Cutting dairy from diet? Your thoughts...

Options

Replies

• alpepp
    alpepp Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I cut dairy (except for small amounts of Greek yogurt and parmesan for cooking)and my rosacea cleared right up. I began eating dairy over Thanksgiving and my face is now completely broken out. So back to no dairy again for me!
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Ha, you're fun for jumping back in on this, you rock :) ... thought I should probably stop because I think the OP's question was something about dairy ... not munchie-causing muffins ... though it was a fun tangent!
    Oh the muffin addictions are so much worse than the cheese! don't even get me started ;)
    Let's not even go there ... it gives me the chills ...
    My addiction is so strong, I have been known to hijack old ladies for their muffins. Who knows what would happen if I stopped casein cold turkey....!!!
    And then you get the munchies and buy more muffins ... it's a vicious cycle ... *sigh* ...
    I also recently became vegan after researching the effects of milk/dairy on the body and I definitely feel about 100x times better than I did when I ate dairy and meat. Dairy products also contain casein, a protein that breaks down into casomorphin, a naturally occurring opiate. This essentially causes us to be addicted to dairy (why I had cheese cravings hardcore for my first 3 weeks as a vegan). Cutting out dairy is not for everyone, but I can say from personal experience that I feel better and it has helped jump start my weight loss.

Know what else is an opiate? Poppy seeds.

No wonder lemon poppyseed muffins are SO ****ING YUMMY!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I see. And this Alan Aragon you quote is the all-knowing of nutrition. Someone who, when I do a quick search, I can't find any info about other than his own self-proclamations. Hmmm.

He's no Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil, that's for sure :laugh:
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I had been told the same thing, so I cut out all dairy from my diet. After about 8 months I started having some digestive issues that seemed to have no rhyme or reason. I talked to my doctor, after multiple tests and medication trials his suggestion was to add a small amount of dairy back in. I added in yogurt first. I did have an immediate reaction. It took about a month for the initial issues to dissipate. I actually started to lose weight once my digestive issues were gone. My 2 cents worth....if you are used to it, have no issues with it, and LIKE it....don't cut it out. Any eatting plan that cuts out entire food groups needs to be looked at closely. You will have to make sure you are getting the same nutritional value from other food sources or supplements.

There is information available that goes both ways ... for and against ANY dietary habit or lifestyle. You will just have to do some research and make up your own mind. Good Luck!
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I see. And this Alan Aragon you quote is the all-knowing of nutrition. Someone who, when I do a quick search, I can't find any info about other than his own self-proclamations. Hmmm.

Was about to say xD

Alan Aragon is the all-knowing ;D
  • slrose
    slrose Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    i havnt eaten dairy in years and dont miss it a bit
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I was vegetarian all my life than switched to vegan about 9 months ago. That's what made me decide to lose weight actually I had noticed I lost ten pounds fairly quickly. It really depends on if you eat too many high calorie dairy products. I never realized it but I ate a TON of cheese.
    =]
  • december8teen
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend cutting them out completely, instead, eat them in small proportions. Proportion control is what works for me. :)
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Unless a physician specifically tells you to do so or you feel an ethical compulsion to do so, I'd not recommend trying to remove dairy from your diet as some kind of "magic bullet" to jump start your weight loss. Kick up your exercise a notch instead IMO.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Was about to say xD

Alan Aragon is the all-knowing ;D

Google "Alan Aragon": 55,100,000 results.

Google "plagirl227's father" 4 results (3 from MFP).

Just sayin'
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The whole "dairy is good for you and is an essential part of your diet" is a complete scam. Think about it....the dairy industry is very powerful. Milk has calcium, yes. Does your body get to use that calcium? Ummm...no. In fact, dairy makes the situation worse.

Here you go:

American women have been consuming an average of two pounds of milk per day for their entire lives, yet thirty million American women have osteoporosis. Drinking milk does not prevent bone loss. Bone loss is accelerated by ingesting too much protein, and milk has been called "liquid meat."

