as energy. If you lose too quickly as everyone does, then the body will break down the muscle as well as fat to use as energy.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    My guess is this guy was an athlete that got chubby over a year or two, so he still had a lot of lean mass to work with.
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    My guess is this guy was an athlete that got chubby over a year or two, so he still had a lot of lean mass to work with.

^^ This too.
  • Jeff92se
    A few things:

1. Remember the pic on the left is considered obese if not MORBIDLY obese which leads to #2.
    2. You can use excessive fat stores AS CALORIES and put SOME muscle mass on.
    3. It's obvious he was training even on the left picture.
    4. How do we know he didn't lean out, then bulk, then lean out again?

Does the site show a progressive timeline?

There's lots of factors that could play into this. Regardless he looks good.

We have to make some assumptions here. But why would someone have to be obese in order to gain muscle while at a calorie deficit? To me, I think only elite athletes or very low BF people truely could not gain while dieting. But that's a diff topic.
  • Jeff92se

Right. Question is "does he look like he gained".
  • joejccva71
    A few things:

1. Remember the pic on the left is considered obese if not MORBIDLY obese which leads to #2.

We have to make some assumptions here. But why would someone have to be obese in order to gain muscle while at a calorie deficit? To me, I think only elite athletes or very low BF people truely could not gain while dieting. But that's a diff topic.

Because you cannot gain new muscle tissue on a calorie deficit. The calories have got to come from somewhere.

Unless you are brand spanking new to weight lifting, and even then it's minimal gains.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    No. You don't just lose weight and there's muscle there.
    He will have built that muscle during his weight loss. It wasn't just 'there' under a layer of fat.

That isn't how it works.

Why must he "have built that muscle during his weight loss"?

It's not possible he had it before, under that fat, and kept it doing the same routine? As others have pointed out, you can see some muscle there already.

For all we know, he kept his exactly same strength training routine, and merely changed his diet, and with lack of skin hanging, must have taken awhile.
  • Jeff92se
    A few things:

Because you cannot gain new muscle tissue on a calorie deficit. The calories have got to come from somewhere.

Unless you are brand spanking new to weight lifting.

If the calories have to come from somewhere and if an obese person has those calories to spare, why can't someone with less an an obese bodyfat % have fat to spare to gain muscle? (while on a calorie deficit)

I see the term "only if you are obese". What is obese? What bodyfat % do you draw the line at? Generally speaking, is it. 15%? 25%, 45%, 65%..other?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member

Unless you are brand spanking new to weight lifting, and even then it's minimal gains.

That doesn't even make sense.

Of course you can gain muscle on calorie deficit. As long as you are eating enough of those calories as protein to still build muscle, it just means less fat and less carbs when and where you don't need them.

Every single study comparing weight loss between just diet or diet and exercise or exercise alone shows muscle mass gain while losing weight. Obviously calorie deficit state.
  • Jeff92se
    I was going to use myself as an example but after reading this, I would fall into #2. I've trained before.

http://stronglifts.com/4-ways-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat/

But I'd still want to know the %bodyfat line for gain while Obese
  • joejccva71

Of course you can gain muscle on calorie deficit. As long as you are eating enough of those calories as protein to still build muscle, it just means less fat and less carbs when and where you don't need them.

Every single study comparing weight loss between just diet or diet and exercise or exercise alone shows muscle mass gain while losing weight. Obviously calorie deficit state.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,900 Member
    fat-loss-jones.jpg

It's from some sensational weight loss site but it shows my point.

I'd thnk alot of people would think this person gained muscle. But to me, it looks like he just leaned out.
    He did just lean out. And his arms are smaller in the after pic. The muscle has always been there. Cool thread.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    He will have built that muscle during his weight loss. It wasn't just 'there' under a layer of fat.

That isn't how it works.
    Everyone HAS muscle under fat. How do you think we move around?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Most people would be amazed how much muscle they have under the fat, I know alot of obese people that have very strong biceps, calf muscles and glutes. Plus you can tone muscle but to build it you have to consume huge amount of calories and be lifting several hours a day to accumalate bulk...Anywho I perfer my men with natural muscle tone not bulk muscle.
    Think about it. If you had to carry around an extra 50-100lbs a day, your muscles are getting a workout whether you see them or not.

IDEA Fitness member
  • joejccva71

See its posts like this that end up getting me strikes.

Please do your research first before posting this garbage.

There are 3 ways to build muscle on a calorie deficit:

1. Using excessive fat stores as energy/calories to add some mass. (Minimal gains)

(And to answer Jeff's post, there isnt a determined bodyfat% because it depends on other factors such as height, genetics, etc. People are considered morbidly obese after 28% bodyfat or so I presume..atleast for men.)

2. If you are brand new to lifting or you are reintroduced to lifting, then you can obtain MINIMAL gains.

3. Steroids

Other than those three ways, you cannot build new muscle tissue on a calorie deficit. It's just not possible. Lyle Mcdonald, Alan Aragon, Martin Berkhan will all back this up. New tissue needs energy to grow, energy is calories, and the calories have got to come from somewhere. You still have to consume enough protein in ratio for your LBM but you need to eat the calories in excess of what you burn (TDEE).
  • ninerbuff
    Many bodybuilders don't look all that impressive until they're doing their cutting phase (if they bulk the traditional way).
    This would be me.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
  • TheDoctor90
    TheDoctor90 Posts: 461 Member

That isn't how it works.
    Everyone HAS muscle under fat. How do you think we move around?

IDEA Fitness member

But not that level of muscle surely?
    Otherwise everyone over weight would shed and see these awesome abs.
    Clearly he's worked for his muscles, they didn't just magically appear when he cut his weight.
  • ninerbuff
    But not that level of muscle surely?
    Otherwise everyone over weight would shed and see these awesome abs.
    Clearly he's worked for his muscles, they didn't just magically appear when he cut his weight.
    Ever seen a 15 year old with abs? Why? Because of low body fat and not because he worked out and trained super seriously.
    Get body fat low enough and you'll see abs.

IDEA Fitness member