SICK: How many calories should I consume?

Options

Replies

• Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I'm sick too and all I want is my bed.

Hoping you body heals in no time!
  • Alee4nia
    Alee4nia Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I was in an accident recently where I injured my thigh pretty badly and was advised a complete break from cardio for 3-4 days. was also told to up my cals and to eat more nutritiously. I ended up eating 200 over my net for a couple of days (which consisted of a few extra veggies, more oranges).
    3rd day the scale showed a loss of 2 lbs!

best thing you could do is to supply your body what it needs, especially in times when it could use the extra energy to recover! perhaps in my case it gave my metabolism a boost.

And remember you're in this journey for the long-haul and its important to keep yourself on a mental high!

Hoping your recovery is a speedy one!
  • spottedlee
    Options
    You mean we can't rely on grandma's remedy (chicken soup) and OJ?
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Bumping for current nationwide sickness--most everyone here said, "Eat if you can; don't bother checking." That's fine, but most medical research says that eating at a prolonged deficit can contribute to a compromised immune system.

I've been sick since Tuesday with no other symptoms than a mild headache, weak/tiredness (not extreme), and crazy inflamed lymph nodes. I've been eating at my BMR/slightly below my BMR (about 1400-1500) for a month, and I'm concerned that eating JUST at my BMR or slightly lower isn't doing my (sick) body any favors.

Any updates to people who have gotten sick and upped their calories? Did you feel better faster?

I want to lift ;(
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Your body needs energy and nutrition to fight off illness. I vote maintenance calories or at least somewhat close to it when sick. Maintenance won't make you gain weight but it might help you feel better. :-)
  • Lori19509
    Lori19509 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Sicky 2013:
    I have been eating really well until I got sick with cold/ sinus infection. The first few days I was eating well as the week rolled out I gave into junk. Now I noticed that it has made me feel
    sleep iceday I'm pushing to eat better. Tomorrow I go to the doctor, now I have hot flashes, weakness, tiredness. PLEASE DONT EAT JUNK, IT WILL MAKE YOU FEEL WORSE, UPSET YOU, REST THE BEST YOU CAN.i cant sleep in the daytime
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Add me to the sick group-horrible cough (my kids had it for weeks and it turned to bronchitis yippee). So far I've had a sweet potato and am at about 500 calories. I have absolutely no appetite and can't taste a thing (think all the Halls I've been popping have burned off my taste buds :grumble: ). Who knows if I'll eat anything else today-food sounds awful right now bleh.
  • Lori19509
    Options
    Today my appetite is down. Our you getting hot flashes big time too. Especially after hot or warm things go in, tears.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about losing weight, but I recommend logging to make sure you don't go above your maintenance calories. Sometimes it's easier and more appetizing to reach for unhealthy choices when you're sick, so logging will help to make sure you're not overeating, especially if your appetite and hunger regulation are a bit messed up. I've been sick for the past week and have very little appetite, so I'm eating around my BMR to lose 1 pound/week. I don't want to go lower because I don't want my body struggling to recover.
  • Lori19509
    Options
    Today my appetite is down. Our you getting hot flashes big time too. Especially after hot or warm things go in, tears.
  • Lori19509
    Options
    Sorry reposted
  • Lori19509
    Options
    I agree. Ilive in southwest Florida, always confused if I need air , windows open. Today my brother in law Jeff told me to go out get fresh air by the pool. What do you think?
  • Lori19509
    Options
    Pushing salad
  • Lori19509
    Options
    Finished salad, had matzo ball soup a cup, 6 crackers. I layed by the pool for about 45 minutes.
  • Lori19509
    Options
    845 calories so far . Im going to up my fiber with fiber one 90 , two
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I have a stomach bug right now and some days are eating barely anything at all, i'm still tracking, but if I was hungrier I probably wouldn't be. but if I was hungry and wanted to track I think eating at maintenence cals would be ideal.
  • Lori19509
    Options
    Feel better
  • Lori19509
    Options
    I am ar the doctors now strep and flu tests were given. Waiting for results. I had 1,365 after adding food to get out of the danger zone of hurting myself with calories. Weighed 204.2 at doctors. BUMMERS.
  • Lori19509
    Options
    I have swollen glands.
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Your body is mostly water. You can survive about 40 days without food, but you CANNOT survive without water...SO drink up . Drink your foods until you can feel better. Chicken sooup, broth, gatorade, water. Just eat when you have apettite again. Dont forget to drink up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!