SICK: How many calories should I consume?

Options
I am really sick with cold, fever, sore throat, sneezing, runny nose, the works basically...I typically eat 1200 calories, but that is too low imo while you are sick. Any suggestions on how to calculate a sick calorie intake...or ideas for that matter...

Thanks much everyone!

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but I am also sick with similar symptoms, and can't bring myself to eat anything much. I think I am on about 900 for the day.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I would just listen to your body and eat if you are hungry...drink lots of fluids and get better. Worry about tracking after you get better. That's my advice anyhow.
  • BobbyClerici
    BobbyClerici Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Load up on fresh fruits and veggies - forget counting calories for a day.
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    thanks all...i am glad I listened to my body yesterday...i felt a little guilty just eating whatever...but will definitely try to make it nutrient rich
  • crisnis
    crisnis Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Your body is going to need more calories while it fights this illness, but how much more no one can say. Eat good calories and drink as much fluids as you're able.
  • merB89
    merB89 Posts: 122
    Options
    Yes, I would forget calorie counting for the day as well. Eat some nutritious food if you can, fruits and veggies and maybe a little comfort food too. Chicken noodle soup! or some grilled cheese? You just need to fuel your body so it can fight this off. Feel better! Dont forget liquids!
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Another sicky here :( I'm trying to eat as well as possible and do a little exercise (the dog still needs walking), bloody exhausted though!
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just got over a similar cold and I was ravenously hungry all the time, so I carried on counting cals, but upped them to my maintenance amount, so I didn't loose, but at least I also didn't gain.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I felt awful yesterday, did not exercise, planned out my calories and logged enough food to just barely hit my maintenance calories, but then ended up eating 200 over maintenance in 'I feel like crap' snacks after I'd finished logging. Then today my scale was finally down 1.6 lbs after being stuck for a week. LOL So yeah don't stress over trying to be under on calories. Go ahead and eat if you have an appetite.
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    I don't know, but I am also sick with similar symptoms, and can't bring myself to eat anything much. I think I am on about 900 for the day.

Hope you feel better soon!
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    Another sicky here :( I'm trying to eat as well as possible and do a little exercise (the dog still needs walking), bloody exhausted though!

I hope you feel better real soon!!! Honestly I am so miserable right now...
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    I felt awful yesterday, did not exercise, planned out my calories and logged enough food to just barely hit my maintenance calories, but then ended up eating 200 over maintenance in 'I feel like crap' snacks after I'd finished logging. Then today my scale was finally down 1.6 lbs after being stuck for a week. LOL So yeah don't stress over trying to be under on calories. Go ahead and eat if you have an appetite.

Hope you feel better soon too...crossing my fingers for weigh in day...it's wednesday!
  • Alee4nia
    Options
    I just got over a similar cold and I was ravenously hungry all the time, so I carried on counting cals, but upped them to my maintenance amount, so I didn't loose, but at least I also didn't gain.

Exactly, I feel extra hungry too...
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options

Hope you feel better soon!

Thanks! You too.
  • Jagmamma
    Options
    Yes, I would forget calorie counting for the day as well. Eat some nutritious food if you can, fruits and veggies and maybe a little comfort food too. Chicken noodle soup! or some grilled cheese? You just need to fuel your body so it can fight this off. Feel better! Dont forget liquids!

My advice exactly. Avoid junk because honestly, it would make it just as hard for your body to heal itself as eating too few calories, you know? Comfort food can be nutritious too! :D
  • sunnybrunette126
    sunnybrunette126 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too and all I want is my bed.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I vote for "skip the logging" too. Eat if you feel up to it. Don't eat if you don't. Drink plenty of fluids and rest as needed. Then get back to it when you're feeling better.
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options

I hope you feel better real soon!!! Honestly I am so miserable right now...

Aw thanks, you too, big cyber hugs coming your way x
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I was in an accident recently where I injured my thigh pretty badly and was advised a complete break from cardio for 3-4 days. was also told to up my cals and to eat more nutritiously. I ended up eating 200 over my net for a couple of days (which consisted of a few extra veggies, more oranges).
    3rd day the scale showed a loss of 2 lbs!

best thing you could do is to supply your body what it needs, especially in times when it could use the extra energy to recover! perhaps in my case it gave my metabolism a boost.

And remember you're in this journey for the long-haul and its important to keep yourself on a mental high!
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options

My advice exactly. Avoid junk because honestly, it would make it just as hard for your body to heal itself as eating too few calories, you know? Comfort food can be nutritious too! :D

I've been getting sick over the course of the day, so that's what I'm doing. Home for some Russian Tea!