How many calories does everyone eat a day?

Options

Replies

• solpwr
    solpwr Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Netting about 2,300, at maintenance. Will go to 1,800 Net between jan and may.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    3k and having a hard time staying under it.
  • rovernio
    rovernio Posts: 157
    Options
    2100 caloried with lots of protein i also lift weighs so i cant go to low
  • SlinkyPinkyBunsOfSteel
    Options
    1200 - 1600 calories a day.:drinker:

• amylovescupcakes
    amylovescupcakes Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories a day. Unless I feel like I'm famished, then I'll eat something to push it past the 1400. I also really watch my cholesterol and my saturated fat. I eat a lot of fresh stuff now. So weird compared to the two 20pc chicken mcnuggets I used to single handedly scarf in a 30 minute period. Or the time I went to the Big Texan to eat the 72oz steak. (I got about 40oz down.) I haven't been able to do that in years. Thanksgiving made me bitter. I was full after one plate. LAME! But every other day I feel amaaaazing! And healthy. And all that jazz.
  • cowlover22
    cowlover22 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Regaurdless of how much you weigh you shouldnt go below 1300 cals.not good for your body. i understand about tge medication.I take 23 pills with breakfast and dont want to eat the rest of the day..i also have an eating disorder so that doesnt help any. on a good day I get in around 1800-2000 cals. not so good days are around 500 cals:ohwell:
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I can range from 500 calories up to 4500. And that, ladies and gents, is why you should not deprive yourself of food long-term, because you end up with an eating disorder and getting into a binge-starve cycle. I regret limiting myself to 1000 calories for months on end, I wish I'd eaten 1500 and just stayed normal.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    For those who don't know, "ednos" means eating disorder not otherwise specified. This means that she has an eating disorder that is diagnosed and is using the diagnosis as her reason to continue the disordered behavior.

Dear poster, please use your diagnosis as a wake up call and seek recovery. A very low calorie diet is even more dangerous for you than it is for others.
    It depends on the day for me. I usually eat between 600-900 calories. Today, I ate more food than usual and ate 1180.

Also please do not do the above ^^ this is not healthy

The reason I eat so little is because of my ednos.

Still doesn't justify it IMO

When someone is struggling mentally to eat more than 900 calories this kind of comment probably isn't going to help them :/
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options

When someone is struggling mentally to eat more than 900 calories this kind of comment probably isn't going to help them :/
    Eating disorders are a mental illness, the person eating 600-900 calories isn't stupid, they're sick. Of course an eating disorder justifies eating very little. Eating disorders are not ok - but you need to get over the fact that they exist and nobody chooses to have one. I expect that the poster with EDNOS would *love* to be 'normal' in her eating patterns, but then so would someone with bipolar love to not be bipolar, so would someone with Alzheimer's love not to have Alzheimer's...IT'S A MENTAL ILLNESS, NOT A FREAKING LIFESTYLE CHOICE. Nobody is trying to justify eating little through having an eating disorder, it's just a fact of life, and the EDNOS sufferer was just answering the question. The fact is that there are a lot of people on MFP not following the recommended calorie intake, and just because some choose to participate in discussions honestly and openly they shouldn't be shot down for that.
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I just raised mine from 1200 to 1450 and trying to get better about eating my exercise calories back.
  • jimmie25
    jimmie25 Posts: 266
    Options
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    I just raised mine from 1200 to 1450 and trying to get better about eating my exercise calories back.
    hooray!!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    hooray!!

