How many calories do you eat a day?

Options

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    400-700

Why? Why so little?

Seriously, this thread make me so sad, especially many of the women here. What made these women all think they need to starve to lose weight?

If I eat more then 1200 a day I GAIN..MY doctor said 1000 is perfect, with exercise. This past week I ate 1200 or more. I exercised..GAINED 4 POUNDS. UNLESS I STARVE I DONT LOSE

It is expected that you will gain weight after increasing your calories. You have to give it time. Patience. I can gain 4 lbs in a day and lose it the next. Your weight will fluctuate.

It's also sad that we allow doctors these days to give such advice without the proper training and education.

He is trained and educated. In a serious illness he saved my life. Dont be so quick to judge,,,what do you do?

Exactly, Doctors are trained to treat diseases and illness. They do not get much education in nutrition.

If you're really that curious, I work in cancer research.
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    400-700

Why? Why so little?

Seriously, this thread make me so sad, especially many of the women here. What made these women all think they need to starve to lose weight?

If I eat more then 1200 a day I GAIN..MY doctor said 1000 is perfect, with exercise. This past week I ate 1200 or more. I exercised..GAINED 4 POUNDS. UNLESS I STARVE I DONT LOSE

It is expected that you will gain weight after increasing your calories. You have to give it time. Patience. I can gain 4 lbs in a day and lose it the next. Your weight will fluctuate.

It's also sad that we allow doctors these days to give such advice without the proper training and education.

He is trained and educated. In a serious illness he saved my life. Dont be so quick to judge,,,what do you do?

I find it hilarious that most people on this website consider 1200 calories to be the "magic number," and going 1 calorie below that will result in immediate negative consequences. It's utter nonsense. Depending on your height, weight, and metabolism, 1000 calories may be the perfect number for you. People don't seem to take into account the fact that 1200 is simply a suggestion, rather than a concrete value. Everyone is different.
  • justanotherbrickinthewall
    Options
    400-700

Why? Why so little?

I find it hilarious that most people on this website consider 1200 calories to be the "magic number," and going 1 calorie below that will result in immediate negative consequences. It's utter nonsense. Depending on your height, weight, and metabolism, 1000 calories may be the perfect number for you. People don't seem to take into account the fact that 1200 is simply a suggestion, rather than a concrete value. Everyone is different.

^ That.
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    400-700

Why? Why so little?

You are not a unique snowflake.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Goodness folks. Many of you are really doing yourselves a disservice by eating so little. It is truly not the way to go.

My net is usually around 1750-1900. I eat a total of about 1900-2300 calories per day, depending on exercise. Except this week, I'm trying to take a break from exercise and eat at maintenance. Maintenance for me, without exercise, is 2200-2400 calories per day, depending on activity level.

The professional dieter will never get that sometimes more is less...lol
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    400-700

Why? Why so little?

thank you...You are the voice of reason. You are right on!!!
  • jadebvb92
    Options
    i net around 1340
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    Sometimes i eat 800 and some days i eat 1300 it all depends on if i had to work that day. Im a housekeeper and i cant eat at work so i normally eat a big b-fast and then no lunch and a medium size dinner. I wish i knew how many calories i burned at work that would be amazing as of right now i guess but i normally dont ever eat my exercise calories because im never hungry enough
  • lizgreenhill
    Options
    Sometimes i eat 800 and some days i eat 1300 it all depends on if i had to work that day. Im a housekeeper and i cant eat at work so i normally eat a big b-fast and then no lunch and a medium size dinner. I wish i knew how many calories i burned at work that would be amazing as of right now i guess but i normally dont ever eat my exercise calories because im never hungry enough
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    400-700

Why? Why so little?

If the voice of reason is eating 1,000 calories or less per day, with a goal weight of 115 lbs at 5'10", then I must be crazy.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    If you really gain weight on 1200 calories a day? Maybe you should work on re-building your metabolism. Otherwise, you'll be eating less than 1000 calories a day for the rest of your life. How miserable is that?
  • krissybabydoll
    Options
    I try to keep it under 800 calories a day. I eat a low carb, low calorie healthy diet of salads, lean meats, vegies, lots of water and also herbal teas. I know its under the recommended amount, but the diet works. I have sliced off a whole dress size in 2 weeks, and I plan to make it more of a lifestyle. On the weekends I have about 1500 calories, because life is too short to NEVER touch that Tirimisu or burgers & fries... but I just make sure once it's Monday I get back into my low carb eating again.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    It really depends what you're eating as well..1500 calories of whole grains, lean meats, fruits and veggies verses 1500 calories of take out and packaged food is very different..
  • yukimiyazawa
    yukimiyazawa Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    400-700

Why? Why so little?

If the voice of reason is eating 1,000 calories or less per day, with a goal weight of 115 lbs at 5'10", then I must be f*cking crazy.

Perhaps. :D
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it under 800 calories a day. I eat a low carb, low calorie healthy diet of salads, lean meats, vegies, lots of water and also herbal teas. I know its under the recommended amount, but the diet works. I have sliced off a whole dress size in 2 weeks, and I plan to make it more of a lifestyle. On the weekends I have about 1500 calories, because life is too short to NEVER touch that Tirimisu or burgers & fries... but I just make sure once it's Monday I get back into my low carb eating again.

This !!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    HELLLLO <333

I'm 5'8.8" 133 pounds and I eat 2500-3000 calories a dayyy.
    (i do run 40 miles a weeek, but stilll)

YES :D !

no need to develop an eating disorder to lose weight
  • _GlaDOS_
    Options
    HELLLLO <333

I'm 5'8.8" 133 pounds and I eat 2500-3000 calories a dayyy.
    (i do run 40 miles a weeek, but stilll)

YES :D !

no need to develop an eating disorder to lose weight

And just look at how amazing you look! :D
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    2200 ... according to my Body Media I burn 2500 on a rest day and 3000 on a usual work out day!
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    I follow what MFP advises - 1380 a day, trying to lose 1/2 lb a week. Been here since mid-August, and it's working out just fine. When I exercise and get more calories, I usually eat them........not always, but most days.

I cannot imagine living on 500/600 calories a day! That, to me, is just crazy.

I went into this adventure with the thought that I need to make slow, life-long changes..............at 57 yrs old, I'm not trying to be skinny, just wanting to be healthier.
  • iwanttobeperfect
    Options
    I try to eat at least 1,200 everyday.