Attention Emergency Response Personnel Bashers!

Options

Replies

• SherriH69
    Options
    Much appreciated, thank you.
  • _JamieB_
    _JamieB_ Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    This post is awesome and I agree 110%!!!! THANK YOU ALL!!!!!
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    A little over a year ago, I had to report my husband to authorities for abusing our daughter. It was terrifying to do, and there was always a chance I'd get someone who didn't believe her. But I was blessed to have wonderful people that I worked with. The DFCS lady (they are another group that gets a bum rap because of a few bad apples--most child welfare workers are good people suffering from severe burnout), the victims' advocate, the detective working the case, etc., were all wonderful to us.

I also know several firefighters, police officers, etc...they are great people who make a lot of sacrifices to protect the public. I agree there are occasional bad apples, and the good folks dislike them as much as we do for giving their profession a bad name! Overall, we should appreciate the work they do, and when we run across a bad one, we should make sure their actions are reported to the proper supervisor so they can be dealt with.
  • Munque
    Munque Posts: 123
    Options
    This post is awesome, although I do agree that not all cops are good, but some of them are amazing.

When I was about 19, I was having surgery in another town, I came home and my house had been robbed. All the kids christmas presents, everything in my house that plugged in, jewlery and even my food was taken, pictures on the walls, everything. We called the police, of course, nothing was ever found and nobody was ever caught. But the officer that went through my house with me showed up at my parents house on Christmas Eve with a tv, some toys for the kids and boxes of disney movies. That man, was an angel and though my kids were too young to remember, he made their christmas.

Another officer, came to my house after my daughters dad tried to break in (he was rather abusive), there wasn't a whole lot of damage, but he did break off my front door handle, the officer put the door knob back on for me and asked if I needed help replacing it because it was just a temporary fix. He drove by about 20 times that night keeping an eye on my house for me. He too was an angel.

I have bad stories about cops too, but I mean, everyone hears those all the time.
  • TRIMoses59
    TRIMoses59 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I truly thank you for me, my husband and my daughter. We are all EMT's and love what we do! .
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    I just thanked the State Trooper who gave me a ticket on Sunday for speeding!! He was nice enough and after he gave me the ticket he said "Here is the ticket and have a good day" to which I said "Thanks and you too". Then I looked at my husband and I said "Why in the hell did I just say thank you for a ticket" hahaha

I'm polite so when someone says have a nice day I tend to always respond thanks and you too:)
  • Abbey70
    Abbey70 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I agree their are a lot off good ones out there and am thankful for them but their are ones out there that need to learn to shut their mouths. I work in a nursing/rehab facility and when EMT's come in they say rude things regarding the patient, such as "this person isn't going to make it anyway. Why are we taking him or her?" They say worse also but they also say these things in front of the patients family members and those of us that care for them and do have a heart. Some of these people come back with a full recovery. So please watch what you say. Thanks to all that care and work their butts off for family, strangers and friends.
  • Sh1tsRainbows
    Sh1tsRainbows Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    :heart: Thank you!!!!! :drinker:
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    THIS IS FOR NOT ONLY ALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS AND THE FAMILY OF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS, BUT ALSO THOSE ON HERE THAT ARE BASHING THOSE OFFICERS.....

"Oh, you're a cop? That’s cool. I wanted to do that when I was a kid. What do you make?"

What do I make? I make it possible to keep back the chaos every day.
    I make five minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up.
    I make going to work for your family's safety a duty that I will die for.
    I make working holidays, nights, during hurricanes, riots, terrorist attacks and other disasters a standard day.
    I make the fact that I may not get to eat, or get a break or cannot use the restroom when I need to, part of my job.
    I make running towards the gunfire and bad guys, so that you remain safe, an automatic reaction.
    I make getting shot at, stabbed, spit on, punched and kicked at work, an expected part of my day.
    I make working for people who most often dislike me, swear at me, and complain about everything I do or do not do routine.
    I make working 12-hour shifts until 6 a.m., my day at the office, so you and your family can sleep safely, a way of life.
    Today I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life.
    I make a difference.

WHAT DO YOU MAKE?

:flowerforyou: Thank you.
  • AubreysMommy30
    AubreysMommy30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all the emergency personnel, however let's not forget our soldiers who guard our borders day and night. Lets especially remember to thank our Vets who up until recent years, didn't have a choice in the matter. For decades, the U.S. Government chose who went to war and who didn't. So lets not forget those who were forced to sacrifice their lives for us! Thank you to all of the public servants who make sure our safety and way of life is preserved. :happy:
  • KrisPage
    KrisPage Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I total agree..... Hydro Lineman should be in there too !Funny when our lights and power go out, most people complain that they missed the ending to their "reality show...or that they cant have a warm cooked dinner or that they have been in the dark for a few hours.....not considering that someones father, dad or uncle have been working in the pouring rain ..snow storm & freezing temperatures working with THOUSANDS of electric voltages/currents and in a blink of an eye....things could go terrible wrong !
    This was my dad he won and award in Missouri for carrying downed lines across a raging flooded river in a small bass boat because the bridge was out to get lights back on for 1000 of people in a small community.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he had his reasons which he justified, if not, he would now be out of a job as I'm sure you lodged a complaint, did you not?

