What's your frame/build? I'm 5'3"and...

Options
12346»

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention- the website I used to calculate my frame size also had a way to get a rough idea.

Wrap your thumb and middle finger around your wrist. If your fingers overlap, your frame is small, if they touch, it's average, and if they don't touch, its large. Not sure how accurate that is, but my finger definitely overlap, and I have really small hands.

I think it's forefinger, not middle finger. Nearly everyone's middle finger overlaps.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Your frame is the size of your boney frame, not the flesh attached. Here are some charts for men and women that use either wrist circumference or elbow breadth to tell.

http://www.am-i-fat.com/body_frame_size.html

"In order to refine and define theoretical weights, researchers added frame size as a factor. The sizes are categorized into three categories:- Small frame, medium frame and large frame. The reason for this is that obviously bone structures vary in size and density from person to person. Equally obviously men and women have different structures. Bone mass and muscle mass all play a part in determining your optimal weight."

Could you explain to me why according to my wrist measurement (bone) I have a very small frame, but if I take my elbow measurement (where I have muscle) it says I have large frame? I know I have a small frame because of my rib cage and hip width, but different people have different sized bones in different places, you can have small wrists but wide hips, for example. Measuring one place is far too simplistic to give any idea.
  • rowerrunnercmt
    Options
    I think I'm a medium frame, but I don't know!
    I'm 5'8" and currently 177 pounds. When I was 5'7" my lowest weight was 142 (US size 8/10). Right now I'm a size 12/14, but I think I'd be an 8/10 again at my goal weight of 160.
    I have a hard time finding shirts/jackets that are long enough in the torso and the sleeves, and pants long enough in the leg but high enough in the rise. But I think this is just my height rather than my frame size.