Deleting friends?

Options

Replies

• runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I have only deleted a few people mostly because of absence and/ or never supporting back.
    1 was because I just can't deal with the ED thing at all. I apologise if that sounds really terrible, but it also triggers stuff in my brain and I need positive people around me who are truly trying to make their life better by EATING good food and MOVING their bodies.

I can support people who are in recovery. I just can't support people who, in my opinion, don't want to get better. If I'm an a-hole for saying that so be it.
  • crysmcd1
    Options
    i dont make it a point to check my friends list to see if i've been deleted, and wouldnt delete someone for inactivity simply because if and when they come back they will need the support. people go through phases, periods of eating out of control, periods when they are "gung-ho" about eating right. they need our support through good times and in bad. so, that being said, i'd never delete anyone, nor would i judge someone if they decided to delete me. a common goal is what brings us here, we take different routes to get there but hopefully we're all making progress to meeting our fitness/dietary goals. :)
  • N_BEAST_MODE_24_7
    N_BEAST_MODE_24_7 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I prefer quality over quantity! I can't interact with 100+ friends, therefore I prefer a small number of friends that are truely dedicated to working out and helping others. I'm not trying to be another number on someone's friendlist, I'm trying to be a supportive friend that will give you 150% while helping you achieve your goal...if I can't get that in return.....PEACE!!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I delete after about a month of no interaction or lack of logging in. I don't want to just collect friends I want to support and be supported. I like being supportive and my time is valuable, so I want to use my time for those that are serious and their goals do not figure in it for me so much as their dedication to whatever their goal is.
    We are going to have bad days, the idea is to string more good than bad together, but at some point I have to draw a line so I can concentrate on those folks that are getting it done and still trying even when it's not going well. I do keep those that I know are going through something pretty difficult, or are on a long vacation.
    Good luck to all and I hope you find the circle of friends that work for you.
  • nk17
    nk17 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    So far my friends list is small enough to be manageable. I've deleted a couple of people because they didn't return and I got tired of x may need some encouragement signs. Can't encourage much if they don't show up. So I send them a message that says I'm cutting you, but if you come back and are active, feel free to send me another request. I figure most people deserve a second shot. I always check people out that send a friend request for weirdness or rudeness and so far, I seem to have made sound judgments.
  • nosugarcoating
    nosugarcoating Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have only deleted a few people mostly because of absence and/ or never supporting back.
    1 was because I just can't deal with the ED thing at all. I apologise if that sounds really terrible, but it also triggers stuff in my brain and I need positive people around me who are truly trying to make their life better by EATING good food and MOVING their bodies.

I can support people who are in recovery. I just can't support people who, in my opinion, don't want to get better. If I'm an a-hole for saying that so be it.
    I absolutely agree, I'll be your a-hole buddy! :)
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    If i dont here from them, get no feed back, no encouragement, nada, i delete them.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    WELL SAID !!!!!

uote]
    I prefer quality over quantity! I can't interact with 100+ friends, therefore I prefer a small number of friends that are truely dedicated to working out and helping others. I'm not trying to be another number on someone's friendlist, I'm trying to be a supportive friend that will give you 150% while helping you achieve your goal...if I can't get that in return.....PEACE!!
    [/quote]
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I delete A-holes.

Bahahaha! Yes. This. And really really long absences, with no response to a message regarding the absence.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I delete A-holes.

Yup. That's the only reason I delete anyone.
  • Nikkiray32
    Options
    But what about people who have opposite goals? Or people who want to lose weight yet eat crap in their diary? People with ED's?

Some of you have the most intense reasons for deleting people. Do you cut people out of your lives this easily as well? I am not trying to be mean but let's be realistic. Deleting people because they were absent three to six days???? What if they are on vacation, or loss internet, or better yet they are down and out or embarassed by the results they are/ are not getting??? Some of you are literally watching every post someone makes in forums and if you don't like their opinion you delete them? No one should have to tolerate ignorance or rudeness. Hopefully, you will allow persons of different mindsets to be around you. Weightloss isn't about just lossing weight, it's also about growing and learning. I understand the give and take of supporting your friends and them supporting you. However; don't become a co-dependent. If a person doesn't mesaage you constantly or comment on your post regularly shouldn't be life or death. It takes TIME for relationships to form!!