In order to absorb calcium, the body needs comparable amounts of another mineral element, magnesium. Milk and dairy products contain only small amounts of magnesium. Magnesium is the center atom of chlorophyll:

"Osteoporosis is caused by a number of things, one of the most important being too much dietary protein."

Science 1986;233(4763)

"Countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis, such as the United States, England, and Sweden, consume the most milk. China and Japan, where people eat much less protein and dairy food, have low rates of osteoporosis."

Nutrition Action Healthletter, June, 1993

"What appears to be important in bone metabolism is not calcium intake, but calcium balance. The loss of bone integrity among many post menopausal white women probably results from genetics and from diet and lifestyle factors. Research shows that calcium losses are increased by the use of animal protein, salt, caffeine, and tobacco, and by physical inactivity."

Neal Barnard, M.D., Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, Understanding Health, December, 1999

"Dietary protein increases production of acid in the blood which can be neutralized by calcium mobilized from the skeleton."

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1995; 61 (4)

"About 50,000 Americans die each year of problems related in some way to osteoporosis."

Osteoporosis International 1993;3(3)

"Even when eating 1,400 mg of calcium daily, one can lose up to 4% of his or her bone mass each year while consuming a high-protein diet."

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1979;32(4)

"Increasing one's protein intake by 100% may cause calcium loss to double."

Journal of Nutrition, 1981; 111 (3)

"The average man in the US eats 175% more protein than the recommended daily allowance and the average woman eats 144% more."

Surgeon General's Report on Nutrition and Health, 1988

"Calcium intake demonstrated no protective in preventing bone fractures. In fact, those populations with the highest calcium intakes had higher fracture rates than those with more modest calcium intakes."

Calif Tissue Int 1992;50

"There is no significant association between teenaged milk consumption and the risk of adult fractures. Data indicate that frequent milk consumption and higher dietary calcium intakes in middle aged women do not provide protection against hip or forearm fractures... women consuming greater amounts of calcium from dairy foods had significantly increased risks of hip fractures, while no increase in fracture risk was observed for the same levels of calcium from nondairy sources."

12-year Harvard study of 78,000 women American Journal of Public Health 1997;87

"Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, were associated with an increased risk of hip fractures...metabolism of dietary protein causes increased urinary excretion of calcium."

American Journal of Epidemiology 1994;139
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like someone is pushing their preferences on you. When looking at things from a calorie in vs. calorie out standpoint, why would cutting dairy make any difference? Do you not like cheese, milk and all that other delicious dairy stuff?
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I have cut out cheese because I was addicted to it and I tend to have to go cold turkey on foods or I can't overcome it. So, I don't buy cheese anymore (except Laughing Cow and eat that in limited quanities). I rarely drank milk before so don't drink it now. I do eat cottage cheese though......love it, but have to watch the sodium and calories in it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    The whole "dairy is good for you and is an essential part of your diet" is a complete scam. Think about it....the dairy industry is very powerful. Milk has calcium, yes. Does your body get to use that calcium? Ummm...no. In fact, dairy makes the situation worse.

Here you go:

American women have been consuming an average of two pounds of milk per day for their entire lives, yet thirty million American women have osteoporosis. Drinking milk does not prevent bone loss. Bone loss is accelerated by ingesting too much protein, and milk has been called "liquid meat."

In order to absorb calcium, the body needs comparable amounts of another mineral element, magnesium. Milk and dairy products contain only small amounts of magnesium. Magnesium is the center atom of chlorophyll:

"Osteoporosis is caused by a number of things, one of the most important being too much dietary protein."

Science 1986;233(4763)

"Countries with the highest rates of osteoporosis, such as the United States, England, and Sweden, consume the most milk. China and Japan, where people eat much less protein and dairy food, have low rates of osteoporosis."

Nutrition Action Healthletter, June, 1993

"What appears to be important in bone metabolism is not calcium intake, but calcium balance. The loss of bone integrity among many post menopausal white women probably results from genetics and from diet and lifestyle factors. Research shows that calcium losses are increased by the use of animal protein, salt, caffeine, and tobacco, and by physical inactivity."

