I give up. Gained 3 more pounds.

Options
As of this morning, I am within 5 pounds of the wieght I was at 9 months pregnant in 2007. I give up. No weight loss in a month. I started this at 173. This morning, I'm 177.8. Screw it. I'm getting a cheeseburger for lunch.

Before anyone decides to look at my diary and tell me that I need to exercise, I already know that. I'm extremely busy. "But you have to *make* the time". I know that, too. Again, I'm trying but I'm very busy. I'm not going to cut my sleep by an hour to exercise. I'm not a morning person. At night, I do homework, make dinner, give my girl a bath and get things ready for the next day. After tomorrow, I should be able to find some time because it's the last day of class for the semester. I work full time, school part time and single mom to a 4 yr old.

If you guys only knew how much I've changed my diet since I started this, you would understand my frustration. Going from eating anything and everything to 1100 - 1500 cals a day, I should've seen some results. Can I do better? Yes. But I've made big changes and haven't seen any results. I don't want criticism. I don't want anything but to vent about it. I give up.

Replies

• chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Have you talked to your doctor? If you are really staying in that calorie range, maybe there is an underlying problem.
  • 08caseyk
    Options
    Don't give up, maybe your just bloated? check your sodium levels. Or maybe it's from stress. Who knows, but you deserve to do something for yourself. Giving up will just make you feel worst later on down the line. You can have your cheeseburger too.
    You'll see your results if you give it time. Plus i've learned that you can'y always trust the scale. Go by your measurments. And good luck hun. I understand why your frustrated.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Dont give up.
    Ive been there....

I am a single parent to a 3 year old little boy.
    I go to school full time.
    I work full time.

I still find time for exercise.
    Whether its walking during my break at work,
    or doing some kinda exercise video with my son when im at home and have a couple minutes of free time to spare.

I do understand its hard but you have to really WANT it in order to make it work.
    You got this!!

If I can do it, so can you!
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Dont give up.
    Ive been there....

I am a single parent to a 3 year old little boy.
    I go to school full time.
    I work full time.

I still find time for exercise.
    Whether its walking during my break at work,
    or doing some kinda exercise video with my son when im at home and have a couple minutes of free time to spare.

I do understand its hard but you have to really WANT it in order to make it work.
    You got this!!

If I can do it, so can you!

A lil add on....
    Have you considered taking on a PE class at school?! That is what im doing next semester to help make myself have time.
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    I would check with your doctor maybe? You could have a thryroid issue or adrenal issue that's causing weight gain, or lack of loss? Something to check into at least.
  • Pocket_Pixi
    Pocket_Pixi Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    First, have you gone to your Dr. and made sure you do not have something that is preventing you from losing weight?
    Second, have you taken your measurements? sometimes the scale is full of *kitten*, and measurements can help - I have had weeks where I gain but when I take my measurements they have changed.

you have a little one at home, maybe try to find stuff you can do with her, it doesnt have to be a lot but maybe a walk after/before dinner? It is great family time where there are no distractions.