But what about people who have opposite goals? I love having a variety of people around me. It helps me see things from every aspect. I never want to be close minded.
    Or people who want to lose weight yet eat crap in their diary? No one is perfect. Fact is the heavier you are the more calories your will get , which means more room for " extra's'. When I was on WW, that was the motto: Eat what you want and lose weight. Some people need to be educated, some are trying, and some don't care. Everyone is different , get over it.
    People with ED's: I wouldn't personally freind a person with an ED. If they freinded me I would accept. I would encourage them to be healthy. Not just in eatting, but mentally and emotionally. ED aren't just people underweight but people overwieght and binging.

I love the support I get from people. Expecially from my boyfriend, friends. However; at the end of the day : It's up to me whether I will succeed or not.
    I would only delete someone for being rude, making racists comments, and/or ignoring my inbox messages.
  • sarabig2fit
    sarabig2fit Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    i delete friends if they spew annoying *kitten* or all they talk about is drama in their life is and it never has nothing to do with fitness/health. i delete them if when i look through my friends they haven't logged on for 3 days and they don't talk to me often.
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    If I never mssg or interact with the person after so long I delete them. I prefer quality over quantity.

Same here. Said the exact same thing in another topic.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I never delete people for being absent - we all have real lives, and most of us have temporary periods where Mfp can become a bit of an effort.

I only delete when they do something that would make it hypocritical to carry on being their 'friend', such as friend someone I despise, (not many like that on Mfp), or they fall out with another friend I may be more interactive with, or perhaps they express an extremist view I don't approve of.

I also dislike people who fill my home page with inane babble, or repeatedly tell other users it's okay to pork out and let yourself go - because sometimes it is, usually it isn't, and being nice to someone just so they'll continue to like you is not what the Mfp community is about, it's about respect, support, and education. (And messing around in the Chit-chat forum if you want to).

So to any of my friends reading this don't worry, if you're still here you match my criteria.

Ditto this
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    If they don't log in for more than 3 weeks (I give a lot of leeway because I know I can disappear for a couple weeks at a time and come back with a fierceness - and 3 weeks is how long it takes to develop a habit), are annoying, get involved with tricky diets like hcg or just think exercise will solve all their bad eating problems, get petty, etc. I will delete them. Also, people who send me friend requests and then never reach out. If I can go down the list of my friends and find someone I don't know their name and have never had a conversation with, they're gone.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have a few reasons.. Not logging for 3-4 months, eating only 1000 calories and burning almost all of them and then complaining that they aren't losing or are starving.

I personally don;t delete friends if they haven't logged in a month or so. Last March I had to take most of the month off. I was moving, didn't have internet for 2-3 weeks and no smartphone.. Got back and had lost about 50 friends!! Yes 50! I had a week last month when I had company and wasn't on my computer at all. stated so in my profile and lost about 20 friends.. TWENTY in a whole week! I think its ridiculous but to each their own..
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    in fact I have a friend now who hasn't logged in and won't be because she passed away. But I won't be deleting her, because I remember the support she gave ME when she was active.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I go through my list once in a while and remove any one who has not logged in for more than 2 weeks whos name I don't really recognise (aka we obviously didn't interact too much any way). If it's someone I recognise I will go to their profile and see if there's any obvious reason they have not logged in and maybe give them a nudge.

I've never removed any one because I don't agree with their methods etc, I think it actually does me good to have people I don't agree with or approve of in my feed as it motivates ME to do better.
  • thesmellofapples
    thesmellofapples Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    don't log on in over a week
    post negatively about their looks constantly
    constantly eat way too little
    if they never bother to be supportive to me or anyone else
    if i'm friends with them for a month or more and i've never spoken to them
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I don't delete friends. :flowerforyou: