Attention Emergency Response Personnel Bashers!

Options
1235»

Replies

• MeguPARN
    Options
    Oh, I hear ya girl. Amen to that. I was an OR nurse and felt something similar. I would go to do my pre-op interview and there were times that patients would complain that we were 30 minutes behind schedule. Seriously? My team just saved that last patient's life. If we are doing your surgery and running a bit behind because you bleed more than normal people, should we rush through so the next patient's procedure starts on time? No, we're going to make sure we do what we have to do to keep you safe. And the ER staff, thank heavens for them. That sure is a thankless job. I was lucky my patients were asleep for most of my interactions with them!
  • lcchrt
    lcchrt Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Or maybe the police officer laughed and dismissed a statutory rape case, believing the abuser more than the victim who was later serially abused by the same abuser.

Seriously though, some people are bad, some people are good. You can't just pretend every police officer/firefighter/emt is a good person. Feel free to respect them the same way you should anyone else unless given a good reason, though.

THIS. there are bad and good in every profession. I know a whole fire house of terrible people, but they do there job well. Goes without saying I'm sure there are more well intended and good than bad. I used to base my opinion of fire fighters off of that one house, then I realized they are the select few. :)
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I look at it a different way. They don't need or deserve my thanks anymore than I need theirs. We both signed up to do a dangerous job and one that we were paid pretty well for. Few people do these jobs because they are truly altruistic.
  • AreneeG31
    AreneeG31 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    It is so unfortunate that some have had negative encounters with law enforcement. Yes, there are bad ppl everywhere but we must make a point to make these ppl aware of thru the proper channels. The majority of officers are great ppl who are doing a job and putting their life on the line daily for their communities. We as citizens need to be proactive and support our Public Safety personnel to combat having "bad" cops etc in place. You have a voice, use it! but in the proper way! Go to your local representatives and make your concerns known!!!!

bwahahahahhahahahhahah

yea, good luck with that

We all know that some people dont belong in the professions that they are in. but, no way, shape or form should we think the bad ones in an agency is the norm for the profession. so, a litle luck may be in order but, I will never let an opportunity pass that I wont voice my concerns to someone if i feel it may make a positive impact somewhere. We in this profession know that we are putting ourselves on the line to help someone in need. Im always gonna look for a way to make it safer for myself, my husband as well as others in this field. In my opinion, every little bit helps!!!! Therefore, Im going to speak up to whomever will listen!
  • SarabellPlus3
    SarabellPlus3 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I look at it a different way. They don't need or deserve my thanks anymore than I need theirs. We both signed up to do a dangerous job and one that we were paid pretty well for. Few people do these jobs because they are truly altruistic.
    You're a soldier? You're definately right, they don't need or deserve thanks anyMORE than you do. LOL

I think you both deserve our thanks, because unlike my job negotiating contracts & hiring, there is no element of personal danger or risk in my job, so even though we pay you and you chose to take the job and accept the pay, you have my gratitude.

eta: Actually, though, anyone who does something for me gets and "deserves" my thanks, IMO, unless there is some strange circumstance. The woman who sold me grocies at Target 20 minutes ago got a "thank you" from me, even though I'm sure she didn't take that job altruistically.
  • mikethom
    mikethom Posts: 183 Member
    Options

You may get paid pretty well for what you do; but I certainly haven't heard that said of most people working in emergency services or the military - they get paid a living wage and I'm sure the supervisors or the commissioned officers or those in specialized trades get paid well, but I doubt the guys and gals on the front lines (so to speak) are paid all that well. Certainly the volunteers (firefighters, EMTs, etc) are not paid well at all, that's the volunteer part. I think that a great deal of thanks is owed these men and women; that is in part why I think it is important to attend the Remembrance day services every 11th of November and why I wear a red shirt most Fridays.