Or perhaps this Officer WAS a complete jerk who shouldn't be in the job. Does that mean that the rest of Police officers and Emergency Services personnel cannot be commended in this post?

This is true. That would be like saying, "I found a rotten apple. Therefore, all apples are rotten and I will never eat them." Logic doesn't compute...
    You have described the cornerstone of prejudice. If only it were just apples that suffered.

I like Fuji the best, by the way.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Assuming no prior history with the parties involved, we have no way of knowing if anyone (police/EMT/firefighter/vet) is a good person or not. In fact, their prior acts of heroism do nothing, nothing at all to mitigate their behavior from instance to the next. It sucks but it's true.

That said, people on the receiving end need to have a little perspective and the ability to realize when someone is just being gruff because they're tired and when someone is actually stepping over the line. Obviously we're all human and we all make mistakes, but no one who gets my tax dollars is exempt from acting like a professional. Sure, they may get my sympathy and understanding (depending on the person) for the extreme conditions they work in, but an expectation of minimum standards of behavior is not unreasonable.
  • Goose28in
    Goose28in Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You forgot the 911 call takers/dispatchers, we too are first responders!
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • frenchprairiegirl
    Options
    You forgot the 911 call takers/dispatchers, we too are first responders!

I didn't forget, I'm a communicator/dispatcher as well. I sorta lump us in with all first responders! :)
  • frenchprairiegirl
    Options
    THIS IS FOR NOT ONLY ALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS AND THE FAMILY OF LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS, BUT ALSO THOSE ON HERE THAT ARE BASHING THOSE OFFICERS.....

"Oh, you're a cop? That’s cool. I wanted to do that when I was a kid. What do you make?"

What do I make? I make it possible to keep back the chaos every day.
    I make five minutes seem like a lifetime when I am fighting a suspect while waiting for back up.
    I make going to work for your family's safety a duty that I will die for.
    I make working holidays, nights, during hurricanes, riots, terrorist attacks and other disasters a standard day.
    I make the fact that I may not get to eat, or get a break or cannot use the restroom when I need to, part of my job.
    I make running towards the gunfire and bad guys, so that you remain safe, an automatic reaction.
    I make getting shot at, stabbed, spit on, punched and kicked at work, an expected part of my day.
    I make working for people who most often dislike me, swear at me, and complain about everything I do or do not do routine.
    I make working 12-hour shifts until 6 a.m., my day at the office, so you and your family can sleep safely, a way of life.
    Today I might make the ultimate sacrifice to save your life.
    I make a difference.

WHAT DO YOU MAKE?

:flowerforyou: Thank you.

Excellent!
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I just thanked the State Trooper who gave me a ticket on Sunday for speeding!! He was nice enough and after he gave me the ticket he said "Here is the ticket and have a good day" to which I said "Thanks and you too". Then I looked at my husband and I said "Why in the hell did I just say thank you for a ticket" hahaha

I'm polite so when someone says have a nice day I tend to always respond thanks and you too:)

I've been pulled over by officers that are obviously younger than me, but they have still earned a "Yes Sir" from me. (I always get pulled over for something silly like expired tags, not speeding/wreckless/drunk so the response is always "Yes sir.. I will get that fixed")

Also, when I am leaving a place with a lot of policemen like a football arena and they wish me a good night, i return that and wish them a SAFE night.
  • khotch1
    khotch1 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Nice post!
    Have a great day!
  • serena569
    serena569 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've never had a real "bad" experience with a cop, but many I've seen are arrogant SOB's who think they are gods. They think they deserve free stuff because they're cops, um why? They can park anywhere (even if doing personal errands) and I cannot stand the holier than thou act when giving tickets. Yes if I was speeding and got caught, I deserve the ticket, but don't act all high and mighty when most every cop speeds way more than the average citizen (in non-emergency situations) turns on their lights to go through intersections, never use their turn signal and barely breaks for a stop sign. How can I have any respect for someone whose job it is to uphold the law, but doesn't respect the law themsevles?

I use to think this too. Then I talked to a cop rather than making assumptions.

Could it be the officer turned on his or her lights to get through the intersection because they are responding to a domestic violence call? If you are the victim, you'd want them there quickly but you may not want them to arrive with lights flashing and sirens blaring.