Yes, hooray! Had an awesome new friend help me with this! :)
  • 4thehardman
    4thehardman Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I am on medication that makes it hard for me to even eat 900 calories a day.
    Im 268 pounds so I dont think i need as much, i also dont do very much activity wise.
    I was just wondering what was the optimal calorie intake for you to be successful, and if you had to experiment with different amounts to find what worked for your body before loosing the weight most effectivley.
    Medication aside, you must have at some point been eating more than 900 calories a day to get so fat in the first place. You need to eat more if you want to stand a chance to lose the excess weight. What happens for example when you lose 10lbs and your body hits a plateau? Are you then going to drop to 800?`700? You need to change it up to keep your body guessing and certainly you can afford the occasional low calorie day but you need to balance that by having the majority of your meals at your reccommended intake amount.
    I started out heavier than you, I can't tell you the number of times I've lost 7-10lbs on a fad diet like 900 cals a day and then fallen early. I eat around 1400 a day and exercise for 30-40 minutes a day with one rest day/calorie spike day each week. I have lost 22lbs in the last 50 days and 2.5inches off my waist.
    What medication are you on? I'm curious because there must be an alternative that had you eating more than 900 calories at some point.

Lally
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    hooray!!

Yes, hooray! Had an awesome new friend help me with this! :)

awww, shucks.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Eating disorders are a mental illness, the person eating 600-900 calories isn't stupid, they're sick. Of course an eating disorder justifies eating very little. Eating disorders are not ok - but you need to get over the fact that they exist and nobody chooses to have one. I expect that the poster with EDNOS would *love* to be 'normal' in her eating patterns, but then so would someone with bipolar love to not be bipolar, so would someone with Alzheimer's love not to have Alzheimer's...IT'S A MENTAL ILLNESS, NOT A FREAKING LIFESTYLE CHOICE. Nobody is trying to justify eating little through having an eating disorder, it's just a fact of life, and the EDNOS sufferer was just answering the question. The fact is that there are a lot of people on MFP not following the recommended calorie intake, and just because some choose to participate in discussions honestly and openly they shouldn't be shot down for that.

I think Sunshine was very aware of the young lady's ED status, and made a direct, appropriate confrontation to her faulty thinking. Part of the treatment that she will receive will be directed at challenging her views. When eating disordered thinking is presented in the forums, I believe it appropriate that it is challenged. If someone with bipolar disorder continued to live in a manic state, the most appropriate thing to do would be to challenge the benefits of it.

Neither mental illness or addiction are a choice; I agree with you 100% on this. Readiness to change, however, in some ways, is. An individual has to be ready to make different choices to change the way the illness impacts their lives. I had some interaction with this youngs lady, and my guess would be that she is still precontemplative. Her responses lead me to believe that she is in treatment because someone else is requiring her to do it. I could be very wrong, but based on her responses, I don't get the feeling that she is ready for change.

I live daily with mental illness, and I accept the personal responsibility that I have for my mental health. Based on your posts/responses, I would guess that you are making a conscious decision to work towards your own progressive control over your mental illness. I don't think confrontation in anyway discounts the lack of control over the illness, I think it has the possibility of being a way that someone might begin to consider if they might need help.
  • anewme99
    Options
    900 is too low-no matter how much you weight when you restrict calories that much forces your body into starvation mode and it retains every bit of energy (ie food) that you give it. Start with 1200-1400 calories per day and drink NO LESS than 2-3 quarts of water every day to flush all the fat and toxins out!
    exercise is essential -even if it means 10 mins of walking and working your way up from there
    good luck!
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options

The problem with what the above poster did (and I saw her do a couple of days ago) is that she simply states "I eat 800 calories" in posts like this. What she should say is "I eat 800 but I have an eating disorder. I don't recommend anyone else try that." By not qualifying her statement she might confuse people and make them think it is okay to eat that low. She doesn't state she has an eating disorder and is trying to recover in her profile or anywhere. I fully support people who are trying to recover. I've seen, through a MFP friend of mine, how hard of a struggle it can be. So, yeah, it pisses me off when I see someone who doesn't try and/or exhibits behavior that seems to promote eating disorder levels.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I eat 1300 a day. I'm 5"7 and 156lbs
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    About 1560 a day. I've been thinking about increasing that just a bit more to see if that helps.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!