What ever you do, do not give up. This is a life long thing, and while you may not be losing weight, you have made some positive changes, you cannot expect to change everything overnight - you didnt gain weight overnight, it will not come off overnight. Making small long lasting changes will get you to your goal, which may be a long time, it might not be but your body will thank you for making the changes you have already made.
  • cortney113
    Options
    Don't give up! I know exactly how you feel, except the fact that I am 23 and have not been pregnant before, but I do know how it feels to start dieting and not see any results. I graduated college in May and during my last year I put on 10 lbs. My goal was to lose the weight and then some. I work out almost 4-5 days a week hard. I did that all summer and did not see results, I was devistated but then talked to a nutritionist and realized that I was working out too much and not eating enough. I have cut down the amount I work out because it just wasn't good for my body. I journal EVERYTHING I eat. Before I started this diet tracker I did the Flat Belly Diet and I swear by it! Get the book and do the 4-day anti bloat diet, it really works and is the best way to start a diet! Since I have started to work out and diet hard, I have lost almost 20 lbs. But I did not loose until September. Your body needs to realize what you are doing before you see results. Also give yourself a cheat day once a week because it is good to shock your body.
  • cortney113
    Options
    Also, once you weigh yourself in the morning, don't do it again for the rest of the day because it is normal that you gain weight as the day goes!
  • Strobins05
    Options
    One month is not going to change your life! You have to make the decision that you want to live a healthier life and you did that. So the "scale" says otherwise, but how do YOU feel? You say that you have a busy schedule and a beautiful 4 year old that you raise and you still made the choice to do something better for yourself. Do not look down on that because that is AWESOME! Moral to what I am saying is that YOU have to make the choice, not the SCALE, not MFP and definitely not me. Eat that hamburger if that is what you want Dear, but know that you already made the choice to live a healthier life! And that takes a you committing one day at a time, not one month! Hang in there!
  • Lolamako
    Lolamako Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Just a quick tip, the first time I lost a bunch of weight I was working a lot and didn't have/make time to workout, and I hated exercising anyways. I did a lot of squats while making copies, leg lifts, lunges between clients etc. Just 10 here and there, which added up to A LOT at the end of the day. Maybe you could start doing stuff like that? A handful of pushups off your desk/counter/wall, a burst of jumping jacks or high knees?

Also, I really love zig zagging my calories, that's helped keep me sane.

Editing to add: At that time I had NO clue about counting calories and didn't really learn anything. Part of why I gained it all back....
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. I know it's tough (I'm a single parent, too, though my kids are 13 and 14 and can do a lot for themselves). Even if you can't make time for exercise, you can still lose weight with diet alone. As others have suggested, maybe your sodium is too high or you aren't getting enough water. If you're doing everything right, though, and not losing, there could be a medical issue with the thyroid or some other underlying medical reason.

I'd suggest having and enjoying your cheeseburger, then hop right back on tomorrow. Sometimes you just need a cheeseburger! And sometimes it actually helps to take a day off from counting calories (don't go crazy, but just eat what you want for a day). Sometimes it's psychological help it gives, but sometimes it also makes your body say, "What the heck are you doing?" Keeping your body confused and "on its toes" can sometimes help.

If you still aren't losing after a couple more weeks, go see your doctor. It would be worth the time it takes to see if there is a problem (it's probably just a matter of some bloodwork to see what's going on).

As for exercise, I know what you mean about sleep. I work out on my lunch break precisely because I know I won't get up early in the morning (especially when it's cold outside...BRRRRRR!). I know you're saying you don't have the time during the day. How about while you study. Even just standing up and walking around as you read would be better than nothing. And it might stimulate your brain and make your study time more effective. Even better if you have a treadmill where you could prop your book and notes up on the display and walk while you study (I know if you're writing you can't do this, but just while you are reading and going over notes). Maybe look for a treadmill on craigslist or freecycle? Someone may be selling theirs cheap or giving it away.

Good luck, and don't give up on it. It may just take more time because of our busy schedule, but you can do it.
  • Elinaberry
    Options
    Do not give up! If you give up now you'll gain more weight and eventually you will want to lose weight again and it will be a bigger challenge if you pack on extra pounds.
    Exercise is very important to include while dieting. I know it's hard to find time (I work and go to school too) but adding little things like parking in the farthest spot when you go shopping and taking the stairs instead of the elevator are a good start. Sometimes I'll jog in place for 30 seconds while I have something in the microwave or do leg lifts as I'm stirring a pot on the stove. If you watch tv do crunches or jumping jacks during commercials.
    Other than adding exercise I would double check your portion sizes. Read all your labels and makes you you are eating the correct portions. Also make sure you're including calories in drinks. Some people forget about that!
    Feel free to friend me. I have been dieting on and off for years and am always willing to give tips and support!
    Good luck and DON'T give up!!
  • darrcn5
    darrcn5 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    If you give up, you're definitely not going to reach your goal. I recommend weighing first thing in the morning every single day. Look for overall trends instead of focusing on the day to day number. I do not like the idea of only weighing once a week because if I have a high sodium dinner or bloat or whatever, I am going to miss seeing my loss.
  • tbudge
    tbudge Posts: 114
    Options
    I hear ya...i gained 2 pounds and I eat about 1000 cals a day, plus I work out 6 days a week. My problem is the mirena IUD that I have. It makes me maintain weight. Are you on any type of birth control or meds that might make you retain and/or gain? If nothing else, go to the dr and have your thyroid checked and check for insulin resistance. It's worth a shot.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I hear ya...i gained 2 pounds and I eat about 1000 cals a day, plus I work out 6 days a week. My problem is the mirena IUD that I have. It makes me maintain weight. Are you on any type of birth control or meds that might make you retain and/or gain? If nothing else, go to the dr and have your thyroid checked and check for insulin resistance. It's worth a shot.

Are you sure you are eating enough? If you're only eating 1000 calories a day, you're not even eating at your BMR, plus you're working out. That's not enough fuel to keep your body going. You're risking organ failure as well as reaching a point where your body is going to hold onto fat instead of releasing it.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Don't give up, and quit making excuses. If you really want it, then you will "find the time" to add exercise, and keep control over your diet.

Weight loss doesn't happen overnight. I have been stuck in a plateau for FOUR MONTHS. It's law school final exam time, so I am super stressed and eating like crap, but I am still making sure to take time to be active, whether going to the gym, or walking down Connecticut Avenue to check out the Christmas Tree.

Stop whining, and start acting. I promise you will see results.

And if not, then follow the other posters' advice and have a chat with your doctor. There may be something deeper inhibiting your progress.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    don't give up. you can do it. it's an extended process.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hi, don't give up!!
    I just think you need to do better with logging and keep at it. You say you've been here for a month but you've only been logging for 2 weeks! And almost every second day you have a note in your "Food Notes" saying "I was probably over more because I didn't enter this and this and this...etc" Just get more consistent with it and the results will pay off.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    You know... this might be seen as anti-the purpose of MFP, but... perhaps you're right. Maybe you should give up for now. Maybe you should put the diet on hold for now. If your life is too stressful and busy and if you're not mentally ready to make the sacrifices you need to make to lose weight, then maybe it's okay to say "now is not the time".

I have tried a million times to lose weight and I was never successful- because I was just not mentally/emotionally prepared.

I tried again and I lost. I didn't really do anything different than I have before. I just stuck with the plan longer because I was in a better place in my life than I had been in the past.

It's okay (in my opinion) to say "not now".

Maybe now is the time you should focus on your education, on your child, on your life. Maybe the diet can wait. And you shouldn't feel like a lesser person because you put it off. You shouldn't feel like you 'failed'. Being honest with yourself about your current capabilities is a hugely good thing- and if you've got too much on your plate and the diet is a lower priority than school, work, kid, sleep... be honest about it and wait until you can make the diet a priority. The world won't end if you wait.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    As of this morning, I am within 5 pounds of the wieght I was at 9 months pregnant in 2007. I give up. No weight loss in a month. I started this at 173. This morning, I'm 177.8. Screw it. I'm getting a cheeseburger for lunch.

Before anyone decides to look at my diary and tell me that I need to exercise, I already know that. I'm extremely busy. "But you have to *make* the time". I know that, too. Again, I'm trying but I'm very busy. I'm not going to cut my sleep by an hour to exercise. I'm not a morning person. At night, I do homework, make dinner, give my girl a bath and get things ready for the next day. After tomorrow, I should be able to find some time because it's the last day of class for the semester. I work full time, school part time and single mom to a 4 yr old.

If you guys only knew how much I've changed my diet since I started this, you would understand my frustration. Going from eating anything and everything to 1100 - 1500 cals a day, I should've seen some results. Can I do better? Yes. But I've made big changes and haven't seen any results. I don't want criticism. I don't want anything but to vent about it. I give up.

If you're not willing to put forth the effort, quit *****ing about gaining weight.

I work 70-80 hrs a week and I still find time to run, eat right and go to the gym.