Neal Barnard, M.D., Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine, Understanding Health, December, 1999

"Dietary protein increases production of acid in the blood which can be neutralized by calcium mobilized from the skeleton."

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1995; 61 (4)

"About 50,000 Americans die each year of problems related in some way to osteoporosis."

Osteoporosis International 1993;3(3)

"Even when eating 1,400 mg of calcium daily, one can lose up to 4% of his or her bone mass each year while consuming a high-protein diet."

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 1979;32(4)

"Increasing one's protein intake by 100% may cause calcium loss to double."

Journal of Nutrition, 1981; 111 (3)

"The average man in the US eats 175% more protein than the recommended daily allowance and the average woman eats 144% more."

Surgeon General's Report on Nutrition and Health, 1988

"Calcium intake demonstrated no protective in preventing bone fractures. In fact, those populations with the highest calcium intakes had higher fracture rates than those with more modest calcium intakes."

Calif Tissue Int 1992;50

"There is no significant association between teenaged milk consumption and the risk of adult fractures. Data indicate that frequent milk consumption and higher dietary calcium intakes in middle aged women do not provide protection against hip or forearm fractures... women consuming greater amounts of calcium from dairy foods had significantly increased risks of hip fractures, while no increase in fracture risk was observed for the same levels of calcium from nondairy sources."

12-year Harvard study of 78,000 women American Journal of Public Health 1997;87

"Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, were associated with an increased risk of hip fractures...metabolism of dietary protein causes increased urinary excretion of calcium."

American Journal of Epidemiology 1994;139

Those papers are REALLY OLD, for one thing. 20 years ago people didn't even have the internet. For another thing, are you saying to cut out protein or something? Very high-protein diets can cause some calcium excretion--note that one study mentioned a 100 PERCENT increase--but that doesn't apply to a normal diet. Lastly...you didn't post any methods. How can we critique a paper without seeing its methods?

I hate seeing these ancient artifact papers being picked clean for facts that support an argument by people who don't understand how to choose or read a research article.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    You can get protien and calcium from nuts, legumes etc. But its definitely a personal choice, do whatever you think is best for your body :) And I think almond milk has the same calcium as dairy milk but not as much protien....... I think.

Good point, however, if you're going to cut out dairy--one of the best sources for calcium--make sure you are taking a calcium supplement that contains vitamin D. When you're cutting calories to lose weight, it's almost impossible for your body to get all the vitamins and minerals it needs from food alone. Always take a high quality vitamins to help replace that as well as essential fatty acids. Your body will thank you.
  • december8teen
    Options
    I hate seeing these ancient artifact papers being picked clean for facts that support an argument by people who don't understand how to choose or read a research article.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

And she let's them HAVE IT! I LOVE IT.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options

At least I have studies. I'm sure you did a ton of research before deciding dairy was good for you, right? You didn't just...I don't know...hear it at school or EVERYWHERE?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options

At least I have studies. I'm sure you did a ton of research before deciding dairy was good for you, right? You didn't just...I don't know...hear it at school or EVERYWHERE?

I've never really had any class that told me what food was 'good' or 'bad' for me. I certainly understand digestion, though. And how to properly support an argument. Give me 10 minutes and I can pick clean a bunch of papers that WILL say calcium is good for you, etc. etc.
  • brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I used to think I didnt like dairy so went years without eating it. Then once I decided to change my lifestyle (lose weight) I introduced it again - low fat yoghurt and milk mainly. The first few months - horrible. All those years of no diary made my tummy quite upset. Apparently I had unofficially made myself lactose intolerant and have had to retrain my body. I still dont like cheese (but its more about the texture, thats just weird!) but I wont put my body through that again - I will maintain a level of dairy intake so I wont get sick again. I guess I have done the opposite - introdced it rather than eliminate it. But I havent had any problems losing weight or body shape because of it. I agree with the other posters about calories in V calories out and I think thats wholy and solely what its all about!